Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Meyer on Elite Talent
(05-13-2020, 10:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really? Didn't know that. Confused

At Florida, a man was shot after a night club altercation with Aaron Hernandez and the Pouncey brothers.  He fingered Hernandez as the trigger man in the hospital, then mysteriously changed his story days later and said he couldn't identify the shooter.  This was one of numerous flies buzzing around Urban's program before he retired due to "health reasons.". Then he took the Ohio State job not long after, then retired again when he wound up in hot water.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 01:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Who cares what Urban Meyer thinks?

Thank you.
This whole topic is perfect for the off season.
I think it is obvious that talent is a pre-requisite for great elite QB play.  Same goes for coaching.  The brains on the sideline and front office have to match the elite talent on the field.  In fact without the former there won't be the later.

In 2020 the Bengals are going to experiment with this notion along the Oline.  Can Burrows be great or very good with a mediocre Oline?

I'm going with No.  But what do I know?  
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why do react to a very reasonable comment with a petsonal attack against me?

I want Burrow to succeed as much as anyone.  I think the Bengals have to get some talent around him to help him win. How you think that has anything to do with Andy Dalton is beyond me.
Maybe its because after almost every post I make, I can count on you quoting me with some condescending and/or snarky answer along with some stat from who knows where.

I don't care about your stats. I have my opinion and you're not going to change it.

Reasonable comment? Really? You just compared Joe Burrow to Johnny Manziel FFS...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 12:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: At Florida, a man was shot after a night club altercation with Aaron Hernandez and the Pouncey brothers.  He fingered Hernandez as the trigger man in the hospital, then mysteriously changed his story days later and said he couldn't identify the shooter.  This was one of numerous flies buzzing around Urban's program before he retired due to "health reasons.". Then he took the Ohio State job not long after, then retired again when he wound up in hot water.

Florida was very dirty under Meyer.  Brandon Spikes, Percy Harvin, Hernandez, and many others were trouble in Gainesville. Lots of cracks were showing when he ran away, er, I mean "retired".
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 12:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: At Florida, a man was shot after a night club altercation with Aaron Hernandez and the Pouncey brothers.  He fingered Hernandez as the trigger man in the hospital, then mysteriously changed his story days later and said he couldn't identify the shooter.  This was one of numerous flies buzzing around Urban's program before he retired due to "health reasons.". Then he took the Ohio State job not long after, then retired again when he wound up in hot water.

Wow, knew Hernandez was a POS just didn't know Meyer did this. Shocked 

(05-15-2020, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Florida was very dirty under Meyer.  Brandon Spikes, Percy Harvin, Hernandez, and many others were trouble in Gainesville. Lots of cracks were showing when he ran away, er, I mean "retired".

More wow....
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 11:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: UM does not have to justify anything.  Burrows play in 2018 showed what kind of player he was when he left OSU.

I am not familiar with the talent on the Redskins offense, but not even Joe Burrow will be successful without talent around him in the NFL.  It is a lot easier to run around and make plays with college boys chasing you instead of NFL players.  Just ask Johnny Manziel.

Not true.  That system at LSU in 2018 didn't do anything to show how talented a QB was.

If they would have been running last year's system, than you can make that statement.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 03:42 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not true.  That system at LSU in 2018 didn't do anything to show how talented a QB was.

If they would have been running last year's system, than you can make that statement.

A scheme may limit production, but you can still see skill and talent in any system.

Burrow just did not look that good in 2018.

But I am not going over this again.  Let us just agree that Urban Meyer has one of the best coaching records in college football history, so he does not have to justify his decisions to anyone.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why do react to a very reasonable comment with a petsonal attack against me?

I want Burrow to succeed as much as anyone.  I think the Bengals have to get some talent around him to help him win. How you think that has anything to do with Andy Dalton is beyond me.

The Bengals have plenty of talent around Burrow.  They need a little more talent in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, knew Hernandez was a POS just didn't know Meyer did this. Shocked 

More wow....

Meyer had nothing to do with the crap in Florida. Hernandez and the Pouncey brothers were gang associates. I'm pretty sure Urban didn't strong arm anyone.  Just OSU haters hating.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 09:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Meyer had nothing to do with the crap in Florida. Hernandez and the Pouncey brothers were gang associates. I'm pretty sure Urban didn't strong arm anyone.  Just OSU haters hating.

Thanks Wedge, as you know I am no OSU fan but I just like the truth and trust what you say more than others.

Urban just doesn't seem to be the type to be corrupt IMO.

Guess that is why this news blew my mind so much.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 09:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Meyer had nothing to do with the crap in Florida. Hernandez and the Pouncey brothers were gang associates. I'm pretty sure Urban didn't strong arm anyone.  Just OSU haters hating.

(05-15-2020, 10:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Wedge, as you know I am no OSU fan but I just like the truth and trust what you say more than others.

Urban just doesn't seem to be the type to be corrupt IMO.

Guess that is why this news blew my mind so much.

Meyer most certainly did have something to do with it.  Hernandez was consuled by one of the University of Florida's lawyers during the two day investigation.  Plus, Hernandez was only a 17 year old recruit at the time.  Meyer actively tried to keep him out of trouble and then decided that a 17 year old that hangs out in night clubs, gets in fights, and shoots people is the type of kid he should give a scholarship to.

Whether you're a fan of OSU or not, it's simply naive to believe that some real garbage human beings haven't rolled through that program, just as they've rolled through every other program.  The more successful the program, the more crap gets swept under the rug.

Most college HC's that have long term success have a "good guy" public persona, but it's an act.  They have immense political power.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 11:23 PM)Whatever Wrote: Meyer most certainly did have something to do with it.  Hernandez was consuled by one of the University of Florida's lawyers during the two day investigation.  

I am not going to say Meyer knew if hernandez shot anyone, but the program was out of control while he was down there.  There were dozens of player arrests, players got in fights with an assistant coach and the the strength coach.  Players got in fights with each other in the locker room.  Players missed games with "mystery" injuries that former players now say were maditory suspensions for failed drug tests.  

A lot of Gator fans blamed the loss in the '09 SEC Championship games on lack of disciplin when a star defensive player (some knucklehead DE) missed the game due to a DUI arrest.

Meyer knew he had a bunch of thugs and he did what he could to protect them.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 10:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not going to say Meyer knew if hernandez shot anyone, but the program was out of control while he was down there.  There were dozens of player arrests, players got in fights with an assistant coach and the the strength coach.  Players got in fights with each other in the locker room.  Players missed games with "mystery" injuries that former players now say were maditory suspensions for failed drug tests.  

A lot of Gator fans blamed the loss in the '09 SEC Championship games on lack of disciplin when a star defensive player (some knucklehead DE) missed the game due to a DUI arrest.

Meyer knew he had a bunch of thugs and he did what he could to protect them.

That sounds like Ohio State before and after Urban Meyer too. There have been assaults, armed robberies, sexual assaults, fights among teammates... It goes on and on. Maybe football players at big time programs are dickheads.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah, let's not forget about Meyer denying he knew about assistant coach Zach Smith's domestic violence against his wife, and his attempt to cover it up by deleting text messages from his phone that showed he was well aware of it. Meyer is a huge scumbag.
Reply/Quote
Since he's gone, maybe we should lock up the woman that gave birth to Aaron Hernandez.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 09:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Meyer had nothing to do with the crap in Florida.

Um, what?

It was his program.  He recruited those kids. He allowed those kids to stay in the program.  The culture created at that program is a direct reflection of the person who was in charge running of it. What the hell do you mean he had nothing to do with it?

---Aaron Hernandez, shortly after arriving at UF went to a bar to drink. At the age of 17.  Not a huge deal, right?  Then he refused to pay for his drinks.  Then when confronted by the manager he punched the guy in the head and ruptured the man's ear drum.  It was recommened to be a felony charge, but was later "settled" out of court.

---Hernandez was later investigated for being in involved in an assault that put two men in the hospital, with one being beaten and another being shot in the back.  Despite this, no discussion took place between Meyer and Hernandez, and Meyer described it as being "a minor situation".

---Hernandez failed at least 3 different drug tests at UF.

---Percy Harvin and Brandon Spikes failed multiple drug tests.

---The Pouncy brothers were also investigated for a shooting

---It came out years later, from interviews from former players and staff, that Meyer and UF would skirt the system hide positive drug tests and simply list the players as injured for games.  All the while practicing 1st team all week, then being put in walking boots for cupcake games to avoid suspensions and missed practice time.

---Percy Harvin attacked a coach, and not only wasn't dismissed, he never missed a single game.  No discipline whatsoever.

---30 players were arrested at UF in just 6 years.

The list goes on and on, and continues until his O$U days.  Go ahead and read some of the emails that came out recently.  Even if you want to brush the whole Zach Smith domestic situation off as bs, there's so much more than.  There's so much there that paints him as such a cunning and manipulative coach, who is nothing like the person who tries to portray himself as publically.

And that's really my biggest gripe.  I'm not so naive to think this is unique to Urban Meyer.  That only he allows some of the above to skate by.  Sure, it happens.  But he's got the gall to act like he's all about God, and this and that.

He claimed to have routinely hosted bible studies for Hernandez and other players.  Give me a freaking break.  You mean to tell me, after this kid, goes out and drinks at 17, refuses to pay his bill, ruptures a man's eardrum, assaults a man and is witness to a shooting, fails multiple drug tests, that the two of you are going to sit down weekly and study the bible?  You know all these things happened, he know you know all these things happened, then you'll both sit there and say "let's turn to The Book of Matthew:3:24.  GTFOH!

The man is an absolute fraud of a person.  He ran a dirty program and then faked a health scare to get out of the mess created.  He then started a bunch of more shady shit at his next school.  Then when another scandal started brewing there he ran from there.

Urban Meyer is a FRAUD.  A phony.  A big fat phony.  And to sat he had nothing to do with what was going on at UF is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. 
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 10:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of Gator fans blamed the loss in the '09 SEC Championship games on lack of disciplin when a star defensive player (some knucklehead DE) missed the game due to a DUI arrest.
Carlos Dunlap?
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 10:28 AM)jason Wrote: That sounds like Ohio State before and after Urban Meyer too. There have been assaults, armed robberies, sexual assaults, fights among teammates... It goes on and on. Maybe football players at big time programs are dickheads.

I’m sure there’s exceptions, but plenty of the big time programs (Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, etc) seem time run pretty tight ships, no?

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 12:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Carlos Dunlap?

Yep.

One of the reasons he dropped to the 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
Meyer isn't wrong that QBs need elite talent around them to reach there ultimate success. Good thing we have that in Cincy.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote