Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vegas Thinks Our Offense Is Middle Of The Road!
Just more fuel. I expect our Offense to be at least top 5 with the revamped OL and Burrow and everybody stays
somewhat healthy. Mixon could lead the league in rushing yards behind these guys and our top 3 WR's are the
best in the league and Burrow WILL have more time to throw and better pockets to throw out of.

We will average at least 28 points per game this season I bet.
Reply/Quote
Not sure the TE will factor into the offense more this year or not and suspect it will be about the same or less.

In the interview somebody posted a few weeks ago with Chase, Higgins, and Boyd they seemed to have a goal to be the first NFL WR trio to get 1,000 plus yards each.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 06:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure the TE will factor into the offense more this year or not and suspect it will be about the same or less.

In the interview somebody posted a few weeks ago with Chase, Higgins, and Boyd they seemed to have a goal to be the first NFL WR trio to get 1,000 plus yards each.

I think Hayden Hurst will help big time in the Red Zone.

Taylor has already been praising him there, big difference at TE from last year. Much quicker in and out of his breaks than Uzo
and a crisper route runner will help the Offense big time. Scoring TD's is what matters when getting into the RZ and we sucked 
at this last season. Not that it was all Uzo's fault but it wasn't like he was good in the RZ either. 

Blocking is where we might miss Uzo as Hurst isn't as good of a blocker.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 12:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Hayden Hurst will help big time in the Red Zone.

Taylor has already been praising him there, big difference at TE from last year. Much quicker in and out of his breaks than Uzo
and a crisper route runner will help the Offense big time. Scoring TD's is what matters when getting into the RZ and we sucked 
at this last season. Not that it was all Uzo's fault but it wasn't like he was good in the RZ either. 

Agree and have got nothing against Hurst at all and believe he is just what the Bengals needed at the right price. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 12:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Hayden Hurst will help big time in the Red Zone.

It's still my opinion that CJ's biggest mistake was trying to become the leader on a team that is clearly led by Joe Burrow. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 12:13 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I just received an email from Draft Sharks and it has Vegas setting our offense at about 16th for average points per game for the season.

It has us at 23.3 points per game, which Buffalo is in the at the top with only 27 ppg, so it's not that big of a jump.

You might need to be a member to view (I tried to copy and paste), but here's the list.

1. Bills
2. Chiefs
3. Bucs (it makes me feel good because that means Brady will have a big year and I drafted him in a fantasy league, which the run on QBs started right after my pick, so there was like 8 QBs taken before I could get Brady).

I'd bet that we finish better than 16th and I think we'll easily be top ten.

We scored 27.1 last season (which was 7th), and we've improved our offensive line, so how are we projected that low?

That is interesting.
The Bengals were 7th in the league in scoring offense, 13th in yards gained last year with a sieve of an OL.
I think it's realistic to expect probably Top 10 in both.

They seem to think the Bengals will have the 3rd biggest drop from 2021 to 2022.
I am assuming it's because of the harder teams the Bengals are expected to play this year compared to last, but the Bengals offense still should be better than last year. The offensive weapons are all basically the same, and the OL has (at least) 2 upgrades...assuming they stay healthy.

They have the terrible 2021 teams with the biggest jumps, which kinda seems like wishful thinking, to me.

We'll have to see how the season actually plays out, but I'd be disappointed if the Bengals ended up middle of the pack for offense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 12:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and have got nothing against Hurst at all and believe he is just what the Bengals needed at the right price. 

Feel the same, think Hurst will resurrect his career here and have a very good year scoring TD's for us.

Something we needed drastically from the TE position especially in the RZ.

(08-24-2022, 12:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: It's still my opinion that CJ's biggest mistake was trying to become the leader on a team that is clearly led by Joe Burrow. 

Eh, we needed a rah rah guy. Burrow isn't that much of a rah rah guy. He is a quiet leader.

Might actually need some player to step up and be this for us this year, I think this might be missed same as Uzo's blocking.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same, think Hurst will resurrect his career here and have a very good year scoring TD's for us.

Something we needed drastically from the TE position especially in the RZ.

Eh, we needed a rah rah guy. Burrow isn't that much of a rah rah guy. He is a quiet leader.

Might actually need some player to step up and be this for us this year, I think this might be missed same as Uzo's blocking.

Disagree with the rah rah guy being missed but his blocking will be missed, yet hopefully covered by a better OL.  

CJ's words sounded hollow to me and Burrow had to correct him at least once and maybe twice. 

Know he did when CJ said the Bengals would be embracing the underdog role and Joe was quick to point out that the Bengals belonged and expected to win and did not think of themselves as underdogs at all. 

Then it went from "why not us" to "it is us". 

Joe is our leader, the fans may need a rah rah guy but the players imo have their leader already in Joe Cool. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 01:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Disagree with the rah rah guy being missed but his blocking will be missed, yet hopefully covered by a better OL.  

CJ's words sounded hollow to me and Burrow had to correct him at least once and maybe twice. 

Know he did when CJ said the Bengals would be embracing the underdog role and Joe was quick to point out that the Bengals belonged and expected to win and did not think of themselves as underdogs at all. 

Then it went from "why not us" to "it is us". 

Joe is our leader, the fans may need a rah rah guy but the players imo have their leader already in Joe Cool. 

Could be right Go Cards. Kind of leaning that you are and that is a great thing lol
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 01:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This makes no sense at all.

We make big upgrades to the O-line and replace Uzo with Hayden Hurst which is a wash. Yet we are projected to drop by 3.8 points per game which is 30th in the league.

Do we play a lot of great defenses this year?

Yes,in my opinion we play some good defenses this year.That second half of the Bengals schedule is brutal.The Offense didn’t actually tear it up in the postseason last year.The defense is clearly what got us to the SB.The Defense held the Rams down to 16 points till late in the game,and set it up for the Offense to cash in,but they came up short.

With that said,I expect the Bengals to be better than sixteenth in the league this year for obvious reasons.Hope they’ll use this as fuel for the fire.With an improved OL Burrow should have time to air it out more,and maybe they’ll back off a little from “OVERUSING “Mixon.
Reply/Quote
Hurst and CJ are close to a wash (assuming both stay healthy as we never know). But if the Bengals are going to improve on offense, it will be the OL improvement over 2021 OL.

I also think 70% completion percent will be hard to match for Joe in 2022, but I think he will throw for a higher yards per completion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
From Paul Dehner of The Athletic:
We are not allowed to report specific personnel packages or schemes from these practices. Video was shut down completely once the two teams started going against each other. There was good reason for that. Both sides opened up the playbook to see how their new wrinkles look in action without fear of putting it out on tape for the entire league to see.

As for what I can say, the Bengals put on display the type of unpredictability expected of their dangerous skill position players. I wrote this year to expect to see more usage of Ja’Marr Chase in the slot and many other spots on the field and let’s just say on every play I was noting where every player was lined up and I had to work to figure out where they were going.

Expect significant unpredictability from the Bengals passing game as it evolves this year, if the joint practices were any indication. Much of that will be built to take advantage of the anticipated shells and soft coverages designed to keep the lid on a team with 12 plays of 50-plus yards last year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 02:05 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: If he’s a wash then why mention it?

And you’re gonna see how much of a “wash” it is when Uzomah puts up <350 yards while Hurst puts up 500+

Yeah, I don't want to crap on CJ, but I think Hurst is going to be a big boost form a purely offensive standpoint. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 11:25 AM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, I don't want to crap on CJ, but I think Hurst is going to be a big boost form a purely offensive standpoint. 

What other standpoint could there be?!

Hilarious

I agree though because, like I've said, he's too athletic for backers to cover and safeties will be too busy trying to double Chase and keep someone back to cover Boyd and Higgins on the other side, all while trying to keep a safety in the box to stop Mixon!

Hurst is also great at finding holes in the zone and up the seam!
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 02:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What other standpoint could there be?!

Hilarious

I agree though because, like I've said, he's too athletic for backers to cover and safeties will be too busy trying to double Chase and keep someone back to cover Boyd and Higgins on the other side, all while trying to keep a safety in the box to stop Mixon!

Hurst is also great at finding holes in the zone and up the seam!

Think he meant from a receiving stand point
Reply/Quote

Scoring TD's is what matters when getting into the RZ and we sucked at this last season. Not that it was all Uzo's fault but it wasn't like he was good in the RZ either. 

Last year CJ's catch percentage in the Red Zone (55.6%) was higher than Higgins (37.5%) and Chase (53.3%) and not far behind Boyd (63.6%).

CJ's catch percentage last season was almost identical to has career number (55.9%).  And his career number is higher than Hurst's (50%).  They both have 9 career TD catches in the red zone. 

Don't know why anyone would claim CJ was not good in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year CJ's catch percentage in the Red Zone (55.6%) was higher than Higgins (37.5%) and Chase (53.3%) and not far behind Boyd (63.6%).

CJ's catch percentage last season was almost identical to has career number (55.9%).  And his career number is higher than Hurst's (50%).  They both have 9 career TD catches in the red zone. 

I am predicting Hurst to have a better season than CJ. But that probably has more to do with I think we will have more plays for him and with the improved oline. 

As for the entire offense I think anytime a player has a really good season the safe bet is for a step back in production. So while it would make sense to wonder if Chase can have as a good a season or better. I think both Boyd and Higgins have room to improve along with more targets for TE and especially targeting RB's a little more. I think we should be top 10 in offense if we stay relatively healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 11:17 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: From Paul Dehner of The Athletic:
We are not allowed to report specific personnel packages or schemes from these practices. Video was shut down completely once the two teams started going against each other. There was good reason for that. Both sides opened up the playbook to see how their new wrinkles look in action without fear of putting it out on tape for the entire league to see.

As for what I can say, the Bengals put on display the type of unpredictability expected of their dangerous skill position players. I wrote this year to expect to see more usage of Ja’Marr Chase in the slot and many other spots on the field and let’s just say on every play I was noting where every player was lined up and I had to work to figure out where they were going.

Expect significant unpredictability from the Bengals passing game as it evolves this year, if the joint practices were any indication. Much of that will be built to take advantage of the anticipated shells and soft coverages designed to keep the lid on a team with 12 plays of 50-plus yards last year.

This is just awesome, thanks for this Soonerpeace. Gets me excited!!! Wink

(08-28-2022, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year CJ's catch percentage in the Red Zone (55.6%) was higher than Higgins (37.5%) and Chase (53.3%) and not far behind Boyd (63.6%).

Like I said, it wasn't Uzo's fault. He was good, I just think Hurst will be better this season for us. Hurst is quicker in and out of his
breaks and will be much harder for Secondary's and especially LB's to defend. We will see, just one of my bold predictions along
with ADG being our breakout Defensive player.
Reply/Quote