Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veterans Day - Who served in your family
I know we have several veterans right here with us, some still active if I'm correct about that, but who else served in your family.

I did not so I have great respect for those who did and do something I felt I could not.  So thank you to all.

My son in law is currently in the National Guard.
My father was in the Air Force during Vietnam, but stationed in Germany.
He has a brother who was a Marine in Vietnam also.
Another uncle was in the Army in Vietnam.
Both my grandfathers severed in WWII.  One in Europe and one in Panama.
My two father-in-laws were in the army.  One was in Korea the other in Europe.

Plus numerous great-uncles during WWII.

All of them came home in one piece.  Pretty amazing when I stop and think about it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Both of my sister's sons were in the Marines.  One was just in the reserves, but the other was stationed on the Peleliu during the Gulf conflict.  Since he was of middle eastern decent (his father is from Pakistan) they would not deploy him on the mainland.  So he worked in the armory on the ship.  He also served in East Timor and saw some shit there that still messes with him.

My father was born in 1928 and was in the Army Corp of Engineers during the Korean conflict.  He was stationed in Greenland building an air base.  He had brothers and half-brothers that were born between 1900 and 1938, so I had uncles who served everywhere from WWI to Viet Nam.  One was a medic/paratrooper in Germany during WWII.  He had some grisly stories as well.
My father in law served in the Air Force during World War II and during Korea stationed on Okinawa for both. He caught the tail end of World War II and was discharged after. When Korea started, he joined back up.

I have a brother in law who was in the Air Force.

My Uncle on my moms side was in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968. His first tour was with a Marine Search team hunting those who went A.W.O.L. since he was only 17 when he joined. His second tour he was Marine Corps Recon.

I have two cousins who were in the Marine Corps as well on my moms side and multiple second cousins who served in every branch from Desert Shield/Storm to present day.

I have a great uncle who fought in World War I.

On my dads side I have a great uncle who was shot through the jaws in the first landing on Normandy, he lost all his teeth, lol.

Two uncles on my dads side were in Vietnam. One was a helicopter door gunner and the other was a medic.

I have a nephew who served during the second Iraq War in Logistics which is a fancy way of saying he was a truck driver but saw action just about every trip, some big and some small.

I have a nephew who was in the Navy but is now in the Army...weird how that worked out.

I was in the Army, don't want to discuss it.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot but I also have a aunt who served as a nurse in Vietnam.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
two uncles and a dad. none made a career of it as I did. Both uncles served in WWII (one with Elvis in 3rd AD) and my father served at FT Jackson, SC as a tanker, but they made him a admin clerk because he could type.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Both grandpas were too young to serve in Korea and too old to be drafted for Vietnam, but my paternal grandfather served a few years in the navy including during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-11-2019, 11:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: I know we have several veterans right here with us, some still active if I'm correct about that, but who else served in your family.

I did not so I have great respect for those who did and do something I felt I could not.  So thank you to all.

My son in law is currently in the National Guard.
My father was in the Air Force during Vietnam, but stationed in Germany.
He has a brother who was a Marine in Vietnam also.
Another uncle was in the Army in Vietnam.
Both my grandfathers severed in WWII.  One in Europe and one in Panama.
My two father-in-laws were in the army.  One was in Korea the other in Europe.

Plus numerous great-uncles during WWII.

All of them came home in one piece.  Pretty amazing when I stop and think about it.

My dad joined the 82nd Airborne in '43.  One uncle was a linguist in India during the Big War, another went overseas but don't know where, twin uncles joined but were sent home to farm (or something, not sure), I think, still another served in the Navy in the 50s.  My brother in law was in the Navy for a while; three of my nephews are still in uniform--1 AF 2 Army.  Another was a Marine. So far as I know, only one of my 23 or so cousins joined; don't know what branch.

I spent spent some years on deployed sites without joining. LOL  
Had an uncle and aunt in WWII. That's about the extent of it for our family. Oh yeah my dad played football for Coast Guard when you had to do mandatory service. Pretty sure he never even saw a canoe.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Plenty in my family.

Father - Marine
Father in law - Marine
Wife's Stepfather - Marine
Uncle - Navy
Brother in law - Army
Handful of cousins - Various Branches

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Ancestor had ear shot off in the Revolutionary War, lived.
Multiple ancestors fought for the North during the Civil War.
Grandpa fought in the Navy WWI. Multiple missions destroying German Uboats.
Three uncles in WWII. My Uncle Gene was shot in Europe and about lost his feet to frost bite. He was taken to a hospital in England where a German doctor that defected saved his feet. He walked with a bad limp until he passed away in the early 90's. His brother George brought back a giant Nazi "Swasticka" flag he had taken after he climbed up a flag pole in Germany and donated it to a Cincinnati museum after the war.
My dad was in the Army during the Korean War as part of a three man tank crew. He never was sent to Korea, instead he was sent to Germany and did his tank training at Ft. Benning, GA.
One of my brothers was in the Army from 1981-1991.
Several other cousins have served in all branches throughout the years.
I know there have been others in the services, but I don't know their stories. I only know that of my father, who was drafted during Vietnam and served as an engineer over there in '68-'69.

He has been at Martinsburg VA Hospital since July 1 due to complications with his service connected illnesses.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
None. Nobody in my family ever served and I personally dodged. I pretend to be patriotic but will not hesitate to slander anyone who did serve when they decide to speak out against me. Guess who I am?

I know that is a hard riddle to solve. So after you do...

For myself.. Cousins, Uncles, Gramps all served. Gramps was one of those gunners in the ball turrets(?) for ww2. Never knew the guy. Probably where I got the jackass in me to volunteer for 0331. Like a REAL AMERICAN FAMILY I thank them for their service and realize without their blood sweat and tears I wouldn't be drinking Kentucky bourbon, watching football, and eating like a fat boy on 11/11/19..