Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Meyer on Elite Talent
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001113584/article/meyer-haskins-needs-great-players-elite-culture

Found an article interview with Urban Meyer on how it takes elite teammates and culture to make an elite QB to play up to their pedigree. It’s basically an article of Meyer defending Haskins saying it’s not his fault that the Redskins are bad and they need to surround him with elite talent for him to be elite...

Meyer says the same of Burrow and the Bengals in the last paragraph.

It’s interesting to me because on one hand you believe elite qbs can change an organizations culture ... on the other hand, are certain organizations so crippling that elite QBs will never make it? I don’t necessarily buy that.

Anyways, thought I’d share as it relates to the current culture change here.
Reply/Quote
I think elite QBs push their teammates to be better. They insist on people doing their job and even (at times) call particular people out if they do not consistently do so. In other words it's somewhat the other way around (at least on offense). You need a defensive leader too.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2 Don't get me wrong, I am a the OSU guy. UM had to come out and try to justify his decision.
Because Joe Burrow is about to come out and run rings around Haskins... Cool
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The claim that great QBs don't need talent around them is total BS.

I can posts dozens of examples of very good QBs who had down years when they were healthy and the only problem was they lacked talent around them on offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 01:18 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2  Don't get me wrong, I am a the OSU guy. UM had to come out and try to justify his decision.
                  Because Joe Burrow is about to come out and run rings around Haskins... Cool

UM does not have to justify anything.  Burrows play in 2018 showed what kind of player he was when he left OSU.

I am not familiar with the talent on the Redskins offense, but not even Joe Burrow will be successful without talent around him in the NFL.  It is a lot easier to run around and make plays with college boys chasing you instead of NFL players.  Just ask Johnny Manziel.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 08:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It’s interesting to me because on one hand you believe elite qbs can change an organizations culture ... on the other hand, are certain organizations so crippling that elite QBs will never make it? I don’t necessarily buy that.

Having good players around you is important, but having good coaching/scheme I think is even more important.

Drew Brees is a great example. He was with the Chargers for five years before going to the Saints in FA. 
-In his first five years with the Saints, he led the league in passing yards twice, completion % twice, TDs twice, and QB Rating once. (And won a SB)
-In his 5 years with the Chargers he never led the league in anything.

Completion % with the Saints: 68.8
Completion % with the Chargers: 62.2

QB Rating with the Saints: 101.3
QB Rating with the Chargers: 84.9

TD per INT with the Saints: 2.54
TD per INT with the Chargers: 1.51

- - - - - - - - - - -

Primary difference being he went from Marty Schottenheimer to Sean Peyton.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 12:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Having good players around you is important, but having good coaching/scheme I think is even more important.

This.  

I don't know about "more" important, but coaching can make a huge difference.
Reply/Quote
Agree with everything others said in this post. It will be up to Zac and co to get this thing to work. Free agency and draft indicate they might know what they are doing. The 2-14 sloppy look last year indicate they don’t. I’m excited to see how this all goes for Zac and curious to see how long they give him if things sour.
Reply/Quote
Who cares what Urban Meyer thinks?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 12:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Having good players around you is important, but having good coaching/scheme I think is even more important.

Drew Brees is a great example. He was with the Chargers for five years before going to the Saints in FA. 
-In his first five years with the Saints, he led the league in passing yards twice, completion % twice, TDs twice, and QB Rating once. (And won a SB)
-In his 5 years with the Chargers he never led the league in anything.

Completion % with the Saints: 68.8
Completion % with the Chargers: 62.2

QB Rating with the Saints: 101.3
QB Rating with the Chargers: 84.9

TD per INT with the Saints: 2.54
TD per INT with the Chargers: 1.51

- - - - - - - - - - -

Primary difference being he went from Marty Schottenheimer to Sean Peyton.

Great post. Night and day how Brees improved under Peyton. Hopefully Taylor really comes around.

This Offseason and Taylor being young gives me some hope but last season sure wasn't a great indicator. We will see.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 11:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: UM does not have to justify anything.  Burrows play in 2018 showed what kind of player he was when he left OSU.

I am not familiar with the talent on the Redskins offense, but not even Joe Burrow will be successful without talent around him in the NFL.  It is a lot easier to run around and make plays with college boys chasing you instead of NFL players.  Just ask Johnny Manziel.
Why is it that nearly every post or condescending response you make about Joe Burrow has him failing???

Are you really that butt-hurt about Dalton getting cut ??

I can't figure out why anybody would want to debate any type of failure associated with this Bengals season...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 01:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Who cares what Urban Meyer thinks?

Urban knows that if you want to win championships you need players that aren't afraid to bust a cap in someone and assistant coaches ready and willing to choke a *****.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 09:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: Urban knows that if you want to championships you need players that aren't afraid to bust a cap in someone and assistant coaches ready and willing to choke a hitch.

I am no OSU fan and even I respect what this guy has to say....
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 09:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am no OSU fan and even I respect what this guy has to say....

He's a good coach, but a PoS human being.  
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 10:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's a good coach, but a PoS human being.  

Really? Didn't know that. Confused
Reply/Quote
Spoiler alert..Football is a team sport. That's all I got. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I like Bobby Bowden's quote from like 25 years ago during an interview, something like "90% of NCAA teams abide by the rules, the other 10% play for National Championships"
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 08:57 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Why is it that nearly every post or condescending response you make about Joe Burrow has him failing???

Are you really that butt-hurt about Dalton getting cut ??

Why do react to a very reasonable comment with a petsonal attack against me?

I want Burrow to succeed as much as anyone.  I think the Bengals have to get some talent around him to help him win. How you think that has anything to do with Andy Dalton is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 10:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I like Bobby Bowden's quote from like 25 years ago during an interview, something like "90% of NCAA teams abide by the rules, the other 10% play for National Championships"

I would say that's objectively false. There's so many silly rules the NCAA has it's all but impossible to not break them.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 10:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really? Didn't know that. Confused

He's not. Pretty dumb to paint him in a bad light for things that he didn't actually do. He's made a lot of mistakes, but he's also done a lot of good (he's raised millions and millions for cancer research).
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote