Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veteran Safety being considered
(03-07-2024, 12:19 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Oh man. I'd love Simmons on the Bengals.

And in his entire career, Justin Simmons never had the opportunity to play in a playoff game. Would probably love to play on the Bengals if the money is agreeable. Second-team All Pro four times (last season as well) and two-time Pro Bowl selection. 30 interceptions in his career. And from what I have read, a quality individual with a good attitude -- fits the Bengals culture.
Reply/Quote
I have to imagine the owners all got together and are trying to artificially drive the price for Safety down because this is bizarre

But this is by fault of these safeties for not becoming more versatile

These safeties are gonna have to play deep and box to get paid in today’s NFL. For the most part the corners and from 4 do all the work. Safeties have gotten by by specializing in zone for too long but i saw this shift to man coverage box safeties when we didn’t want Jesse Bates back.

For a safety to get paid in 2024 and beyond he’s gonna have to be able to man cover AND make tackles ala Mike Hilton in the box. And when you look at that most safeties can’t. The few that can are already locked up, besides newly released Justin Simmons.

If we had even one inkling of belief that safety is undervalued and we need a good one he’s the one to get especially seeing as money is now not his primary focus since Denver owes him 14M. We could get him over here on a discount and give him a mission to allow us to use Dax as we please
-Housh
Reply/Quote
The only reason I wouldn't sign Simmons is because the way things are going Bates'll be released tomorrow and I'd rather just wait for him. Wink

No seriously, sign this dude.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:19 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Oh man. I'd love Simmons on the Bengals.

He plays strong safety though which is where Battle is at. IDK what the Bengals plan on doing - roll with Battle? Try and upgrade from Battle? Move Dax somewhere? 

I mean we can speculate about safety all we want, but whats the plan? Battle looked good last year and Dax is a first round pick who doesnt really have a position if you move him... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: And in his entire career, Justin Simmons never had the opportunity to play in a playoff game. Would probably love to play on the Bengals if the money is agreeable. Second-team All Pro four times (last season as well) and two-time Pro Bowl selection. 30 interceptions in his career. And from what I have read, a quality individual with a good attitude -- fits the Bengals culture.

Pervert

Oh yeah, Justin Simmons is the exact type of Safety we should bring in. Dude is extremely savvy, knows how to communicate well, is a ballhawk 
and would really help out Dax and Battle. Never played in a Playoff game either as you say and would love to come here to play on a contender.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 01:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He plays strong safety though which is where Battle is at. IDK what the Bengals plan on doing - roll with Battle? Try and upgrade from Battle? Move Dax somewhere? 

I mean we can speculate about safety all we want, but whats the plan? Battle looked good last year and Dax is a first round pick who doesnt really have a position if you move him... 

Eh, pretty sure Simmons is a Free Safety. You keep Battle where he is at and use Dax as a Slot Corner like most have been saying 
and as a Nickle Safety while preparing for Hilton's departure next year where Dax can move into this position full time.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pervert

Oh yeah, Justin Simmons is the exact type of Safety we should bring in. Dude is extremely savvy, knows how to communicate well, is a ballhawk 
and would really help out Dax and Battle. Never played in a Playoff game either as you say and would love to come here to play on a contender.

If they entertain the idea of bringing in Justin Simmons, you might as well sign him to a 3 year deal and start prepping Dax to take Hilton's spot in '25.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wow man. So many good options. I think we pounce
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, pretty sure Simmons is a Free Safety. You keep Battle where is it at and use Dax as a Slot Corner like most have been saying 
and as a Nickle Safety while preparing for Hilton's departure next year where Dax can move into this position full time.

What a year to be looking for a free agent safety. Lots of options on the market. I’d love Justin Simmons or Poyer. I think they bring what we were missing last year, they both can be relied on to play deep and they both have good play recognition instincts that Dax just hasn’t developed thus far. I’m on board with your plan Nate, even though I honestly expected more out of Dax than just being a slot corner.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they entertain the idea of bringing in Justin Simmons, you might as well sign him to a 3 year deal and start prepping Dax to take Hilton's spot in '25.

I know fans won't like hearing this but when the Bengals sign a post safety like Quandre Diggs this off-season Dax Hill will go back to playing the strong safety like the beginning of last season. He looked good in that role to start the year. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, pretty sure Simmons is a Free Safety. You keep Battle where he is at and use Dax as a Slot Corner like most have been saying 

A first round pick who plays slot corner for one year. 

Such an awful pick. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they entertain the idea of bringing in Justin Simmons, you might as well sign him to a 3 year deal and start prepping Dax to take Hilton's spot in '25.

That would be the plan.

(03-07-2024, 02:44 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: What a year to be looking for a free agent safety. Lots of options on the market. I’d love Justin Simmons or Poyer. I think they bring what we were missing last year, they both can be relied on to play deep and they both have good play recognition instincts that Dax just hasn’t developed thus far. I’m on board with your plan Nate, even though I honestly expected more out of Dax than just being a slot corner.

Yes, it is a great year as far as options to improve the Defense. Cool

I understand that about Dax just being a Slot Corner, but he can also play Nickel Safety and even WILL Linebacker. 

He seems to like playing in the middle more than on the backend from what I have seen of him. Simmons great at playing on the backend
as Free Safety. Battle also seems comfortable on the backend as a tackling enforcer at Strong Safety.

(03-07-2024, 02:53 PM)Synric Wrote: I know fans won't like hearing this but when the Bengals sign a post safety like Quandre Diggs this off-season Dax Hill will go back to playing the strong safety like the beginning of last season. He looked good in that role to start the year. 

Nope, don't like hearing it lol

Battle looked pretty great at Strong Safety late last season, I am not for benching him for Dax who is the much more versatile Secondary player.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: A first round pick who plays slot corner for one year. 

Such an awful pick. 

Nah, you left out that I mentioned Nickle Safety as well and he could even play as a WILL Linebacker on passing downs and now a days 
the Slot Corner plays way more than in the past.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: A first round pick who plays slot corner for one year. 

Such an awful pick. 

it's not looking good so far. I really just wish they leave him at FS and let him develop there 

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 03:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope, don't like hearing it lol

Battle looked pretty great at Strong Safety late last season, I am not for benching him for Dax who is the much more versatile Secondary player.

We forget Dax Hill looked like one of the best players on the defense for the first 6 or 7 games. He did have a bad game against Houston week 8ish, but Hill looked like a dynamic playmaker getting his hands on balls and collecting negative plays/qb hits early. When they benched Nick Scott it forced Hill back to the post which is alot larger area or responsibility and it's not something he is experienced at even in college. (If I remember he had like 150 post snaps in 2 seasons at Michigan.)

Edit: The NFL as a whole ran alot more 12 personnel formations because the defenses are going heavy cover 2. In 2024 I expect some teams like the Bengals to rely more on 3 safety looks to combat this.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Safeties are being devalued because RBs are being devalued.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 03:18 PM)Synric Wrote: We forget Dax Hill looked like one of the best players on the defense for the first 6 or 7 games. He did have a bad game against Houston week 8ish, but Hill looked like a dynamic playmaker getting his hands on balls and collecting negative plays/qb hits early. When they benched Nick Scott it forced Hill back to the post which is alot larger area or responsibility and it's not something he is experienced at even in college. (If I remember he had like 150 post snaps in 2 seasons at Michigan.)

Edit: The NFL as a whole ran alot more 12 personnel formations because the defenses are going heavy cover 2. In 2024 I expect some teams like the Bengals to rely more on 3 safety looks to combat this.

Nice post Synric, I agree Dax looked a ton better earlier in the season and once they benched Nick Scott it put a ton more on his table 
and he struggled. But that is the thing, if you bring in a guy like Justin Simmons who is experienced playing the post FS role while keeping
Battle at SS and using Dax where he is more comfortable, I think the entire Defense should be muchly improved.

But Battle was a stud at SS for a rookie, I don't like the thought of benching him much at all.

People downplaying the role of Slot Corner don't know shit BTW. That is still pretty much a starting position on Defense in the modern NFL.

Don't understand saying it is an awful pick to have a Slot Corner/Nickle in place for when Hilton moves on.
Reply/Quote
Poyer apparently did not have a good year last year, after stellar seasons previously. At 32, he is probably on the downside as a safety. For the previous two years (2021 and 2022 seasons) he was at the top in terms of coverage, leading all players in passer rating in terms of being the nearest defender in coverage. But last year he had a big fall off from those numbers, going from allowing opponents to complete 49% of their passes to 73% of their passes and his passer rating ballooning to 105.1.

On the other hand, Simmons (30 years old) had a good year, making second-team all pro for the 4th year in his career.

I would be excited by a Simmons' signing, if the price is right, particularly given he seems to be a high-character individual that would be another good leader in the clubhouse and on the field. I wouldn't have the same excitement if the Bengals signed Poyer. Perhaps their PFF ratings tell another story.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 03:18 PM)Synric Wrote: We forget Dax Hill looked like one of the best players on the defense for the first 6 or 7 games. He did have a bad game against Houston week 8ish, but Hill looked like a dynamic playmaker getting his hands on balls and collecting negative plays/qb hits early. When they benched Nick Scott it forced Hill back to the post which is alot larger area or responsibility and it's not something he is experienced at even in college. (If I remember he had like 150 post snaps in 2 seasons at Michigan.)

I may be wrong, but I thought Bengals played 3 safeties in 2023 a lot. So, I think you nailed it. 

We need an experienced safety who is hungry for a Super Bowl. I think Simmons would be a great addition, expensive but I would say more important than Tee Higgins if we could only afford one of them.

I am all for Simmons. Our defense suffered when we lost our 2 starting safeties.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 07:12 PM)J24 Wrote: I completely disagree with no one signing Reader. If he has a positive prognosis than someone will pay big money on him.

Only as I stated if circumstances change meaning cleared and playing 1st game
Reply/Quote