Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van Noy a target?
I've been all aboard the Schobert hype train this off-season, but I saw an article on Van Noy on nfl.com. He's listed at MLB. He wore the communication head set for New England for the past 3 years. He does it all in terms of dropping in coverage and rushing the passer. He's been well-coached. He's 28 years old, with 7 years of NFL experience.

Is he a legit target? You think he'd want to come here? Would you rather we go after another linebacker?

Can anyone give me a top 5 list of potential FA signings at linebacker?

Right now I'm thinking Schobert and Van Noy are at the top for me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:41 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I've been all aboard the Schobert hype train this off-season, but I saw an article on Van Noy on nfl.com. He's listed at MLB. He wore the communication head set for New England for the past 3 years. He does it all in terms of dropping in coverage and rushing the passer. He's been well-coached. He's 28 years old, with 7 years of NFL experience.

Is he a legit target? You think he'd want to come here? Would you rather we go after another linebacker?

I like Van Noy too, my only question is if he is more of a product of great coaching or not. My top 5 at this moment...

Jamie Collins, Danny Trevathan, Schobert, Van Noy, Littleton.

Followed by Bradham, Kwiatkoski and Ogletree.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 04:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Van Noy too, my only question is if he is more of a product of great coaching or not. My top 5 at this moment...

I'll have to look into Trevathan more; I don't know much about him other than he played for the Bears. The article on NFL.com said they gave Van Noy the communication helmet pretty much right away after coming over from the Lions. We need a leader of the defense like that. And we need a versatile linebacker that can cover and rush. You bring up a good point that he could be a product of coaching; he also doesn't have amazing stats. However, the guy we got from Buffalo led the league in tackles before coming here--and it didn't mean squat. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Schobert still seems like the most realistic option because of familiarity. Van Noy may be a little too high profile for us, and there isn't much in terms of familiarity there. You don't want to fall for the hype on some guys, either. There's a lot of players that left the Pats and didn't do squat. I trust the coaches know based on film and scheme which linebacker will fit us best.

I'm excited to see who we bring in next week.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 05:54 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I'll have to look into Trevathan more; I don't know much about him other than he played for the Bears. The article on NFL.com said they gave Van Noy the communication helmet pretty much right away after coming over from the Lions. We need a leader of the defense like that. And we need a versatile linebacker that can cover and rush. You bring up a good point that he could be a product of coaching; he also doesn't have amazing stats. However, the guy we got from Buffalo led the league in tackles before coming here--and it didn't mean squat. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Schobert still seems like the most realistic option because of familiarity. Van Noy may be a little too high profile for us, and there isn't much in terms of familiarity there. You don't want to fall for the hype on some guys, either. There's a lot of players that left the Pats and didn't do squat. I trust the coaches know based on film and scheme which linebacker will fit us best.

I'm excited to see who we bring in next week.

Trevathan played on the Broncos before he was on the Bears and I have to watch a lot of Bronco games being from where I am at.

Trevathan always stood out with his great tackling, hard hitting, smarts and he can cover and is a leader. In some ways he is my 
favorite LB for us but he is coming off injury and he is older. Much like Bradham who I also would really like for us. I just like Jamie
Collins the best cause he is also a great pass rusher. Schobert hasn't been the best tackler but he does fill the stat sheet.

What I like about Van Noy is he makes plays in the biggest moments.
Reply/Quote
I can’t remember where I saw it. Somebody on here had a break down of free agent success by position and LB was at the bottom I think. I would like to see that again but can’t remember where it was. Made me not want to break the bank on a top end FA LB.

I’m a firm believer we need numbers at LB. so one expensive one won’t fix our problem.

Having said that I like Patrick Onwausor, Jatavis Brown, Ogletree, Schobert, Littleton
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 04:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Van Noy too, my only question is if he is more of a product of great coaching or not. My top 5 at this moment...

No on Collins for me. Loafer, from what I have read in a few article. Doesn't always put much effort into every play.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:41 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I've been all aboard the Schobert hype train this off-season, but I saw an article on Van Noy on nfl.com. He's listed at MLB. He wore the communication head set for New England for the past 3 years. He does it all in terms of dropping in coverage and rushing the passer. He's been well-coached. He's 28 years old, with 7 years of NFL experience.

The Lions didn't know how to use this guy, then of course he goes to NE and does great. I don't like players like this b/c he could get here and do you trust the Bengals to use him correctly for the top $$ he'll command? I guarantee that he'll end up at one of the teams that have coaches from the NE tree anyway.

I am a fan of Littleton but he'll command too much money.
I like Tahir Whitehead who got released by the Raiders making $6 Mill. We could maybe get him cheaper or around the same and he had good stats last year.
I am on the Schobert bandwagon too b/c if Mixon endorses him as a player, that's good enough for me b/c he played against him twice a year and wants him here. Plus, I like taking talent away from our division any day.

After that, I want to see what Kwiatkowski could do out of the Bears Def.

And then Blake Martinez. But, he reminds me a lot of Vigil. They both get a lot of tackles, but it's just too far down the damn field! Lol
Reply/Quote
Van Noy operated as a pass rusher last year and he will get paid like a stand up 3-4 pass rusher that can cover a bit. I don't think we will be putting our free agent money there, but could look for someone similar in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 10:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I can’t remember where I saw it. Somebody on here had a break down of free agent success by position and LB was at the bottom I think. I would like to see that again but can’t remember where it was. Made me not want to break the bank on a top end FA LB.

I’m a firm believer we need numbers at LB. so one expensive one won’t fix our problem.

Having said that I like Patrick Onwausor, Jatavis Brown, Ogletree, Schobert, Littleton

I liked Ogletree in college but once I saw the numbers on him the last few years he is worse than Vigil according to PFF in 
both stopping the run and in coverage and at tackling even. Ogletree would be a good back up I guess.

(03-12-2020, 02:23 AM)sandwedge Wrote: No on Collins for me. Loafer, from what I have read in a few article. Doesn't always put much effort into every play.

He sure makes plays for being a loafer lol
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 02:42 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: The Lions didn't know how to use this guy, then of course he goes to NE and does great. I don't like players like this b/c he could get here and do you trust the Bengals to use him correctly for the top $$ he'll command? I guarantee that he'll end up at one of the teams that have coaches from the NE tree anyway.

I am a fan of Littleton but he'll command too much money.
I like Tahir Whitehead who got released by the Raiders making $6 Mill. We could maybe get him cheaper or around the same and he had good stats last year.
I am on the Schobert bandwagon too b/c if Mixon endorses him as a player, that's good enough for me b/c he played against him twice a year and wants him here. Plus, I like taking talent away from our division any day.

After that, I want to see what Kwiatkowski could do out of the Bears Def.

And then Blake Martinez. But, he reminds me a lot of Vigil. They both get a lot of tackles, but it's just too far down the damn field! Lol

I like Whitehead, cap casualty is the only reason he was cut pretty sure.
Reply/Quote

Easily one of the most overrated players in the game right now.

He played IDENTICALLY in Detroit, production-wise (as he did get less snaps) and nobody said a word about him.

He goes to the Patriots and the Collinsworth busts a load every time he's shown or his name is mentioned.

I wouldn't sign him for anything and he most certainly CANNOT do it all.

Jamie Collins is the FA LB to target from the Patriots; can play any of the three LB positions, can rush, can play coverage, good against the run and has been productive statistically, in every year he's played.

(03-12-2020, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I liked Ogletree in college but once I saw the numbers on him the last few years he is worse than Vigil according to PFF in 
both stopping the run and in coverage and at tackling even. Ogletree would be a good back up I guess.

He sure makes plays for being a loafer lol

Agreed.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 01:35 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Easily one of the most overrated players in the game right now.

He played IDENTICALLY in Detroit, production-wise (as he did get less snaps) and nobody said a word about him.

He goes to the Patriots and the Collinsworth busts a load every time he's shown or his name is mentioned.

I wouldn't sign him for anything and he most certainly CANNOT do it all.

Jamie Collins is the FA LB to target from the Patriots; can play any of the three LB positions, can rush, can play coverage, good against the run and has been productive statistically, in every year he's played.

Agreed.

It's so funny to see everyone's takes on players. Top 101 FAs on NFL.COM says this:

[Image: COL607549.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120]
Jamie Collins
LB
Some mental errors late in Collins' terrific season with the Patriots could scare away teams wondering how he'll perform away from Bill Belichick.

I'll tell you this much, he's better than anyone the Bengals have currently; and, for a reasonable price, I'd take the chance on him. He's a Veteran who's played tons of ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 03:01 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: It's so funny to see everyone's takes on players. Top 101 FAs on NFL.COM says this:

[Image: COL607549.png%3Acover()&w=120&h=120]
Jamie Collins
LB
Some mental errors late in Collins' terrific season with the Patriots could scare away teams wondering how he'll perform away from Bill Belichick.

I'll tell you this much, he's better than anyone the Bengals have currently; and, for a reasonable price, I'd take the chance on him. He's a Veteran who's played tons of ball.

Yes sir. I just hope our new LB coach is up to the task, we haven't had a good LB coach here in awhile.
Reply/Quote
I think Bengals will sign one tier 2 and one tier 3 backer and draft one backer this year. That will give them 4 decent backers including Pratt. Then they will find that UDFA backer like they always do that makes the team.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 04:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Bengals will sign one tier 2 and one tier 3 backer and draft one backer this year.  That will give them 4 decent backers including Pratt.  Then they will find that UDFA backer like they always do that makes the team.

We have actually got some very good UDFA Linebackers before in Burfict and Vinny.

We were just terrible at picking them in the actual Draft under Marv.

The Pratt pick makes me feel better about this new coaching staff's LB evaluation.
Reply/Quote