Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Venice mayor: anyone who screams Allahu Akbar will be shot
(08-28-2017, 02:19 PM)Benton Wrote: You're the only person — from the article or in this thread — who has mentioned praying.

If you're going to come to conclusions based off of something other than what people say or what is in the article, I think I'll just shake my head and eat a chocolate free brownie. Why a chocolate free brownie? Because a chocolate free brownie makes as much sense as deciding freedom of religion is only about the right to pray.

Don't you mean a blondie? Ninja
(08-28-2017, 01:57 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: To be fair here, the mayor was accused of trying to take away free speech and open worship, however the article does not say that. It seems to me that Vlad is pointing out that what the mayor said is being turned into some anti free speech/anti worship stance, when that's not what the mayor said or was alluding to.

I prefer not to guess what people allude to. It's bad practice. I prefer what they actually say. In this instance, the mayor said he would shoot anyone  saying God is Greatest in Arabic. 

That would fly here in some parts of the country, as in some parts of the world. But what if some LEO or public official in California said he would shoot anyone saying 'praise the Lord' in his presence? Would there be an attempt by some to downplay the significance? Or would you have people speaking out against their First Amendment right infringements? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-28-2017, 02:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Don't you mean a blondie? Ninja

Blondies are an abomination. 
(08-28-2017, 12:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm waiting for the day that the extremist Muslim terrorists wise up and start screaming it in whatever the native language is of where they are, or maybe in Latin or something. Throw everyone off.

Deus Magnus.  That's off the top of my head so...
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-28-2017, 02:28 PM)Benton Wrote: Blondies are an abomination. 

I am anti-chain restaurants in so many ways, but the maple butter blondie from Applebees used to be my jam.
(08-28-2017, 02:26 PM)Benton Wrote: I prefer not to guess what people allude to. It's bad practice. I prefer what they actually say. In this instance, the mayor said he would shoot anyone  saying God is Greatest in Arabic. 

That would fly here in some parts of the country, as in some parts of the world. But what if some LEO or public official in California said he would shoot anyone saying 'praise the Lord' in his presence? Would there be an attempt by some to downplay the significance? Or would you have people speaking out against their First Amendment right infringements? 

There's three requirements you must meet before you're even shot according to what was said by the mayor.

You have to....

1. Be running
2. For some reason be shouting Allah Ackbar as you're running
3. Be at St. Marks Sqaure.

I hardly call that an attack on free speech or worship.
(08-28-2017, 05:16 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: There's three requirements you must meet before you're even shot according to what was said by the mayor.

You have to....

1. Be running

None of those things means you should be shot.

Doing all three at once does not mean you should be shot.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-28-2017, 05:16 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: There's three requirements you must meet before you're even shot according to what was said by the mayor.

You have to....

1. Be running

Free speech and worship means I can run around open public areas yelling about how great my god is and not get shot for doing it. 

Hell, we're allowed to run around public areas yelling that Jews won't replace us while carrying weapons without getting shot. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-28-2017, 02:19 PM)Benton Wrote: You're the only person — from the article or in this thread — who has mentioned praying.

If you're going to come to conclusions based off of something other than what people say or what is in the article, I think I'll just shake my head and eat a chocolate free brownie. Why a chocolate free brownie? Because a chocolate free brownie makes as much sense as deciding freedom of religion is only about the right to pray.

Isn't the term traditionally used in Islamic prayers? 
Rising to a standing/upright position with hands still on the ground while saying Allahu Akbar completes a rak'a (unit of prayer or cycle). So therefore if one was saying it, he wouldn't be running around right?
(08-28-2017, 05:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: None of those things means you should be shot.

That's a different argument.

(08-28-2017, 05:37 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Free speech and worship means I can run around open public areas yelling about how great my god is and not get shot for doing it. 

Hell, we're allowed to run around public areas yelling that Jews won't replace us while carrying weapons without getting shot. 

You said.....

Quote:This, however, is a government official trying to stop their ability to practice free speech and openly worship. 

Under United States law it is a felony to threaten the President, presedential candidates and former presidents. Does this mean we don't have free speech in America?

You're acting as if this one thing this man said is a wide prohibition of free speech and worship when it's not. It is a narrow avenue that not many cross, but crossing it leads to probable punishment. That is not taking away someone's ability to practice free speech and worship.
(08-28-2017, 04:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am anti-chain restaurants in so many ways, but the maple butter blondie from Applebees used to be my jam.

Heretic.

You have to....

1. Be running

Eh, that's exactly an attack on free speech.

Tonight I'm going to
1. Run.
2. Shout praise the lord.
3. Be in public view.

Should I be shot? Would it be a denial of free speech for me to be arrested/shot for running in a public place shouting "praise the lord"?
(08-28-2017, 06:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, that's exactly an attack on free speech.

Tonight I'm going to
1. Run.
3. Be in public view.

Should I be shot? Would it be a denial of free speech for me to be arrested/shot for running in a public place shouting "praise the lord"?

A Christian yelling something Christian in a heavily dominated Christian Country???

Try doing that in a country where Christianity is a major minority.
(08-28-2017, 06:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, that's exactly an attack on free speech.

Tonight I'm going to
1. Run.
3. Be in public view.

I'm not denying it is, rather I'm saying it's barely an attack on free speech and it's definitely not taking away anyone's ability to freely speak.

He's not telling people they can't worship God or even openly talk about God in public, but that's what this is being painted as.
You know a four letter word for "Hello" in Italian?

BANG!
(08-28-2017, 06:43 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Under United States law it is a felony to threaten the President, presedential candidates and former presidents. Does this mean we don't have free speech in America?

You're acting as if this one thing this man said is a wide prohibition of free speech and worship when it's not. It is a narrow avenue that not many cross, but crossing it leads to probable punishment. That is not taking away someone's ability to practice free speech and worship.

No one has the right to threaten violence as at that point your threatening someone's right to life. It doesn't say much for your argument if you're comparing saying "god is great" to threatening someone with harm. 

I'm sorry if you believe I am speaking in hyperbole, but whether or not I am, this is a violation of free speech and free practice of religion. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-28-2017, 09:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Wouldn't work here.  Freedom of speech.  Mellow

You say that like it's a bad thing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(08-28-2017, 11:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They've been free to speak and others have been free to speak out against them.

This, however, is a government official trying to stop their ability to practice free speech and openly worship. 

Then again, the current Republican Party platform is very anti Constitution, so I understand why you guys support this.

Well, then the other 90 something percent of the "Religion of Peace" should do something about their religion's tagline being used as the mantra of terrorism.

(08-28-2017, 05:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: None of those things means you should be shot.

Well, in the US you can't legally be shot for it, but you sure as heck can be prosecuted for inciting a riot.  That is not unlike yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-28-2017, 07:34 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: A Christian yelling something Christian in a heavily dominated Christian Country???

Yeah... but Italy doesn't really compare to countries like that, and hopefully doesn't ever want to.

In general, European police tends to not get shoot to kill orders for people shouting words.
(08-28-2017, 07:34 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: A Christian yelling something Christian in a heavily dominated Christian Country???

How do you know it is Christian? "Allahu Akbar" means "God is the greatest!" or "God is great!" It's an exclamation that could come from many religions. Coptic Christians will tell you that they say the phrase because Arabic is their tongue and those are words they use, so what makes it inherently Muslim? What is someone shouted "Dio è grande!" Would that be suspicious? What about "Dieu est grand!" in Paris? Is it a Muslim speaking in the tongue of the land they are in, or is it a Christian exclamation?