Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uzomah says he's 'fully cleared'
(04-14-2021, 06:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that, but how often do you see pass catchers become an upper-tier starter at the age of 28?
Most guys who get there do so by like 25.
You might think of someone like Gary Barnidge, who was 30 when he had a breakout year in CLE in 2015, but he only put up 612 yards and 2 TDs the following year and then never played again.
Jimmy Smith was 27 during his breakout year, but was still in only his 4th season when it happened. Uzomah is entering his 7th season.

He caught 43 balls in 2018 and caught 4 passes a year ago in game 2 before getting hurt so there's natural progression, imo, and a relationship that was developing with Burrow as a 1st year QB. You don't need to be rated a top tier TE to be a very good TE. Outside of 1-2 TE's it seems the past decade plus the Bengals just don't feature TE's in the passing game as much. Playing in the AFC North you better have TE's that can block well.

I could see 40-45 catches this year if he's healthy and can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 06:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that, but how often do you see pass catchers become an upper-tier starter at the age of 28?
Most guys who get there do so by like 25.
You might think of someone like Gary Barnidge, who was 30 when he had a breakout year in CLE in 2015, but he only put up 612 yards and 2 TDs the following year and then never played again.
Jimmy Smith was 27 during his breakout year, but was still in only his 4th season when it happened. Uzomah is entering his 7th season.

As long as hes healthy and productive he doesnt have to be a superstar unless you dont think burrow cant win games unless surrounded by superstars?

just so you know most teams dont have an upper teir starter at every position
Reply/Quote
I'm not joining the debate either way, but 17th and 20th aren't necessarily bottom half of the league seeing as many teams employ two tight ends with some regularity. Uzomah has physical talent with good speed and great size for a TE (6-6 and roughly 265 lbs). Hopefully the injuries haven't taken too much of a toll on his speed.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 12:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: As long as hes healthy and productive he doesnt have to be a superstar unless you dont think burrow cant win games unless surrounded by superstars?

just so you know most teams dont have an upper teir starter at every position

I think every QB needs at least 2 good weapons in the passing game.
Right now I think they have exactly two: Higgins and Boyd.
Adding someone like Chase or Pitts would be a big help.
Uzomah is solid and I prefer him over Sample, but I worry this offense really declines if they don't take a pass catcher in Rd 1 or 2 and Higgins and/or Boyd goes down.
If the Bengals get a receiver in Rd 1 or 2, I think they can be fine with a "solid" TE like Uzomah as the 4th option.

With that said, I don't think Burrow has shown enough to make me think he can win games without having some talented pass catchers. He's only played 8 games and only won 2 of them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just the idea of the Achilles going freaks my foot out. Glad he is recovered.
Reply/Quote