Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated cap situation w/ Reader's numbers
Overthecap.com (my favorite source for cap info) finally has Reader's numbers posted. He counts a tad over 10M against the cap this year.

That means that right now we have $7,766,644 in cap space for 2020. Our current rookie salary pool is about $11,873, 032. And we usually keep a $3,000,000 injury pad, or at least that's what Hobson always says.

Of course, that's with Dalton's salary on the books. Point being this is why we can't keep Dalton and everybody knows it. Subtract Dalton and we have $24,791,644.

Subtract the $14,873,000 or so we need for rookies/injuries, that would in theory leave us with just shy of $10 million to work with. However, that *includes* money for extending Mixon, which I think should be the priority. His new deal would be an extension, so basically his current salary (already accounted for above), plus the prorated portion of his signing bonus. RB contracts are hard to predict, but to be on the conservative side let's say that's about $5m, meaning we have $5m to play with (and assuming we aren't going to extend WJIII, Kevin Huber, etc).

Other factors: AJ is on the franchise tender. Negotiating a new deal with him could free up, I don't know, another 5-6 million I think. Maybe a guy like Brandon Wilson, currently counting 2.1million on the RFA tender, can be extended, bringing down his cap number. Maybe RFAs like Redmond and Carter don't even make the team, but that won't help us now (it would be 2021 roll over).

What this means to me is that IF we dump Dalton we have enough money for a low end starter or decent role player - let's say somebody like Vinny Curry. But if we want to acquire a pricier veteran, let's say as part of a Dalton trade (I'm thinking Jax linemen), we have to either put Mixon's extension off or renegotiate Green.

I'm a bit of a cap enthusiast, and this is my run down of where we're at. Feel free to let me know if you see it differently.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the write up. I’ll always defer to a cap enthusiast - I certainly don’t understand all of it. I think you covered the situation well, though - impossible to keep Dalton without letting more people go. And if he is released/traded then we have more space to add an impact player or two.

With that said - I’m surprised by some of the numbers for our TE group. That Uzomah cap hit is cringeworthy. And Cethan Carter? Wow.
Reply/Quote
We will either trade or cut Dalton and probably cut Carter to free up dough.

Thadeus Moss in the 4th as Carter's replacement. Moss or Deguara are my TE's in the mid rounds.

Well done on the cap GCD. I don't always understand all of that stuff myself.
Reply/Quote
If we were planning on drafting a TE to replace Carter, we wouldn't have tendered him the 2.1 million. That signals to me that they see him as the #3 TE for his special teams. I thought we could get a cheaper veteran for less to do the same job, but it shows that they like him.

That, and the fact that we rostered him all year as the 4th TE, when as a predominantly 21 personnel team we don't often use two TE sets. I think we'll just add a UDFA TE and go from there.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 01:40 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: If we were planning on drafting a TE to replace Carter, we wouldn't have tendered him the 2.1 million. That signals to me that they see him as the #3 TE for his special teams. I thought we could get a cheaper veteran for less to do the same job, but it shows that they like him.

That, and the fact that we rostered him all year as the 4th TE, when as a predominantly 21 personnel team we don't often use two TE sets. I think we'll just add a UDFA TE and go from there.

Could be right, still think we can easily find an upgrade over Carter.
Reply/Quote
The team has kept 4 TEs for a while now; we will definitely add one in the draft or promote someone from PS, last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 02:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The team has kept 4 TEs for a while now; we will definitely add one in the draft or promote someone from PS, last year.

True, but I suspect that will change. I think it didn't change last year because the front office wanted to keep Eifert, essentially as a reciever, not so much the coaching staff. The coaching staff seems to be having more input, and 3 TEs make more sense for a 21-personnel team. 
Reply/Quote
I should add that this is a really, really weak year for TEs in the draft, making it unlikely that there's anybody who really represents great value at any given pick.

So sure, if Franks or Schreck or whatever UDFA we add outcompetes somebody at another position for one of the final roster spots, we might keep 4 TEs. It's really more about talent and value than certain numbers at given positions.

Dehner's recent article in The Athletic also said that Simmons really likes Carter for special teams. He must be a great blocker - something that as fans we wouldn't ordinarily observe when watching games.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 03:08 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I should add that this is a really, really weak year for TEs in the draft, making it unlikely that there's anybody who really represents great value at any given pick.

So sure, if Franks or Schreck or whatever UDFA we add outcompetes somebody at another position for one of the final roster spots, we might keep 4 TEs. It's really more about talent and value than certain numbers at given positions.

Dehner's recent article in The Athletic also said that Simmons really likes Carter for special teams. He must be a great blocker - something that as fans we wouldn't ordinarily observe when watching games.

That is a great point. Blocking on ST's is a big deal.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 02:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The team has kept 4 TEs for a while now; we will definitely add one in the draft or promote someone from PS, last year.

And, don't they also like to keep a TE to be used as a situational FB?  I'm not cryin' about keeping Cethan Carter on the team, I remember a specific play from last year's dismal season, where he caught a short hitch and then looked like a bull in a china shop, knockin' dudes for YAC.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 03:03 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: True, but I suspect that will change. I think it didn't change last year because the front office wanted to keep Eifert, essentially as a reciever, not so much the coaching staff. The coaching staff seems to be having more input, and 3 TEs make more sense for a 21-personnel team. 

(04-08-2020, 03:08 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I should add that this is a really, really weak year for TEs in the draft, making it unlikely that there's anybody who really represents great value at any given pick.

With the extra roster spot, I don't see them dropping one: think they'll give Burrow as many weapons as humanly possible.

And that includes Thaddeus Moss. I can see a Jordan Palmer sitch, where he'll be drafted simply to appease (but actually compete and play well lol).

(04-08-2020, 07:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, don't they also like to keep a TE to be used as a situational FB?  I'm not cryin' about keeping Cethan Carter on the team, I remember a specific play from last year's dismal season, where he caught a short hitch and then looked like a bull in a china shop, knockin' dudes for YAC.

He did all his damaged in the NE game.

It's not a secret that I really don't like Carter or see what he brings to the team, but if he's kept for STs, then all the more reason we go 4 TEs again.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 07:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, don't they also like to keep a TE to be used as a situational FB?  I'm not cryin' about keeping Cethan Carter on the team, I remember a specific play from last year's dismal season, where he caught a short hitch and then looked like a bull in a china shop, knockin' dudes for YAC.

Might you be thinking of Mason Schreck in the preseason? 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 07:39 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Might you be thinking of Mason Schreck in the preseason? 

You know, I think that you may be right.  Thank you, I stand corrected.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 07:38 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He did all his damaged in the NE game.

It's not a secret that I really don't like Carter or see what he brings to the team, but if he's kept for STs, then all the more reason we go 4 TEs again.

I can agree on the value of a special teams guy, but $2.1M just seems kind of high for a guy they wouldn't expect to make contributions on offense as well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like Schreck and Sample for the future. Just would like that Gronk/Kelse/Kittle type...

Think we all would, that seems to be down the road though.

Still like Moss and Deguara in this Draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Schreck and Sample for the future. Just would like that Gronk/Kelse/Kittle type...

Think we all would, that seems to be down the road though.

Still like Moss and Deguara in this Draft.

Deguara would be a perfect TE3 or H-B. Really would like him as a Day 3 pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Deguara would be a perfect TE3 or H-B. Really would like him as a Day 3 pick.

Same, watched Deguara twice with the Bearcats and he was clearly the best player on the field both times.

At least for the Bearcats, one of the times I watched them they were playing OSU and got slaughtered.

Deguara still played good though from what I saw, stood out as the best player for Cincy from my eyes.

Big, can block, catch and run decent routes.
Reply/Quote