Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vets that could released this summer.
(05-05-2019, 07:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Williams and Anderson are known for having solid pass blocking technique. Williams is better but Anderson has better size.

Moving on from Gio will free up over 3.5 mil in cap space they could use for AJ Boyd and Vigil. It's not that I hate Gio he's a great RB by committee but I think they are past that now BJGE and Jeremy Hill are gone. Gio is not a RB that can carry a load for a season so I think it's an easy move.....

He would fit well as a receiving back in NE NO Detroit...

I don’t agree. Gio has some explosiveness, good moves (down hill) and puts his heart into every play. He’s performed admirably when needed. Great team player you don’t hear much about because he does his job and stays out of trouble. We are not paying him killer money.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 07:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Williams and Anderson are known for having solid pass blocking technique. Williams is better but Anderson has better size.

Moving on from Gio will free up over 3.5 mil in cap space they could use for AJ Boyd and Vigil. It's not that I hate Gio he's a great RB by committee but I think they are past that now BJGE and Jeremy Hill are gone. Gio is not a RB that can carry a load for a season so I think it's an easy move.....

(05-05-2019, 07:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t agree. Gio has some explosiveness, good moves (down hill) and puts his heart into every play. He’s performed admirably when needed. Great team player you don’t hear much about because he does his job and stays out of trouble. We are not paying him killer money.

You both make great points.  Yes, it would be cap smart to get something in trade out of Bernard, while we still can.  However, I can't fully endorse making that move, until I see one or both of those RB prospects do something noteworthy.  Gio still has tread on the tires, but he has shown that he cannot carry the full load as a feature back.  He's best in a RBBC situation, and used as the 3rd down, or change of pace back.  The fresh legs will likely ultimately have a greater impact than holding onto a part time performer.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 07:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t agree. Gio has some explosiveness, good moves (down hill) and puts his heart into every play. He’s performed admirably when needed. Great team player you don’t hear much about because he does his job and stays out of trouble. We are not paying him killer money.

And he's a pretty good receiver ! He may really shine under ZT and Callahan.
Reply/Quote
I think Gio is on the roster this year unless Williams blows everyone out of the water.Gio is still the best pass blocker among RBs on this team.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 06:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I never suggested that we "throw him out there" at Tackle.  However, I'm willing to bet money that he was a Superstar at Tackle in HS, so the idea of playing T, likely wouldn't be new material to him.  Personally, I think his best shot is at taking one of the starting Guard spots, but don't be surprised to see him playing some Tackle in preseason games. 

In high school you say?  Well, I guess that solves everything.

In seriousness, college T's often have to move inside to G in the NFL.  It's extremely rare for college interior OL to move outside to T with any success.  
Reply/Quote

I'm just saying he is my surprise cut. I would move on from him over Clint Boling that people are mentioning as a surprise cut.

Dont get my wrong I love Gio but it would be a smart cap move if Williams, Anderson and some of the UDFA show something in OTAs and camps. Remember 2019 is his last season so he will have to be resigned to stay a Bengal and they just drafted two.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Another name not being talked about in the least who was drafted last year in the 7th was Rod Taylor. We have seen almost nothing of him since his early injury before last preseason. He played 4 years in the SEC so it's not like he came out of nowhere from some small school nobody ever heard about. I'll be very interested to see what, if anything he can do this year. I doubt anyone is thinking he'll replace Williams, but he might make some noise to shove Hart or someone else out.. We'll see. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

I think Gio should and will be kept for this season. Anderson has a big history of injuries so I wouldn't want to count on him being RB3. Plus, Gio hits FA after this year so his cap will be freed up at that point. They have plenty of cap left for extensions without cutting/trading Gio.

I also would be wary of cutting/trading Boling or Glenn, as the team only has Glenn, Hart, and Williams as OTs and Boling as an emergency OT.
Even if Williams does take over a starting role over Glenn or Hart, take the cap hit this year and cut/trade next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boling not extended after this season due to both Westerman and Jordan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote