Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Meyer to retire Jan 2nd; Day replaces him.
Link

I sorta expected this. You can tell he was not in the best of conditions on the sideline, and the way Urban is he does everything 110% so not being able to do that probably made his decision easier.

I am a bit perplexed at them giving Day the job tho. Wish they would of did an exhaustive search to hopefully clear out some of the positional coaches like Bill Davis or Greg Schiano.

Thanks for the memories and 7-0 vs TTUN!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I did to, wish Meyer all the best.

You could tell after he came back something wasn't quite right with the Buckeyes, exactly what ?? They rallied at the end but something was amiss thru the middle.
Reply/Quote
That sucks. Wonder if OSU will remain a northern SEC team or go back to Big 10 mode.

I hope this guy can recruit. You have OSU on your shirt, but you don't have 3 national titles to his name.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 11:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That sucks.  Wonder if OSU will remain a northern SEC team or go back to Big 10 mode.

I hope this guy can recruit.  You have OSU on your shirt, but you don't have 3 national titles to his name.

Day is a Chip Kelly disciple, so speed is certainly what he looks for. Unlike hairball. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 10:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I did to, wish Meyer all the best.

You could tell after he came back something wasn't quite right with the Buckeyes, exactly what ?? They rallied at the end but something was amiss thru the middle.

Yea, you can tell it's taken a toll on him. Seeing Shelly crying after the meatchicken game made me believe even more he was gone after next year...but turned out it was this year
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 11:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That sucks.  Wonder if OSU will remain a northern SEC team or go back to Big 10 mode.

I hope this guy can recruit.  You have OSU on your shirt, but you don't have 3 national titles to his name.

Me to ! recruiting is a giant part of a college coaches job. They may be able to coach their ass off but if the can't get them to sign it matters not. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 12:07 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yea, you can tell it's taken a toll on him. Seeing Shelly crying after the meatchicken game made me believe even more he was gone after next year...but turned out it was this year

There was an interview back after the Maryland game I believe ? Meyer was asked whether he was going to continue coaching ? He closed his eyes put his chin down to his chest and eeked out a soft yes. It was very telling, to me.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 12:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me to ! recruiting is a giant part of a college coaches job. They may be able to coach their ass off but if the can't get them to sign it matters not. 

There's no way Urbz gave him his seal of approval if he couldn't. That's his number 1 criteria for hiring coaches
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 12:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There was an interview back after the Maryland game I believe ? Meyer was asked whether he was going to continue coaching ? He closed his eyes put his chin down to his chest and eeked out a soft yes. It was very telling, to me.

Yep, and after the NW game, a reporter asked if he was done after this and he said no comment. That was probably most telling since he usually says " I PLAN on coaching next year"
Reply/Quote
I like the Day pick for HC. Which basically keeps the offensive scheme in place. I think we will do fine recruiting.
Reply/Quote
Day seems to have good discipline. I hope he is a good salesman and gets those 4-5 star athletes. Remember, OSU has to compete against Notre Dame, Penn State, Both schools up north and even UC for recruits not counting the SEC schools.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 06:42 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Day seems to have good discipline. I hope he is a good salesman and gets those 4-5 star athletes. Remember, OSU has to compete against Notre Dame, Penn State, Both schools up north and even UC for recruits not counting the SEC schools.

That’s the number one quality he has to have. I don’t have many worries about that. Haskins said during his recruitment that Day really resonated with him with his cool, calm demeanor
Reply/Quote
I worry more about the motivation, leadership and relentless effort to beating ttun
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 12:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me to ! recruiting is a giant part of a college coaches job. They may be able to coach their ass off but if the can't get them to sign it matters not. 

I did some further reading on the Urban Meyer retirement today.  It seems that he very well might continue to work in some capacity for the OSU athletic department.  The article said something about language in his latest contract extension for that provision.  The story went on to suggest the possibility of mentoring coaches and leaders.

Something tells me that Urban is still going to be in the backdrop of the OSU program, for quite some time.  Just not in the capacity of Head Coach.  I have every confidence in Ryan Day doing a fine job in the position.  As for the recruiting, that is where Urban and his influence comes into play.  The University already has an established Nationwide network, of people working both officially and unofficially on behalf of finding and "warming up" talent to the idea of committing to Ohio State.  Behind the scenes, a man as influential as Urban Meyer can not only mentor coaches on how to recruit, but also put them in contact with (wink, wink) established OSU scouts throughout the Country.

No, I'm not worried about Day being able to bring in talent, the program will ensure that all recruiting resources remain in tact.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 08:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I did some further reading on the Urban Meyer retirement today.  It seems that he very well might continue to work in some capacity for the OSU athletic department.  The article said something about language in his latest contract extension for that provision.  The story went on to suggest the possibility of mentoring coaches and leaders.

Something tells me that Urban is still going to be in the backdrop of the OSU program, for quite some time.  Just not in the capacity of Head Coach.  I have every confidence in Ryan Day doing a fine job in the position.  As for the recruiting, that is where Urban and his influence comes into play.  The University already has an established Nationwide network, of people working both officially and unofficially on behalf of finding and "warming up" talent to the idea of committing to Ohio State.  Behind the scenes, a man as influential as Urban Meyer can not only mentor coaches on how to recruit, but also put them in contact with (wink, wink) established OSU scouts throughout the Country.

No, I'm not worried about Day being able to bring in talent, the program will ensure that all recruiting resources remain in tact.  

That was my take from the press conference today as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 08:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I did some further reading on the Urban Meyer retirement today.  It seems that he very well might continue to work in some capacity for the OSU athletic department.  The article said something about language in his latest contract extension for that provision.  The story went on to suggest the possibility of mentoring coaches and leaders.

And let’s be honest, his track record is pretty good. Biggest challenge for him will to keep this current class in tact. 100% on a plane today or tomorrow morning to a few different states
Reply/Quote
My take is I think the media (he realizes he can’t be honest anymore and that’s Urban) and his health were biggest factor. Second was on his terms. Third this is how Urbz roles. I mean this in a good way. But he’s a 110% guy every second of every day. You don’t become a man like him otherwise. He can only go for so long before he starts getting sloppy.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 08:59 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: And let’s be honest, his track record is pretty good. Biggest challenge for him will to keep this current class in tact. 100% on a plane today or tomorrow morning to a few different states

According to my Dad, they already lost one recruit with the retirement news. Now, I'll have to check this out, to see what he was talking about. Unlike my Dad, I still work every day..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 09:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to my Dad, they already lost one recruit with the retirement news.  Now, I'll have to check this out, to see what he was talking about.  Unlike my Dad, I still work every day..

IIRC Urban touched on losing a recruit in the presser but quickly changed gears. Forget just how he put it ? But you got the impression they lost one.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 09:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to my Dad, they already lost one recruit with the retirement news.  Now, I'll have to check this out, to see what he was talking about.  Unlike my Dad, I still work every day..

(12-04-2018, 11:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: IIRC Urban touched on losing a recruit in the presser but quickly changed gears. Forget just how he put it ? But you got the impression they lost one.

Naturally going to lose one or more. Hopefully none of the bigger named guys, but this happens. Just hope it isn't a landslide with all the good ones leaving.
Reply/Quote