Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation ideas
(03-20-2022, 01:19 AM)Stewy Wrote: Savannah is wonderful.  Not a huge amount to do, but it's slow comforting and beautiful.  We spent a night there on our honeymoon and we loved it.  The peach wine was very good.  :)

Boston is one of my favorite cities.  Lots to do before COVID but not sure how much it has opened up.

Utah - some of the most awe inspiring National Parks in the Country if not the world.  SW Utah is dense  with unique and beautiful National Parks  (Canton Lands, Arches, Zion etc.).  Grand Canyon gets all the press, but SW Utah has the density.

Idaho - Ketchum Idaho, Home of Sun Valley in the Sawtooth Mountains.  Fly into Jackson Wyoming, stand in awe of the Teton Mountains, head North to Yellowstone and spend a day or two there, drive West across Idaho and experience the Craters of the Moon National Monument with Ketchum and Sun Valley as your final destination.  The geology is incredible, the scenery beautiful and the air clean as it gets in the continental US.

I want to go to Zion and also the Narrows.

I haven't been to Ketchum, but would love to do what you described.  I've flown into Bozeman, MT and drove to Big Sky. Great drive. In the summer we did fly fishing, hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, and toured Yellowstone.  In the winter we went skiing, dog sledding, and snowmobiling.  I wanted to tour Yellowstone by snowmobile, but my youngest daughter was a year too young to drive her own. I had planned to visit the Tetons in 2020, but Covid.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:19 AM)Stewy Wrote: Utah - some of the most awe inspiring National Parks in the Country if not the world.  SW Utah is dense  with unique and beautiful National Parks  (Canton Lands, Arches, Zion etc.).  Grand Canyon gets all the press, but SW Utah has the density.

This.

Best camping trip I ever took was in the Canyon Lands.

The night sky (before the moon rises) is insane in the desert.  You are not even allowed to have campfires in the Canyonlands.  So you just look at the Milky Way and watch for shooting stars.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 12:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Best camping trip I ever took was in the Canyon Lands.

The night sky (before the moon rises) is insane in the desert.  You are not even allowed to have campfires in the Canyonlands.  So you just look at the Milkey Way and watch for shooting stars.

Canyonlands is perhaps the most underrated of the Utah National Parks.  It's right by crowded Arches where most people flock for photo ops.  But the majority of Canyonlands is wide open desert wilderness, slot canyons and just untouched beauty.  You could (literally) get lost there for days.  

Utah has some really beautiful places, but some definitely get less love and Canyonlands is in that group. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 09:52 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Canyonlands is perhaps the most underrated of the Utah National Parks.  It's right by crowded Arches where most people flock for photo ops.  But the majority of Canyonlands is wide open desert wilderness, slot canyons and just untouched beauty.  You could (literally) get lost there for days.  

Utah has some really beautiful places, but some definitely get less love and Canyonlands is in that group. 

Have you done the Angels Landing hike at Zion?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 10:11 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Have you done the Angels Landing hike at Zion?

I haven't, no.  Zion is beautiful but it's so crowded when I've been and I really don't like it.  My preference at National Parks is getting away from the main attractions and finding the beauty in the rest of the land.  Like the valley in Yosemite, which is a cluster, but then get outside of the valley and it's more open and quiet on the mountain trails.  Or Sequoia, where once you get away from the big trees there are hardly any people on many of the trails, and some amazing Sierra views.  Zion feels super claustrophobic to me with so much concentration of people in that main valley, which is more of a canyon.  I haven't been to Zion in several years but it's not really even on my list to go back to at this point. 

That said, if you've never gone I highly recommend it because it is very beautiful!
Reply/Quote
I'm looking at CME and ski conferences trying to find a cheaper alternative to Park City, Utah and came across this place . . .

https://www.cmhsummer.com/bugaboos/

Looks awesome. Something for me to file away for the future.

Need Truck to chime in on this one.
Reply/Quote
Soon as the war in Ukraine is over you can book post apocalyptic tours of bombed out cities.. It'll make post Chernobyl tours seem really mild.. Hopefully roubels won't be the currency.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2022, 11:51 AM)grampahol Wrote: Soon as the war in Ukraine is over you can book post apocalyptic tours of bombed out cities.. It'll make post Chernobyl tours seem really mild.. Hopefully roubels won't be the currency.

I've done that already. Zero stars. Would not recommend.
Reply/Quote