Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Versatility of Tyler Boyd.
After Boyd threw that TD pass in practice I went back and looked at his college stats.  The guy was incredibly versatile.  I know our coaches loved to use Sanu in a lot of different ways, and it looks like Boyd will be able to do the same.

Last year Boyd was the #2 rusher on the Pitt Panthers.  He gained 349 yards on 40 carries for an 8.7 average.  In Sanu's best season running the ball in college he gained 346 yards but he played one more game than Boyd (13 to 12) and only averaged 5.2 per carry.

Boyd did not throw the ball as much in college as Sanu (8-18, 207 yards), but again he was much more efficient (3-4, 96 yards)

Sanu returned 29 punts for a 4.2 avg.  Boyd returned 27 for an 8.8 avg and one td.

Sanu had 2 kick returns for only 12 yards (6.0 avg).  Boyd returned 46 for 1124 yards (24.4 avg).

But most important Boyd had much better receiving stats (254 catches, 13.2 avg, 21 tds) than Sanu (210 catches, 10.8 avg, 12 td).  

Both played 38 games in college, but Boyd played in a MUCH tougher conference (ACC) than Sanu (Big East).
Reply/Quote
Boyd's versatility also comes in the passing game and where he lines up. Along with his route running.

Spent 318 of his 589 snaps at outside wide receiver, and 223 in the slot.

Had at least one reception on 13 different routes, with no more than 191 of his receiving yards coming on a single route type.

Dropped just 10 of the 182 catchable passes thrown his way between 2014 and 2015.

Honestly, I liked this guy more coming out of college than Sanu or Jones. That's not to say Boyd will automatically be better than either. But A lot of people are sleeping on Boyd because he doesn't have "elite speed". But his route running is amazing.

He ran a 4.58. Dez Bryant ran a 4.52. AJ Green ran a 4.5.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
40 time....the most over rated stat ion football for WR. If a guy can't get off press it doesn't matter how fast he can run in a sprinter stance. The great equalizer is how fast a guy can beat press coverage? If he can beat it quickly then in essence he is faster than the guy with the faster 40.
Reply/Quote
Also the forty time does not measure "top speed".

Two players could run the exact same forty time but one could be pulling away at the end because he has better top end speed. Fans of drag racing know what I am talking about. There are 2 numbers posted for each run. One shows the "elapsed time" (same as the 40 time) and the other shows "trap speed" (how fast the car is going at the end of the run). They really need to do something like that at the combine. If a defender is playing "off coverage" then it does not matter how fast a WR gets off the line. And top speed is much more important for a deep threat.
Reply/Quote