Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use shotgun 90% of the time
After watching the game last night, it is clear to me that this offense is most effective running the ball and passing the ball out of shotgun.

This formation can keep the defense off balance because they never know if we are running or passing. Our weakness on offense is the predictability of plays pre-snap. Bringing Chase in the backfield should only be done if we are then going to pass it out wide. Doing this brings all the attention to the backfield and is incredibly predictable when we try to run it with Chase. The heavy formations are predictable runs as well.

Our best runs came out of shotgun and I'd really like someone to back me up on the stats because that was by far our most productive formation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:48 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: After watching the game last night, it is clear to me that this offense is most effective running the ball and passing the ball out of shotgun.

This formation can keep the defense off balance because they never know if we are running or passing. Our weakness on offense is the predictability of plays pre-snap. Bringing Chase in the backfield should only be done if we are then going to pass it out wide. Doing this brings all the attention to the backfield and is incredibly predictable when we try to run it with Chase. The heavy formations are predictable runs as well.

Our best runs came out of shotgun and I'd really like someone to back me up on the stats because that was by far our most productive formation.

We already run 90% of our stuff out of Shotgun... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:48 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: After watching the game last night, it is clear to me that this offense is most effective running the ball and passing the ball out of shotgun.

Most teams go shotgun a majority of plays, but players like Rodgers is effective in both, since he sells play actions pretty good, what is predictable that i see is Burrow play action does little to help the play... he has to improve that part of game to make our run and pass more effective under center.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:51 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We already run 90% of our stuff out of Shotgun... 

Sounds like we need to push it to 95% then. Because we can't seem to run the ball out of any formation other than shotgun.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:55 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Most teams go shotgun a majority of plays, but players like Rodgers is effective in both, since he sells play actions pretty good, what is predictable that i see is Burrow play action does little to help the play... he has to improve that part of game to make our run and pass more effective under center.

I think Burrow had a better play action early in his career. It seems like he has evolved it into a quick fake to avoid getting hit. His play action out of shotgun is more effective once we get the run game going in shotgun.

My point of the thread is we need to stick with what works. Predictable formations don't work. Shotgun keeps the defense guessing.

Not sure if anyone feels the same way but it is beyond obvious based on the results of the last game. Our only effective runs came out of shotgun.
Reply/Quote

Running shotgun based formations is more efficient all around and has been for years now. You asked for the stats, so here they are...

Shotgun runs - 16 attempts, 5.875 yards per carry (94 yards)

Under center runs - Five attempts, 1.4 yards per carry (7 yards)
Reply/Quote
This thread aged well. Good to see the coaching staff saw what I saw.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 01:08 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: This thread aged well. Good to see the coaching staff saw what I saw.

Well, I don't think it works because it's Shotgun. I think it works because it takes away the telegraphing plays from under center.

Under center, they ran...A LOT.

I do want to see how this works against better defenses too. Atlanta was decimated and didn't really go Cover 2 from what I saw.

But, the last 2 games...it worked great!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 09:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, I don't think it works because it's Shotgun. I think it works because it takes away the telegraphing plays from under center.

Under center, they ran...A LOT.

I do want to see how this works against better defenses too. Atlanta was decimated and didn't really go Cover 2 from what I saw.

But, the last 2 games...it worked great!

My original post pointed out how effective we are running it out of shotgun and this is the biggest reason why I pointed out the need to use the formation almost exclusively. Our YPC under shotgun was ridiculous in a losing effort when I pointed this out. The unpredictability of the formation is also a big reason why it works so well.

I'm sorry for gloating a bit. But god is it nice to see this offense running efficiently. 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 09:40 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: My original post pointed out how effective we are running it out of shotgun and this is the biggest reason why I pointed out the need to use the formation almost exclusively. Our YPC under shotgun was ridiculous in a losing effort when I pointed this out. The unpredictability of the formation is also a big reason why it works so well.

I'm sorry for gloating a bit. But god is it nice to see this offense running efficiently. 

No worries. And I agree with all of that. It's ok to gloat a little too.

This team has way too much talent to play how they did offensively.

The playbook out of Shotgun and under center looked like they were from 2 different teams.

I think it will be interesting in a few weeks when we play better defenses to see how this plays out. I'd think that at some point, they'll need to run some under center stuff...but wow is the running game bad under center. And they don't like passing from it. So I don't know.
Reply/Quote
Shotgun all day.

I’ll take it, if we’re gonna ball this hard
-Housh
Reply/Quote