Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Meyer Contacted by Two NFL Teams (Could One Be Us?)
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30605057/sources-nfl-teams-ask-urban-meyer-interest-return-coaching

So a story broke today that at least two NFL teams have contacted Urban Meyer about returning to coaching and he has not dismissed interviewing at this level.

Now, do I think there's a great chance that we're one of them? No, no I do not. But... I do think there are a LOT of reasons why it would make perfect sense for us to be one of them, and for him to be very receptive to an opening here. I'm just curiours to hear what others here may think.

Here's a few reasons, beyond the fact he's a big name hire, that I think it makes perfect sense for both parties (Bengals and Urban Meyer) to be intrigued by one other another:

---Meyer's name recognition in Ohio would bring a ton of support and sell a ton of tickets. As much as I hate to admit it as a UC fan, there's a ton of Cincinnati Bengals fans who are also Ohio State fans. A ton. I'm not sure any single hire would sell more tickets (Make Mike Brown more money) than Urban Meyer.

---Meyer went to and graduated from UC. A lot of people don't know this. Meyer played for Cincinnati and has a ton of connections here. See next points...

---Meyer's sister works at the UC. She's a Vice Provost, and has worked for the school for almost 30 years. Fwiw, his other sister was Homecoming Queen here. (The whole familly is full of Bearcats)

---Meyer's son plays WR for UC as a walk-on. He just joined the team this season. He was on the UC baseball team prior to switching to football.

---You cannot deny Mike's Brown's connections to, and affinity for Ohio State. Paul Brown obviously coached there and there's definitely a lot of love there. We've had so many Ohio State players it's more than just that they churn out a lot of NFL talent. Ex: I know there was one year where we needed a kicker and both kickers we brought in were both OSU guys.

So it would make complete sense from Mike's side. He loves Ohio State, and Urban Meyer would almost immediately erase any ill-will from the Taylor era. He's a big name hire, that would drive ticket sales.

It also makes complete sense from Meyer's side. If he's willing to take an NFL coaching job then why not here? He's from Ohio, he still lives in Ohio, and he's got DEEP connections to this city. His sister is here, his son is here, and this area is familar to say the least.

Like I said, I don't give this some great odds of happening. I just find it interesting that teams have contacted him and that's he's not necessarily opposed to the idea of making the jump. There are so many reasons why it would make sense for the Browns/Blackburns to reach out and for him to listen.
Reply/Quote
doubtful
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Oh yea, forgot another very important thing...

Urban Meyer has at least a 3 year relationship with Joe Burrow. Probably more like 4+ if you count recruiting.

Burrow wasn't a big-time recruit and OSU can get pretty much anyone they want. But they offered Joe, who was a 3 star recruit coming out of small program in HS. On the flip side, Joe had other offers, yet he chose to go play for Urban Meyer, where he'd be buried on the depth chart.

So there's some history and familiarity there. As I understand, there was no bad blood when Joe transfered out. I think an injury took Joe out of QB race, and Haskins took over from there and never looked back.

Just some more food thought....
Reply/Quote
Lions and Jaguars. End of story.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2924248-nfl-rumors-urban-meyer-could-receive-serious-consideration-from-lions-jags
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 01:24 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Lions and Jaguars. End of story.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2924248-nfl-rumors-urban-meyer-could-receive-serious-consideration-from-lions-jags

And you know Gase is out in NY. And we’ll stand pat with the worst coach in the league. FML

Reply/Quote

It says "by at least 2 teams".  That seems to indicate that there could be more.

Like I said, I don't think it's likely we'd hire him.  But there's so many reasons why it makes perfect sense for us to be interested.
Reply/Quote
Isn’t there an Ohio state qb projected to go round 1? Maybe round 2? Well that’s where Urban Meyer is going
Reply/Quote
I just hope it’s anyone but ZT next year. ANYONE.
Reply/Quote

Agree.  I doubt he's coming to the league, and I don't especially love his offensive concept in the AFC North.  Recipe for failure, IMO.  

If he comes to the NFL, it will be the draw of getting to coach Lawrence, or work with his buddy Spielman in Detroit.  I can't see the Detroit thing happening, either.  Imagine an OSU coach failing at the helm of a Michigan football team.  They'd put his head on a stick outside of Ford Field.
Reply/Quote
Well, there's no way in hell that Haskins in back in DC next year. So perhaps Urban will go to the team that gives Haskins another chance. After all, Urban thinks Haskins is a better QB than Burrow.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He is a great coach but why would you hire someone that is going to quit in a couple of years.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 01:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30605057/sources-nfl-teams-ask-urban-meyer-interest-return-coaching

So a story broke today that at least two NFL teams have contacted Urban Meyer about returning to coaching and he has not dismissed interviewing at this level.

Now, do I think there's a great chance that we're one of them?  No, no I do not.  But... I do think there are a LOT of reasons why it would make perfect sense for us to be one of them, and for him to be very receptive to an opening here.  I'm just curiours to hear what others here may think.

Here's a few reasons, beyond the fact he's a big name hire, that I think it makes perfect sense for both parties (Bengals and Urban Meyer) to be intrigued by one other another:

---Meyer's name recognition in Ohio would bring a ton of support and sell a ton of tickets.  As much as I hate to admit it as a UC fan, there's a ton of Cincinnati Bengals fans who are also Ohio State fans.  A ton.  I'm not sure any single hire would sell more tickets (Make Mike Brown more money) than Urban Meyer.

---Meyer went to and graduated from UC.  A lot of people don't know this.  Meyer played for Cincinnati and has a ton of connections here.  See next points...

---Meyer's sister works at the UC.  She's a Vice Provost, and has worked for the school for almost 30 years.  Fwiw, his other sister was Homecoming Queen here.  (The whole familly is full of Bearcats)

---Meyer's son plays WR for UC as a walk-on.  He just joined the team this season.  He was on the UC baseball team prior to switching to football.

---You cannot deny Mike's Brown's connections to, and affinity for Ohio State.  Paul Brown obviously coached there and there's definitely a lot of love there.  We've had so many Ohio State players it's more than just that they churn out a lot of NFL talent.  Ex: I know there was one year where we needed a kicker and both kickers we brought in were both OSU guys.

So it would make complete sense from Mike's side.  He loves Ohio State, and Urban Meyer would almost immediately erase any ill-will from the Taylor era.  He's a big name hire, that would drive ticket sales.

It also makes complete sense from Meyer's side.  If he's willing to take an NFL coaching job then why not here?  He's from Ohio, he still lives in Ohio, and he's got DEEP connections to this city.  His sister is here, his son is here, and this area is familar to say the least.

Like I said, I don't give this some great odds of happening.  I just find it interesting that teams have contacted him and that's he's not necessarily opposed to the idea of making the jump.  There are so many reasons why it would make sense for the Browns/Blackburns to reach out and for him to listen.

It is intriguing, but one of the secret's to Ohio State's success is the depth of quality coaches.  Would he be able to make a great staff?  I find that to be a very critical success factor.  
Reply/Quote
Hire Meyer so that he can bench Burrow in favor of literal nobodies? He's not an NFL coach. He's a mickey mouse college guy. All of this "connections to Ohio" business isn't how world class organizations operate. They tend to comb the earth and hire talent where they can find it - they don't just hire Billy down the road because he's a local yokel. 
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 02:18 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Hire Meyer so that he can bench Burrow in favor of literal nobodies? He's not an NFL coach. He's a mickey mouse college guy. All of this "connections to Ohio" business isn't how world class organizations operate. They tend to comb the earth and hire talent where they can find it - they don't just hire Billy down the road because he's a local yokel. 

I agree, but look at who we're talking about here.

This family has a history that's not only built on neoptism, but hiring/signing people who have local connections.  I'm not calling for this to happen, I'm just speculating on it's possibility.
Reply/Quote
Would not surprise me if urban coached at either UC or the Bengals in the next couple of seasons.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The Bengals wouldn't reach out while they have a HC that they plan on keeping.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Urban is healthy enough for the stress that a head coaching position brings. I would love to have him here as our GM, but we know that Mike & Co. aren't hiring a GM.
Reply/Quote
Was thinking what coordinator job Meyer could do here because Zac isn't going anywhere especially now that he's on this fat winning streak.
Reply/Quote
Urban is an interesting story. I feel like he can't stay away from the game, even though he's tried a couple of times. But his health just can't support it. And I think he gets worn down as a result and his full heart just isn't in it. If he goes NFL, I can't see it being more than 2-3 years before he needs another break. Wouldn't be shocked to find out he'd at least chatted with the Bengals. Given the Brown family history of loving local and supporting OSU it wouldn't surprise me at all. But I would be very surprised to see that hire.
Reply/Quote

LOL...I can't see Meyer going to Michigan.  Hilarious
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote