Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Upon first review...
CINCINNATI BENGALS

Quarterback
Joe Burrow was borderline perfect when operating from a clean pocket. He completed 22-of-27 such pass attempts for 232 yards and two touchdowns while producing two big-time throws and zero turnover-worthy plays. Not a single one of those five incompletions were deemed to be Burrow’s fault, either. The poor throws happened when he was under pressure. Burrow had a few high moments where he withstood the heat, but it didn't make up for the two turnover-worthy deep shots he had when under duress.

Running Back
Bengals lead back Joe Mixon entered the game banged up, and that was evident in his performance. He totaled just 33 yards on 10 carries and was charted with zero broken tackles on the ground on PFF’s first review of the game. Samaje Perine split reps with Mixon and rushed for 59 yards on 11 carries, 51 of which coming after contact.

Wide Receiver/Tight End
Victory lap season is upon us for the Ja’Marr Chase over Penei Sewell believers. Chase was responsible for all four of Cincinnati’s explosive pass plays of 15-plus yards, bringing his season total to 12. That’s tied for the most by a rookie in the first five games of their NFL career in the PFF era. Of those two explosive plays, two were deep balls, which now places him in special company among past rookie standouts.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One of Chase’s greatest attributes at LSU in 2019 was how well he got off press coverage thanks to his physicality and release package. That was apparent today, as he picked up four catches for 82 yards and an elite receiving grade when going up against press.

Offensive Line
The Cincinnati offensive line had a fine showing at a few of the starting spots, but there was one lackluster performer who brought down the group: rookie Jackson Carman. He started at right guard and allowed seven total pressures on 43 pass-block snaps. Six of the pressures came on his 19 true pass sets.

Cincinnati Offensive Line Pass-Blocking in Week 5
Player
Total Pressures     Other Losses
LT Jonah Williams
2 ----- 0
LG Quinton Spain
1 ----- 1
C Trey Hopkins
3 ----- 1
RG Jackson Carman
7 -----2
RT Riley Reiff
2 ----- 0

Defensive Line
The Bengals’ defensive line really struggled to create consistent pressure on Rodgers early in the game. Rookie Cam Sample was the only Cincinnati defensive lineman with a 70.0-plus PFF pass-rushing grade on first review, and he only played 17 total snaps in the game.

Linebacker
This was not a banner day for the Bengals’ linebacking corps. As a unit, Cincinnati linebackers allowed eight receptions for 118 yards and six first downs in coverage. The team’s three leaders in snaps played at off-ball linebacker (Logan WilsonGermaine Pratt and Akeem Davis-Gaither) all earned sub-30.0 PFF coverage grades on first review.

Secondary
Chidobe Awuzie was targeted seven more times than any other Bengals defensive back but largely held his own against the feared Adams-Rodgers connection. He allowed just eight receptions for 58 yards and three first downs on 12 targets while also picking up an interception on one of Adams’ targets. He should finish reviews as one of the Bengals’ highest-graded players in Week 5.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Thanks, rfaulk. Always interesting to look at this stuff.

Carman was just BRUTAL today. That was a Michael Jordan-esque type performance. The MJ who’s really bad at football and already got waived just to be clear. Carman was do for a welcome to the NFL game, and this was it.

Wonder what Hendrickson graded out at? I thought he was our best defensive player yet again today.

Also, Chase is absolutely phenomenal. The fact that the kid is this dominant at 21 years old is just nuts.

Reply/Quote
I could of sworn Jonah allowed a sack??
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:24 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I could of sworn Jonah allowed a sack??

Same, not sure what they are calling it when the guy went right around him to take down Burrow, guess it is just pressure.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Spain continues to be our best OL (other than the penalties). What an absolute bargain he’s turned out to be. He’s earning himself a nice bump this offseason.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:24 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I could of sworn Jonah allowed a sack??

Me too. It was certainly pointed out in the GD thread, and it was clear as day. Maybe they gave Jonah's sack to Spain?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:26 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Same, not sure what they are calling it when the guy went right around him to take down Burrow, guess it is just pressure.

Keep in mind, it's an instant view/grade. It will be reviewed before final numbers and grades are released. I'm sure it will change tomorrow.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:41 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Keep in mind, it's an instant view/grade. It will be reviewed before final numbers and grades are released. I'm sure it will change tomorrow.

Fair enough, but even in an instant that one was hard to miss lol.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, the one where the defender pulled Joe down by the jersey was definitely on Jonah.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:43 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Fair enough, but even in an instant that one was hard to miss lol.

Nearly impossible!  Shocked

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:43 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Fair enough, but even in an instant that one was hard to miss lol.

Sacks are included in Total Pressures, as well as Hurries and QB Hits.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, the one where the defender pulled Joe down by the jersey was definitely on Jonah.

That's why i laugh when people always go on about "can't take PFF as gospel". Who does that anyway?? I take it with a grain of salt. If the grade looks good or bad, when i watch it again, if it doesn't match what i see i just move on. It doesn't matter a hill of beans anyway. It's just something to look at to see where players stack up (subjectively). 

Reply/Quote
Awuzie was such a great pickup from the Cowboys. He made some great stops today. When he is on the field, you always see him doing great things for this defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:49 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's why i laugh when people always go on about "can't take PFF as gospel". Who does that anyway?? I take it with a grain of salt.

I take PFF as gospel.

But I take the Gospels with a grain of salt.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:58 AM)GodFather Wrote: Awuzie was such a great pickup from the Cowboys. He made some great stops today. When he is on the field, you always see him doing great things for this defense.

Today was the best I had seen him play.
Reply/Quote
Awuzie has been very good. And he’s making about half what Waynes does…

Another good bargain. Him and Spain, both.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Spain continues to be our best OL (other than the penalties). What an absolute bargain he’s turned out to be. He’s earning himself a nice bump this offseason.

That penalty was even more bullshit than the blown 1st down on Mixon's run.

Was a fairly clean game, but that penalty was EGREGIOUSLY bullshit.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:15 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That penalty was even more bullshit than the blown 1st down on Mixon's run.

Idk, he grabbed up around the helmet iirc.

Also, speaking of penalties, I had to chuckle a little at Reader trying to get those tree trunks up in the air to trip Rodgers lol.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 02:15 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That penalty was even more bullshit than the blown 1st down on Mixon's run.

When you compare that hold (that wasn't...defender totally lost his footing and swung his legs at the RB) to the tripping call on Reader, where he was held and went down awkwardly, you could see there was a critical bias in that officiating.   Huge moments, huge calls, but the Bengals didn't play well enough to win the game, IMHO.  

Not trying to sound like a negative Nancy, but GB gave them so many extra chances when they should have ended it and the Bengals couldn't do anything with it.  Very frustrating to watch this offense.  

The defense was pretty solid throughout, and showed they can keep the team in almost any game.  But the offense is still not in sync.  
Reply/Quote
burrow was taken to hospital with a throat contusion? any word on that
Reply/Quote