Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venus Williams At Fault In Crash That Killed A Man
Since this thread died I thought maybe an update was due:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2017/07/07/venus-williams-found-not-fault-fatal-crash/460618001/

Quote:Tennis star Venus Williams "lawfully entered the intersection" before last month's fatal traffic collision in Florida, Palm Beach Gardens police said in a statement on Friday. 

Police cited "new evidence" — video surveillance footage — that showed Williams' Toyota Sequoia  had entered the intersection on June 9 legally before the collision. A Hyundai Accent driven by Linda Barson collided with Williams' SUV in an accident that left Linda Barson with multiple injuries and her husband, Jerome Barson, critically injured. 

Jerome Barson died two weeks after the accident. 

Williams was originally determined to be at fault in the accident after an initial investigation. Police said Friday that the investigation was ongoing. 

"Based on the evidence obtained in the ongoing investigation, it has been determined the vehicle driven by Venus Williams lawfully entered the intersection on a circular green traffic signal, and attempted to travel north through the intersection to Ballenisles Drive," the police said in a statement. "As Williams was traveling through the intersection, a Nissan Altima entered the intersection traveling south, and made a left turn in front of Williams' vehicle, causing her to stop advancing through the intersection to avoid a collision.

"The traffic signal then cycled to green, at which time Barson continued westbound and entered the intersection. The front end of Barson's vehicle collided the right front of Williams' vehicle." 

An auto negligence lawsuit filed by the estate of Jerome Barson was filed against Williams last week in Palm Beach County seeks unspecified monetary damages and a jury trial.

“The update from the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department and video released today show that Venus lawfully entered the intersection on a green light and was impeded in her progress through the intersection,” Malcolm Cunningham, Williams' lawyer, said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports. “As the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department points out, once Ms. Williams entered the intersection lawfully, she had the right to proceed through the intersection and other vehicles including those with a red light changing to green, were obligated to yield the right-of-way to Ms. Williams

“Ms. Williams is grateful for the continued diligence and efforts of the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department in its investigation. At the same time, as this process moves forward, she remains deeply saddened by the loss suffered by the Barson family and continues to keep them in her thoughts and prayers.”

According to the lawsuit, Jerome Barson suffered “severed main arteries, massive internal bleeding, a fractured spine and massive internal organ damage.

Linda Barson also required hospitalization after she suffered “a cracked sternum, shattered right arm, broken right wrist, hand and fingers,” according to the lawsuit.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 10:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Since this thread died I thought maybe an update was due:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2017/07/07/venus-williams-found-not-fault-fatal-crash/460618001/

wow, so someone in the opposite direction made a left turn and cut her off, causing her to then stop. When she went to go again, the crossing traffic then got a green light, and the lady who hit her proceeded without allowing her to finishing crossing the intersection. 

So the lady who went, and whose husband died, is at fault. Damn. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 11:23 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: wow, so someone in the opposite direction made a left turn and cut her off, causing her to then stop. When she went to go again, the crossing traffic then got a green light, and the lady who hit her proceeded without allowing her to finishing crossing the intersection. 

So the lady who went, and whose husband died, is at fault. Damn. 

That's the way it looks.

Although a more recent story said the family of the deceased wants Venus to turn over all medications she is on too for the civil suit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4697400/Crash-victim-s-family-demands-Venus-Williams-presciptions.html

Although the police said she didn't test of any alcohol or medications from what I read ealrier.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 11:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's the way it looks.

Although a more recent story said the family of the deceased wants Venus to turn over all medications she is on too for the civil suit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4697400/Crash-victim-s-family-demands-Venus-Williams-presciptions.html

Although the police said she didn't test of any alcohol or medications from what I read ealrier.

It must be hard to lose someone, but they're only going to end up wasting their money in this fight. With the cops now saying she had the right of way, I don't see what case they can make. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 11:36 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It must be hard to lose someone, but they're only going to end up wasting their money in this fight. With the cops now saying she had the right of way, I don't see what case they can make. 

Our insurance rates are sky high because attorneys win these kind of lawsuits. Venus will be paying these people.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 11:36 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It must be hard to lose someone, but they're only going to end up wasting their money in this fight. With the cops now saying she had the right of way, I don't see what case they can make. 

My guess this is a personal injury lawyer who only gets paid if the family gets paid. I assume the lawyer is looking for an out of court settlement hoping Venus' lawyer recommends to her it would be cheaper to pay for the lawsuit to go away than go to trial and rack up additional lawyer fees and court costs.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 11:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's the way it looks.

This is after the new evidence?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 10:33 AM)michaelsean Wrote: This is after the new evidence?  

That story is actually about a week old.  I had saved it to read and forgot about it.

Looks like the police released the video and explained why she was not found at fault.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 12:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Our insurance rates are sky high because attorneys win these kind of lawsuits.   Venus will be paying these people.

Most likely her insurance company will be. Unfortunately for consumers and innocent folks. At the end of the day, insurance companies look at what the minimum cost is going to be, compare it with how much it might cost if they lose, then offer a settlement. Those losses are offset by rate hikes.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 02:35 PM)Benton Wrote: Most likely her insurance company will be. Unfortunately for consumers and innocent folks. At the end of the day, insurance companies look at what the minimum cost is going to be, compare it with how much it might cost if they lose, then offer a settlement. Those losses are offset by rate hikes.

Well if anything it looks like they are at fault.  She should sue them.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote