Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats former Bengal
First player in the history of the NFL to start at LT at age 40:

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1470470805062492165?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Many were miffed when the Bengals parted ways with Whit, but I'd venture to say no one expected him to be among the league's elite 5 years later.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-13-2021, 11:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First player in the history of the NFL to start at LT at age 40:

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1470470805062492165?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Many were miffed when the Bengals parted ways with Whit, but I'd venture to say no one expected him to be among the league's elite 5 years later.

That is pretty sweet, thanks for sharing the info.
Before anyone asks:

The rule has always been if it's about a former Bengal who is retired, thread goes in JN.

If it's about a former Bengal who is currently still playing on a different team, it goes elsewhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(12-13-2021, 11:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Before anyone asks:

The rule has always been if it's about a former Bengal who is retired, thread goes in JN.

If it's about a former Bengal who is currently still playing on a different team, it goes elsewhere.

Appreciate the explination but:

Kind of a silly rule as JN is for all things Bengal related. Hard to imagine Whit hitting an NFL milestone is not Bengal related.

Also AJ Green went over 10,000 receiving yards in this game..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-13-2021, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Appreciate the explination but:

Kind of a silly rule as JN is for all things Bengal related. Hard to imagine Whit hitting an NFL milestone is not Bengal related.

Also AJ Green went over 10,000 receiving yards in this game..

I get the frustration (I really do), but it keeps things nice and simple. People often look for ways to skirt the rules and throw threads they want seen into JN.

Say a guy wants to stir up things in JN by dumping a thread about how great Dalton played with the Bears (making a scenario up here, obviously). Should we allow that? Wouldn't that detract from relevant Bengals discussion?

Well if we allow this thread about Big Whit, then we'll get complaints of bias and double standards from Joe Troll who just wants some laughs watching people argue about Dalton in 2021.

There's various other reasons, but the main reason is keeping it simple for us, and allowing less "grey area" for people to argue and nitpick every decision.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
When Whitworth is done Defying the laws of aging....

He should help teach his methods to the next gen with his own strength and conditioning school/Program for OL guys.. Or be the Strength/Conditioning coach somewhere.
(12-14-2021, 03:07 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get the frustration (I really do), but it keeps things nice and simple. People often look for ways to skirt the rules and throw threads they want seen into JN.

Say a guy wants to stir up things in JN by dumping a thread about how great Dalton played with the Bears (making a scenario up here, obviously). Should we allow that? Wouldn't that detract from relevant Bengals discussion?

Well if we allow this thread about Big Whit, then we'll get complaints of bias and double standards from Joe Troll who just wants some laughs watching people argue about Dalton in 2021.

There's various other reasons, but the main reason is keeping it simple for us, and allowing less "grey area" for people to argue and nitpick every decision.

The explanation and mod work is appreciated. This board gives leeway for people to be themselves & have emotional hot takes as if we were in the stadium or watching the game at the local pub. It's nice the mods let stuff fly without over regulating. Thank you!
(12-13-2021, 11:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Before anyone asks:

And yet Packerbacker gets too post freely in the Jungle.  And every time I ask why instead of a response my post gets deleted.  I assume this one will too.

I get he's a nice guy and positive and you want people like that as part of a community but I don't see why his post cant be located in a more appropriate forum.

Not that I disagree with moving this thread, I really don't care but consistency in application of the rule would be nice.
(12-14-2021, 12:14 PM)motoarch Wrote: And yet Packerbacker gets too post freely in the Jungle.  And every time I ask why instead of a response my post gets deleted.  I assume this one will too.

I get he's a nice guy and positive and you want people like that as part of a community but I don't see why his post cant be located in a more appropriate forum.

Not that I disagree with moving this thread, I really don't care but consistency in application of the rule would be nice.

I will never understand why that guy even posts here in the first place tbh. It’s bizarre. Then again, I don’t really get fans from our division rivals posting here either…

But anyway, congrats to Whit and AJ. Both are in my top 5 favorite Bengals of all time. I think Whit is going to Canton, and maybe an outside chance for AJ if he wins a Super Bowl.

(12-14-2021, 10:46 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The explanation and mod work is appreciated. This board gives leeway for people to be themselves & have emotional hot takes as if we were in the stadium or watching the game at the local pub. It's nice the mods let stuff fly without over regulating. Thank you!

Thanks. We really do try, although it's impossible to keep everyone happy.

(12-14-2021, 12:14 PM)motoarch Wrote: And yet Packerbacker gets too post freely in the Jungle.  And every time I ask why instead of a response my post gets deleted.  I assume this one will too.

You got us on ONE thing man. Wow, we're such hypocrites. Mellow

We allow PackerBacker for a few reasons:

1. He's said the Bengals are his 2nd favorite team.
2. He barely ever posts in JN. Maybe 2-3 times a year?
3. He's a genuinely nice guy who doesn't stir trouble.
4. His posts almost always have to do with asking about the Bengals or our matchups, so JN is the place for that.
5. We've allowed fans of other teams to come ask questions, they just don't stick around like PB has.

If it ever became a problem that was hurting the boards, we'd put a stop to it. It hasn't been a problem. Literally...if he ever started posting more than he does, or stirring trouble, or stated that he wasn't a fan of the Bengals, he'd be told to not post in JN. None of that has happened though. In 5+ years.
(12-14-2021, 12:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I will never understand why that guy even posts here in the first place tbh. It’s bizarre. Then again, I don’t really get fans from our division rivals posting here either…

But anyway, congrats to Whit and AJ. Both are in my top 5 favorite Bengals of all time. I think Whit is going to Canton, and maybe an outside chance for AJ if he wins a Super Bowl.

I am puzzled by that as well.  I have never wanted to post on another team's board (granted, they are fun to read after we beat them), nor interact with other team's fans.  I rarely look at Smack Talk and only post there a few times per year, and usually in a thread where people are exhibiting a fleeting moment of maturity and are having a decent conversation.   But other people like to do that, I guess, so good on them.  And PB at least behaves himself.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
(12-14-2021, 03:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Thanks. We really do try, although it's impossible to keep everyone happy.

You got us on ONE thing man. Wow, we're such hypocrites. Mellow

We allow PackerBacker for a few reasons:

1. He's said the Bengals are his 2nd favorite team.
2. He barely ever posts in JN. Maybe 2-3 times a year?
3. He's a genuinely nice guy who doesn't stir trouble.
4. His posts almost always have to do with asking about the Bengals or our matchups, so JN is the place for that.
5. We've allowed fans of other teams to come ask questions, they just don't stick around like PB has.

If it ever became a problem that was hurting the boards, we'd put a stop to it. It hasn't been a problem. Literally...if he ever started posting more than he does, or stirring trouble, or stated that he wasn't a fan of the Bengals, he'd be told to not post in JN. None of that has happened though. In 5+ years.

I wasn't trying to get your back up.  Okay maybe a little.  I knew the post was a bit antagonistic.  

I also understood why you let him get away with it but always kind of bothered me cause I figured it wont take much to just move his thread with a polite note suggesting his should post in a more appropriate location on the board.

I keep posting about it though because I also felt a bit antagonized as Benglas fan who's posts are deleted whenever I inquire about a non Bengals fan posting.

It's a bit petty and I'm aware of that and I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Anyways I appreciate that you addressed it this time and didn't simply pretend the question wasn't asked and delete the evidence.
(12-16-2021, 06:30 PM)motoarch Wrote: I wasn't trying to get your back up.  Okay maybe a little.  I knew the post was a bit antagonistic.  

I also understood why you let him get away with it but always kind of bothered me cause I figured it wont take much to just move his thread with a polite note suggesting his should post in a more appropriate location on the board.

I keep posting about it though because I also felt a bit antagonized as Benglas fan who's posts are deleted whenever I inquire about a non Bengals fan posting.

It's a bit petty and I'm aware of that and I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Anyways I appreciate that you addressed it this time and didn't simply pretend the question wasn't asked and delete the evidence.

I like attempting to explain, because I know things probably look differently on the outside without knowing the thought process behind decisions. Sometimes it helps when people understand where you're coming from. Other times it isn't good enough and people just want to grill ya. LOL

Either way, I'd rather people just know what's going on.
To the OP, I actually defended the team for moving on from Whit.

I stand behind that. In 99% of cases, you'll want to move on from a 35 year old Tackle.

Whit just happened to be a freak of nature. Dude's my age and starting in the NFL.

I can't even play basketball without constant breaks LOL