Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vets that could released this summer.
(04-28-2019, 03:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: At least you're bringing fair and good points. What if we signed another Tackle off the scrap heap or moved Michael Jordan to Tackle? He has the size.

...and no, we're not up against the cap, but that's still $9.4 million out of Mike's pocket, which is substantial for a player that has underperformed thus far.

Anyone can be cut, especially a high priced guy not performing. But Glenn being cut would be like Whittworth not being re-signed because we thought we had 2 options to take his place in my opinion.

But having said that, let's see how Glenn performs in TC and preseason games. He may show he is done, but no need to make that call this early.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 11:43 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Jordan Willis, Kerry Wynn, Glasgow, Ringo, Nickerson,  Redmond, Westerman, and Tate all have to bring there A game if they want to make the roster.

Does Nickerson have an A game?  I don't see how he remains on roster.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think Boling is a dark horse Cut/Trade options during camp depending on how well the combination of Miller, Jordan, and Hopkins play. This team appears to want to get younger and with Boling on the last year of his contract, I could see him being a casualty of other players good play.

All that being said if Jordan needs another year, or the others don't step up he stays because of his tackle versatility. I did think it was interesting they said Jordan was the kind of guy who could get you through a game at Tackle if need be.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: its that time of year where we can start guessing who stays who goes
on the final 53.
what makes it intresting as to prior years under Lewis is that  some vets
who continually underformed no longer have that umbrella to be protected by.
heres my list of vets who could released.
I dont have salary numbers in front of me so I could be wrong about a player.

Jeff Driskel. I think this is obvious. world class arm but he lacks the intangiables Findley brings

Josh Taputo (sp)  Wren is a absolute wrecking machine. he gives the  interior a DT with wingspan and bit of a seek and destroy mindset. Its Atkins Billings and Glasgow as the 1st 3.

Cody Core. another kinda obvious pick. he needs a perfect preaseason to have a chance.
but its possible a guy like Morgan Jr. moves him off the roster.
Core does nothing special his film supports that.

Josh Malone. make or break year. he needs to come out like he wants it.
he has the size and speed. but I dont see that desire to be great.

Alex Redmond. John Miller wasnt signed to wave a towel. the Bengals went oline heavy in the draft
for a reason. Redmond needs to cut the mental errors or hes gone

Auden Tate. Marvin buried him behind Core last year. but he has come out on fire
and ready to block in the run game. he had a QB throwing to.him last year who didnt exactly
do a great job of leading him on throws

Mark Walton.....oops he cut himself.

Cordy Glenn. I think Jonah Williams is the starting LT game 1.
Glenn might be odd man out as the Bengals could find a waiver wire cut as a cheaper
price to back up Williams and Hart.

nothing Auden tate has done has been on fire.
Reply/Quote
Remember Ohalete? I'm still traumatized by that free agent.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:39 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: nothing Auden tate has done has been on fire.

he.was a 7th RD pick from a offense that had a porous passing game at best. Tate was the only legit threat at FSU.
who was the QB at FSU?
Tate showed me more than Core did in his  limited snaps. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: its that time of year where we can start guessing who stays who goes
on the final 53.

Jeff Driskel. I think this is obvious. world class arm but he lacks the intangiables Findley brings

Josh Taputo (sp)  Wren is a absolute wrecking machine. he gives the  interior a DT with wingspan and bit of a seek and destroy mindset. Its Atkins Billings and Glasgow as the 1st 3.

Cody Core. another kinda obvious pick. he needs a perfect preaseason to have a chance.

Alex Redmond. John Miller wasnt signed to wave a towel. the Bengals went oline heavy in the draft

Auden Tate. Marvin buried him behind Core last year. but he has come out on fire
and ready to block in the run game. he had a QB throwing to.him last year who didnt exactly

Glenn might be odd man out as the Bengals could find a waiver wire cut as a cheaper

No way they cut glenn.  Glenn has value at RT or guard. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
on the final 53.

If there were Marvin Favorites, that is Over.   I suggest every single Bengal show up in practices and show the new head coach and coaches they deserve a spot on this team.  Every Bengal.   Coming off Last Place and a new head coach, they all have to prove they are the solution, not the problem.  NEW DEY
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: Glenn's main problem last season was health.  He looked good to me out there, until he started battling the injury bug.  It was so bad near the end of the season, they gave him an epidural before a game to try to get him on the field.  As a lineman, it's very tough to do your job with back issues that bad.

I'm aware of his injury issues. Tbh, that plays into it. The guy has been a walking injury for several years. I know firsthand that back issues don't go away, they only get worse. At some point you have to ask "is it worth $9.4 million?"

I'm sure the FO is at least asking themselves that. 

(04-29-2019, 09:04 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Anyone can be cut, especially a high priced guy not performing. But Glenn being cut would be like Whittworth not being re-signed because we thought we had 2 options to take his place in my opinion.

But having said that, let's see how Glenn performs in TC and preseason games. He may show he is done, but no need to make that call this early.

There is no comparison between Whit and the current Glenn. Whit was healthy and playing at an elite level. Glenn has battled constant injuries and played poorly. As for seeing how Glenn looks in TC and preseason, that's totally fair. Tbh, that will probably determine whether or not he's on the roster. If he doesn't show improvement from last year, it's hard to justify keeping him. 

Where they decide to play Jonah Williams and Glenn's health/performance will be something to keep an eye on through TC. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tate showed me more than Core did in his  limited snaps. 

Then you were not watching very close.

Core caught a much higher percent of his targets (46.4 to 33.3)

Core averaged a lot more yards per catch (12.3 to 8.8)

Core scored a td.  Tate didn't.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It doesn't matter if he's rated 100th OT..... he's still in the top 2 on this team. Everyone saying move him to guard, or cut him, which tackle ON OUR TEAM are you going to replace him with? We won't get someone else's retread that is better than him. Even if Williams plays LT, Glenn is our best bet at RT. Glenn, playing on his knees, is better than Bobby Hart simply due to his massive size.

Glenn, playing on his knees, is better than Bobby Hart...

Funny shit man, but TRUE. 

Sled is thinking correctly here. Glenn is far better than Hart and no doubt Williams is as well so Hart for probably only 1 year will be the backup tackle. Everyone else will battle for playing time or for some a spot on the roster. 

Given the new staff and new systems, I would expect more vets to be cut then most think, part of this will be culture based. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: he.was a 7th RD pick from a offense that had a porous passing game at best. Tate was the only legit threat at FSU.
who was the QB at FSU?
Tate showed me more than Core did in his  limited snaps. 

Show'd us how to drop them passes for first downs.. Sure did.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:39 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: nothing Auden tate has done has been on fire.

Not true.

He lit up the preseason last year...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think Giovani Bernard could be on the trade block during camp. If Williams and Anderson show something they could trade Gio for a late round pick and free up a little cap space for AJ and Boyd.

Edit: They also picked up some UDFA RBs. Gio job is not safe by any means.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 03:07 PM)Synric Wrote: I think Giovani Bernard could be on the trade block during camp. If Williams and Anderson show something they could trade Gio for a late round pick and free up a little cap space for AJ and Boyd.

Edit: They also picked up some UDFA RBs. Gio job is not safe by any means.

One thing that Giovanni Bernard is quite good at, no matter what happens when the ball is in his hands, is picking up the free rusher in pass pro.  For the team to feel secure in being able to move Bernard, I would think that one or both of Williams and Anderson will have to demonstrate that they can do the same.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:46 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think Boling is a dark horse Cut/Trade options during camp depending on how well the combination of Miller, Jordan, and Hopkins play. This team appears to want to get younger and with Boling on the last year of his contract, I could see him being a casualty of other players good play.

All that being said if Jordan needs another year, or the others don't step up he stays because of his tackle versatility. I did think it was interesting they said Jordan was the kind of guy who could get you through a game at Tackle if need be.

I don't it's feasible that he gets cut and I think it's unlikely he gets traded.  Among the interior OL, Price, Miller, and Jordan are the only ones under contract for next year.  Boling and Westerman are in the last years of their deals and Trey and Redmond are on one year RFA tenders.  It doesn't make much sense to cut him to keep a worse player that's also in a contract year.

Jordan has the length to play T, but I don't want a guy Isaiah Prince kept on the inside lining up at T for the Bengals.  That's an "Antwaan Odom...is not human!" moment waiting to happen.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 05:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: Jordan has the length to play T, but I don't want a guy Isaiah Prince kept on the inside lining up at T for the Bengals.  

I'm not sure that it's as much Isaiah Prince kept Jordan on the inside, as much as Jordan was the best one on the roster to move to Center.  So much of what Urban Meyer's offenses did depended upon running the ball up the gut, and the interior OL creating lanes for the QB to run through, when the heat came from the outside.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 06:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that it's as much Isaiah Prince kept Jordan on the inside, as much as Jordan was the best one on the roster to move to Center.  So much of what Urban Meyer's offenses did depended upon running the ball up the gut, and the interior OL creating lanes for the QB to run through, when the heat came from the outside.

He's taller as a C than you normally want.  It's possible, but either way, the kid has no college experience at T.  You're not just going to run him through a few days of T drills in camp and throw him out there.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 06:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's taller as a C than you normally want.  It's possible, but either way, the kid has no college experience at T.  You're not just going to run him through a few days of T drills in camp and throw him out there.  

Well, I never suggested that we "throw him out there" at Tackle.  However, I'm willing to bet money that he was a Superstar at Tackle in HS, so the idea of playing T, likely wouldn't be new material to him.  Personally, I think his best shot is at taking one of the starting Guard spots, but don't be surprised to see him playing some Tackle in preseason games. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 04:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One thing that Giovanni Bernard is quite good at, no matter what happens when the ball is in his hands, is picking up the free rusher in pass pro.  For the team to feel secure in being able to move Bernard, I would think that one or both of Williams and Anderson will have to demonstrate that they can do the same.

Williams and Anderson are known for having solid pass blocking technique. Williams is better but Anderson has better size.

Moving on from Gio will free up over 3.5 mil in cap space they could use for AJ Boyd and Vigil. It's not that I hate Gio he's a great RB by committee but I think they are past that now BJGE and Jeremy Hill are gone. Gio is not a RB that can carry a load for a season so I think it's an easy move.....

He would fit well as a receiving back in NE NO Detroit...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote