Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vic Fangio
(12-15-2018, 01:14 PM)McC Wrote: Three of our last four #1 picks play offense.  I believe a defensive HC is allowed to draft offense.

We'd just need to bring in a really great OC.

Our main issue with our draft picks is we've arguably missed on 4 of the last 5 1st Round picks. The jury is out on Price still. And Eifert was 6 drafts ago is always injured.

Not many teams will be competitive in this scenario.
Reply/Quote
Sure it's an offensive league which is exactly what the NFL wants. But when your team has an historically bad defence, you have to do something about it. The D still has to get you offense good field position, or get the other teams " high power offense" off the field every now and then. Our D can't do anything. I'm all for an offensive minded coach but to ignore this D this off season would be a huge mistake. I still think the Oline should be our priority in RD 1-2 but we are desperate for some play play making LB's and DB's that can create turnovers.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:30 PM)MentalRage Wrote: It's an offensive sport now. I'd rather go young and innovative. That is coming from a guy who loves defense. Times are changing and I want the Bengals go with the current and not against it.

I agree but offensive doesn't necessarily mean Offensive. As long as we get a new HC that is aggressive i don't care
what side of the ball he coached.
Reply/Quote
We really need a coach who can scout, and install a system for practice that makes players better. Game day, we need some fire to motivate guys.
Reply/Quote
Okay, let me get this straight. Our defense is historically bad, yet everyone is screaming for an offensive HC. Sure. That makes sense. Apparently, a coach with defensive roots would not be allowed or inclined to hire an offensive whiz to run his offense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 02:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We really need a coach who can scout, and install a system for practice that makes players better. Game day, we need some fire to motivate guys.

True that.

(12-15-2018, 03:01 PM)McC Wrote: Okay, let me get this straight.  Our defense is historically bad, yet everyone is screaming for an offensive HC.  Sure.  That makes sense.  Apparently, a coach with defensive roots would not be allowed or inclined to hire an offensive whiz to run his offense.

Yeah, not every young offensive coach is Sean McVay that is for sure.

Our Defense needs to be improved the most and i would be fine with Fangio. Then let him pick his innovative OC.
Reply/Quote
I would love to get Vic and Jim Harbaugh back together, this time here. Would be epic.

.....if only.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:30 PM)MentalRage Wrote: It's an offensive sport now. I'd rather go young and innovative. That is coming from a guy who loves defense. Times are changing and I want the Bengals go with the current and not against it.

The Bears tho

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 01:04 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'm feeling this right now. I just posted this to another thread but it is a video breakdown of how Fangio's defense (third in fewest points allowed) stopped the LA Rams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n04gbQBMZt0&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Notice that a lot of that game they played with a 6 man front which you could do just as easily from a 4-3. Yes I realize 3-4 outside linebackers are closer to defensive ends but the point here is they were playing a run stopping defense from the line and executing. Also note how the analyst talks about Vic using his corners effectively. Putting players in a position to succeed is a head coaching quality. So is being very aware of what the other team does and game planning against it. I have no idea who we'd have as a DC under Vic but you could certainly have one who is more adept with a 4-3 as well.

If he came up with that for the Rams, just imagine what he could come up with for the Steelers two or three times per year?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote