Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use Gio like the Pats use Dion Lewis
First, let me say I'm a big fan of stealing what the Pats do.  In a copycat league, why not copy the best?

Think it was the Miami game, was very impressed with the different ways the Pats had to get Lewis the ball in space.  I'd like to see Gio used in the same ways.  He possesses the same skills as Lewis, who the Pats have turned into a big time weapon with schemes.  

Thoughts?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
We've seen a bit of that, and hopefully Hue has a lot more schemes to reveal over the last half of the season. There is something to be said for holding out a few surprises when we need them the most. Like the playoffs. There isn't an opponent out there that won't be pouring over every play we've had this year to date.

You're on to something good here, though I wouldn't limit it to just Gio. I realize it's redundant to say so, but we have enough competent weapons to drive any defense crazy. But as evidenced in the Steeler game, we're not 'there' yet. Good enough to win, yeah. Now let's turn it up a notch.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
We are a different offense than the Pats. We don't need to use Gio as much as a receiver because we have a much better WR corps than the Pats.

I don't have a problem with getting the ball in Gio's hands a few more times a game, but our offense will not be designed around nothing but short dumpoffs when we have such good WRs.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We are a different offense than the Pats.  We don't need to use Gio as much as a receiver because we have a much better WR corps than the Pats.

I don't have a problem with getting the ball in Gio's hands a few more times a game, but our offense will not be designed around nothing but short dumpoffs when we have such good WRs.

Not talking about designing the offense around it.  But he was catching three yard passes and picking up ten, twelve yards a pop.  For us, it would be just another tool in the belt and one more thing for defenses to have to deal with, especially if defenses are coming hard at the QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
BTW this is one time that I miss the old boards.  I have been a big Dion Lewis fan ever since he came out of college.  I was always saying we should sign him as he was bouncing around the league.

I am sure most UC Bearcat fans remember him.  These numbers do not seem real for just TWO games against the Bearcats.  .  .  .  96 touches (rushing plus receiving) for 603 yards from scrimmage and 7 tds.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:12 AM)McC Wrote: First, let me say I'm a big fan of stealing what the Pats do.  In a copycat league, why not copy the best?

Think it was the Miami game, was very impressed with the different ways the Pats had to get Lewis the ball in space.  I'd like to see Gio used in the same ways.  He possesses the same skills as Lewis, who the Pats have turned into a big time weapon with schemes.  

Thoughts?
I've always wondered why Gio isn't catching 6 balls a game. If the Pats had Gio, OhMyGod, he'd be special. Gio is better than Lewis, but, we'll never know.
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW this is one time that I miss the old boards.  I have been a big Dion Lewis fan ever since he came out of college.  I was always saying we should sign him as he was bouncing around the league.

I am sure most UC Bearcat fans remember him.  These numbers do not seem real for just TWO games against the Bearcats.  .  .  .  96 touches (rushing plus receiving) for 603 yards from scrimmage and 7 tds.

He was wicked in college.  Leave it to the Pats to be the ones to figure out how to use him.  Wasn't he with the Browns at some point?

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:23 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: I've always wondered why Gio isn't catching 6 balls a game. If the Pats had Gio, OhMyGod, he'd be special. Gio is better than Lewis, but, we'll never know.

Green
Jones
Sanu
Eifert
Hill

Not always that many passes to go around. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We are a different offense than the Pats.  We don't need to use Gio as much as a receiver because we have a much better WR corps than the Pats.

you dont say?
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:24 PM)McC Wrote: He was wicked in college.  Leave it to the Pats to be the ones to figure out how to use him.  Wasn't he with the Browns at some point?

Lewis was such a strange case. He was the talk of the country back in 09. He had a good, but rocky, season in 2010. Goes into the draft to the Eagles in the middle rounds, winds up in Cleveland and gets injured immediately, goes to Indy for around a week and then goes out of football for a few months. New England swipes him up at the end of last season and now look at what he's doing.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:12 AM)McC Wrote: First, let me say I'm a big fan of stealing what the Pats do.  In a copycat league, why not copy the best?

Thoughts?

I agree, Gio is the type of player if used right can be the most dangerous player on the field.

That is saying something with all our weapons lol but he is a Sproles in his prime type back that has good hands.

This being said, with all of our weapons i am surprised we have not seen him break a monster play yet.

He should get freed up someday and teams will have to take notice, i also agree with the poster on maybe saving
some of these types of plays for the Playoffs to a point. Except there is no reason to not practice it on teams on the
way there.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see Gio used with a good old fashioned delayed draw every now and again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
GIO IS A BETTER RUNNING BACK THAN HILL! LET HIM RUN THE BALL! I feel like i'm the only one in reality and i'm surrounded by people that are blind. Giovanni Ranks 3rd in the nfl with yards per attempt and Jeremy hill is almost dead last. I don't want to hear about GIO being some option back when he's obviously a better running back than the guy they are feeding reps to.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The thing is, is that every time Gio is in they are expecting us to get it to him out on the edges and the players are always barreling at him by the time he catches the ball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW this is one time that I miss the old boards.  I have been a big Dion Lewis fan ever since he came out of college.  I was always saying we should sign him as he was bouncing around the league.

And whom did they play?
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:09 PM)treee Wrote: The thing is, is that every time Gio is in they are expecting us to get it to him out on the edges and the players are always barreling at him by the time he catches the ball.

That's why the Pats were throwing to Lewis in open areas in the middle of the field.  I hate that floated pass out toward the sideline.  Gotta think it's not one of Gio's favorites either.

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:11 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: And whom did they play?

Dion Lewis played at Pitt. Those were his stats against the Bearcats in 2 games.
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:52 PM)Bengals23 Wrote: Dion Lewis played at Pitt. Those were his stats against the Bearcats in 2 games.

He was like trying to tackle water or the wind.  He wasn't a player, he was an element.

Didn't the Bearcats win both of those games?

Reply/Quote
If we want to use Gio in that manner, then he's gonna be getting balls underneath the coverage. That raises the question then why would we intend on throwing underneath unless absolutely necessary. If we are getting favorable matchups with WR's on deeper routes, then they should get the targets. Why take the 4-5 yard dink and dunk, when we can get chunk yardage with our better WR's. The Pats, have dick at WR aside from Amendola, and im pretty sure hes a concussion away from early retirement. They are forced to use their RB's in that manner, because its Amendola or Gronk. If defenses want to take the safeties out of the box and double our WR's then im sure you'll see some more of Gio catching in space.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:57 PM)McC Wrote: He was like trying to tackle water or the wind.  He wasn't a player, he was an element.

Didn't the Bearcats win both of those games?

No, they split. The one UC won was the thriller at Pitt in the snow, when our boy Armon Binns caught the game winner. One of my fav UC games of all time. Went to the Sugar Bowl that year and yes, Nola was amazing.

Always hated playing against him because he'd shred UC. Always had a great game. Couldn't help but marvel at how good a player he was. Thought he would be awesome from the day he was drafted. Glad hes found some success.
Reply/Quote