Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uzomah, Hopkins, and Hart...Oh My!
(03-11-2019, 05:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You really do not understand the NFL at all.

I'll make a sig bet that out roster this year is different from 2018.

Of course we'll have draft picks...but we needed new starters at RT, G, LB, LB, and TE. It looks like 3 of those guys are back.

They may have Burfict pencilled in at MLB.

What a terrible plan by the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 05:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Once we keep Dennard, we will have kept our roster together from last year. Why break up the 6-10 band?

It's the same roster which started 4-1.  Maybe Zac, Brian, and Lou see some talent which isn't being leveraged correctly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It's the same roster which started 4-1.  Maybe Zac, Brian, and Lou see some talent which isn't being leveraged correctly.

It's also the same roster that finished 2-9.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Of course we'll have draft picks...but we needed new starters at RT, G, LB, LB, and TE. It looks like 3 of those guys are back.

So you taking the sig bet or not?

You say we won't have a single new starter.  I say you are wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's also the same roster that finished 2-9.

No it is not.  Many players were off our roster on IR for the finish of the season.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 05:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Uzomah - $6 mill
Hopkins - $3 mill
Hart - $7 mill
-----------------
$16 mill of cap space already consumed for 2019.

I dont see overpay in Uzomah and Hopkins
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 05:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Uzomah - $6 mill
Hopkins - $3 mill
Hart - $7 mill
-----------------
$16 mill of cap space already consumed for 2019.

It's almost like when we have no "good" players of our own to re-sign, we just throw the money at ANYONE currently on our roster. Or former players like Andre Smith or Michael Johnson. We apparently HATE signing external guys. So much so that we'll overpay our own mediocre players. I find it hard to believe that Taylor was content with the 2018 roster. If so, that's concerning.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I find it hard to believe that Taylor was content with the 2018 roster. If so, that's concerning.

From all the video interviews I've seen with Zac Taylor, he is supportive of retaining the 2018 roster for the most part.  It's not a secret; he's been out there with it.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 08:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: From all the video interviews I've seen with Zac Taylor, he is supportive of retaining the 2018 roster for the most part.  It's not a secret; he's been out there with it.

Then I find that concerning.

1. That same roster lost 3 years in a row.
2. New coaches tend to want to put their own stamp on the roster. Even Marvin did so.
3. If he doesn't want that, I wonder (a) if he has any real direction for this team or (b) if the young coach is being led around by the ear.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 08:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Then I find that concerning.

2. New coaches tend to want to put their own stamp on the roster. Even Marvin did so.
3. If he doesn't want that, I wonder (a) if he has any real direction for this team or (b) if the young coach is being led around by the ear.

My fear is this:  If the Bengals don't make the playoffs in 2019, it all gets blown up in 2020.  Zac Taylor seems to want a year with familiar players which isn't unusual for a young coach.
Reply/Quote

It feels like Tobin is now getting to call the shots. My fear is that Taylor is going to be nothing more than a yes man.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's almost like when we have no "good" players of our own to re-sign, we just throw the money at ANYONE currently on our roster. Or former players like Andre Smith or Michael Johnson. We apparently HATE signing external guys. So much so that we'll overpay our own mediocre players. I find it hard to believe that Taylor was content with the 2018 roster. If so, that's concerning.

I don't have any real issues with Uzomah's deal or Hopkin's tender, but the Hart contract was a huge WTF reaction when I saw it.
Reply/Quote
It's a 'New Dey!"
Reply/Quote
Hopkins isn't overpaid - he could be the starting center next year if they decide to move Price to RG. Or he's the first guy off the bench at $3 mil - not bad. 

Uzomah's contract seems a little rich, but he does have good upside potential. They NEEDED to sign one of him or Kroft - Kroft was paid more despite his injury last year. Retaining him is a good thing. Paying him at a bit of a premium is far better than staring at 3 gaping holes at TE.

Hart's contract...I don't get it. I find it unlikely that there aren't other options out there with more upside potential at $7/year. This one is the headscratcher for me.
Reply/Quote
THE PISTONS Wrote:Of course we'll have draft picks...but we needed new starters at RT, G, LB, LB, and TE. It looks like 3 of those guys are back.

Agreed plus if we lose Dennard you can add starting slot corner to the list. We basically need to have an epic draft and draft 3 starters in rounds 1-3. I'm assuming we don't sign any good free agents, which is looking more likely with all the dumb money we wasted on Hart. 
Reply/Quote

Well, just to play D.A. for a moment here, I've said before that pretty much all guys that are good enough to make it to the NFL have the basic talent required to succeed.  For years we were complaining that Marvin and the coaching staff weren't doing enough to develop and use players to the maximum of their abilities.  

Perhaps, just maybe, this is one of those situations where the new HC and his staff have taken a look at the players that we have, and decided that they are fine, and that they can do a better job at getting them to play up to their potential?  While I'll admit that giving Bobby Hart second tier money is a bit of a head scratcher, (actually I'm pissed as hell about it..) but maybe they looked deeper at the film and saw enough good qualities that they believe they can coach him past the penalties and blocking technique issues?  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What was the signing bonus and how much of that contract is guaranteed
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 06:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hart is signed as the RT of the future. That's not a one year flyer contract.

But what if he sucks ass like..pretty much his entire career?
Reply/Quote
This is ugly

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you taking the sig bet or not?

You say we won't have a single new starter.  I say you are wrong.

No I'm not taking your bet. It's a terrible bet and I did not say that. Of course our roster will have some differences from last years.

Our 1st Round pick likely starts. But so does terrible OT Hart.

The team needed drastic changes and went status quo on the oline and at te.
Reply/Quote