Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Outfitters parent company asks employees to work for free
(10-08-2015, 11:46 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: So you basically just took a giant dump all over the OP's agenda in this thread.

It wouldn't be the first time.  
(10-08-2015, 11:46 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: So you basically just took a giant dump all over the OP's agenda in this thread.

Haha yes he did
(10-08-2015, 11:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My sister works for urban and when you volunteer for this you don't get paid more but you get the time off further down the line.  They do this all the time if they have a prototype or a store opening.  In essence you work longer hours for one week and then the same amount less another.

Well that's good to know at least.

*If* its as you say and its salaried, and not required then its not as bad as it seemed at first.

Also as long as they let you TAKE the time off somewhere down the line.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-09-2015, 07:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well that's good to know at least.

*If* its as you say and its salaried, and not required then its not as bad as it seemed at first.

Also as long as they let you TAKE the time off somewhere down the line.

Well, considering all the lies I've been caught telling here and the old board I can understand your skepticism.
(10-09-2015, 10:40 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well, considering all the lies I've been caught telling here and the old board I can understand your skepticism.

After I hit send I was afraid you would take that personally and almost edited it.

Smirk

I can not prove or disprove anything anyone claims to have personal experience with.  So I applied a *bit* of a caveat to my response.

I also have *some* personal experience with being salaried and asked to go "above and beyond" with a promise of some benefit later that was not followed through on.  

So I accept your response but its the only place I have seen that mentioned so far.  Thanks!
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/251538

So after SSF's post and a little more searching I found the above article which basically says they do this all the time, employees do not complain and all is good.

But it also says:

Quote:Indeed, URBN told Gawker that the request for volunteers was well-received by employees. “Unsurprisingly, we received a tremendous response, including many of our senior management. Many hourly employees also offered to pitch in – an offer which we appreciated, but declined in order to ensure full compliance with all applicable labor laws and regulations.”

Would be "nice" if they had people who would actually make a few buck do the job too. But there's less profit in that so they turned it down.

Good for the employees for "stepping up" but still crappy that they want "free work" (which it is from the salaried employees...whether that is "expected" or not) rather than to pay OT to the hourly ones.
(10-09-2015, 11:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/251538

So after SSF's post and a little more searching I found the above article which basically says they do this all the time, employees do not complain and all is good.

But it also says:

Would be "nice" if they had people who would actually make a few buck do the job too.  But there's less profit in that so they turned it down.

Good for the employees for "stepping up" but still crappy that they want "free work" (which it is from the salaried employees...whether that is "expected" or not) rather than to pay OT to the hourly ones.
I think part of this is so that salaried people can understand what the hourly people have to go through,  every day.
I think they turn away the hourly volunteers, as they would work circles around the salaried and embarrass them.