Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video: Kids in diapers swear at, attack cops in Minnesota
(07-14-2022, 10:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, some would argue you having the luxury to even doubt that you had privilege could be a sign of privilege. 

Maybe so. I was wild enough to shoot at. And they didn’t.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 08:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It seems to me like our major political parties make their hay by promising to take stuff away, so this is beyond a moot point isn't it?

Promises are just words. To fall for political promises is idiocy. So yes, many do make money off lies.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 10:41 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Maybe so. I was wild enough to shoot at. And they didn’t.

So, to the conversation goin on in this thread, why were you that way? 

Bad parenting? Video games? Something else?

Did you "grow out of it"? Or were you "scared straight"?

And I'm being sincere.   This thread is filled with people discussing others but not themselves.  You seem to be a decent adult so can we have hope for the kids in the OP?

Personally I was a rule follower and respected adults and people in positions of power: priests, cops, teachers, etc.  My parents taught me well and I was never in any trouble as a kid.  Not even a detention.  So I can't comment on what it takes to turn a life around other than a few friends who seem to have made it to adulthood despite the way they acted as children.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 09:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: While training your kids to hate the police seems counter productive, I can't say if I had black kids that I wouldn't tell them the police aren't guaranteed to treat them like friends. I can't say this is wrong much more than I can say it's wrong for my army pals to hate arabs. It isn't my place to tell people to mellow out.

Take the police out of it. What little kid talks like this to anyone? It’s absurd.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2022, 09:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Take the police out of it. What little kid talks like this to anyone?  It’s absurd.

30+ years ago I heard a 4 or 5 year old my aunt would babysit gleefully point out that he saw "N-words" at the pool.  

Every neighborhood I'd live in or visit or class I was in had at least one kid who had lax parents or older siblings and that kid would regale us with all the curse words, sex words, details of horror movie killings and racial slurs. 

Now that i think of it the first kid I knew who swore a blue streak in 1st grade is a cop now.  At any rate, this stuff doesn't strike me as new. 

When I was a kid I'd work new words into my vocabulary and when my mom would say "Where did you hear that word?" Id know it wasn't kosher. 

Classic moment of me at the age of 8 casually using the word f-- in a sentence because my cousin used it to describe the band Nelson.  Seemed like a perfectly cromulent word at the time. 
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2022, 09:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 30+ years ago I heard a 4 or 5 year old my aunt would babysit gleefully point out that he saw "N-words" at the pool.  

Every neighborhood I'd live in or visit or class I was in had at least one kid who had lax parents or older siblings and that kid would regale us with all the curse words, sex words, details of horror movie killings and racial slurs. 

Now that i think of it the first kid I knew who swore a blue streak in 1st grade is a cop now.  At any rate, this stuff doesn't strike me as new. 

When I was a kid I'd work new words into my vocabulary and when my mom would say "Where did you hear that word?" Id know it wasn't kosher. 

Classic moment of me at the age of 8 casually using the word f-- in a sentence because my cousin used it to describe the band Nelson.  Seemed like a perfectly cromulent word at the time. 

That's funny to me because I didn't even swear until 9th grade...lol.

My school (catholic) was near my home and I was so afraid word would get back to my parents! 

I was in my 40's before I dropped an f-bomb in front of my mom and dad.  They do swear, just not as much as the kids do.

And none of my upbringing kept me from swearing and such when I got older.

In fact I was worse as a young adult than I was as a kid. It wasn't "acting out" once I was out of the house as much as seeing that swearing and drinking and things weren't as evil as I was taught.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2022, 09:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's funny to me because I didn't even swear until 9th grade...lol.

My school (catholic) was near my home and I was so afraid word would get back to my parents! 

I was in my 40's before I dropped an f-bomb in front of my mom and dad.  They do swear, just not as much as the kids do.

My mom had to give me a pass for accidentally teaching me a slur after singing mares eat oats to me when I was 5. 

I found out that using the Q word to mean weird was no longer acceptable.  Thanks mom. 
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2022, 09:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: My mom had to give me a pass for accidentally teaching me a slur after singing mares eat oats to me when I was 5. 

I found out that using the Q word to mean weird was no longer acceptable.  Thanks mom. 

I remember talking to my son about "sped" classes when I was in school.  He was SHOCKED that people would talk that way.

Periodically, if the situation arises, I will tell them one of the jokes that were hilarious to us in the 80's that you couldn't say in public now just to see them shake their heads and how far we have come!  LMAO!
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2022, 09:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 30+ years ago I heard a 4 or 5 year old my aunt would babysit gleefully point out that he saw "N-words" at the pool.  

Great point, it's not.

The issues and problems of today aren't that far separated from the ones 50 years ago, 150 years ago, 500 years ago and so on. The reasons change over time, obviously there weren't any cellphones or playstations 150 years ago. But still the core problems aren't that different.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2022, 10:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: I remember talking to my son about "sped" classes when I was in school.  He was SHOCKED that people would talk that way.

Periodically, if the situation arises, I will tell them one of the jokes that were hilarious to us in the 80's that you couldn't say in public now just to see them shake their heads and how far we have come!  LMAO!

I've said many times and it's true. I'm so glad there wasn't any social media or cell phones back in my day. Our teachers got up games of smear the Q on the playground. Different world.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2022, 11:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've said many times and it's true. I'm so glad there wasn't any social media or cell phones back in my day. Our teachers got up games of smear the Q on the playground. Different world.

Maybe smear the Qanon will be the game of the future on the playground. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 10:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: So, to the conversation goin on in this thread, why were you that way? 

Bad parenting? Video games? Something else?

Did you "grow out of it"? Or were you "scared straight"?

And I'm being sincere.   This thread is filled with people discussing others but not themselves.  You seem to be a decent adult so can we have hope for the kids in the OP?

Personally I was a rule follower and respected adults and people in positions of power: priests, cops, teachers, etc.  My parents taught me well and I was never in any trouble as a kid.  Not even a detention.  So I can't comment on what it takes to turn a life around other than a few friends who seem to have made it to adulthood despite the way they acted as children.

To quickly answer, I had (have) great parents and was taught to respect adults and figures in those positions the same way you were. Then I hit my teenage years and ran with the absolute wrong crowd which changed my trajectory in a major way.

To condense a long story, the Marine Corps more or less saved my life.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2022, 12:06 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: To quickly answer, I had (have) great parents and was taught to respect adults and figures in those positions the same way you were. Then I hit my teenage years and ran with the absolute wrong crowd which changed my trajectory in a major way.

To condense a long story, the Marine Corps more or less saved my life.

Excellent.

In relation to the OP you weren't "bad" until later...I get that.  I had friends I'd gone to school with who just chose the wrong path too.  I'd suppose that having that good base as a child from your parents helped you realize the error of your ways once the military gave you what you needed.

That's great!

I just wonder if the kids in the first post won't have that opportunity or if everyone is redeemable given the right circumstances.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
I recall my old man rather plainly telling me that I wasn't born into a draft dodging or law defying family of luxury. Basically, it was before you get in trouble, understand that I don't have the money or influence to get you out of it.

I also recall him being apologetic that he didn't have a business or inheritance to give me. Well, perspective is a gift, I suppose.

Generally, i guess this is why our zeal for authoritarian rule is concerning to me. I wasn't raised to picture myself as the one wearing the boot that is on the neck. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 09:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Would you agree that childhood events and teachings are far more impactful on a person's psyche and development than those of adolescents?  As someone who spent a large chunk of their early adulthood working with abused children I can assure you this is the case.  You can build a house from the top down, but it's much more difficult and it's much more likely the results will be less than ideal than if you build from the foundation up.

My field of expertise is neuropsychology. 

While it is true that a very significant amount of brain growth occurs within the first 5-7 years of a person's life, brain development continues to be affected by many important factors as the child navigates each stage through young adulthood. These include emotional support, cognitive stimulation, adequate nutrition, interactive attention, environmental comfort, establishment of trust, etc. All these things help assist / prepare a developing brain in terms of future brain function, capacity for learning and overall mental health. 

As children enter and progress through school, social activity and different environmental pressures, it's equally as important for parents / ' guardians to maintain a positive, structured and interactive influence. Even in the case of 14-17 year olds, where we find the most rejection and opposition to said influence, the influence itself is still registering within the mind, and will always be available to be drawn upon. This is a very important period of cognitive development that can help positively shape and impact a mind, even when the person is resistant. 

While providing a solid foundation during the early stages of childhood is extremely important for many reasons, but that foundation must constantly be built upon and maintained throughout adolescence -- adjusting for external pressures and allowing for independent growth. The foundation of a house is meaningless if you built said house in a way that it can be toppled by the first challenge of wind it encounters. It's important to do everything in your power to build the house as strong as possible from foundation to rooftop. 

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 07:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Kids should be raised to be respectful and taught to contribute to the world. If they refuse, show discipline. Many families have done away with these values and we have declined because of it. 

great points. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 09:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wish I had an answer. I believe one of the bigger reasons is the dehumanization of society. What I mean is the majority of the US, especially 40 and under live their lives in near total separation for other humans all day long. Everywhere you look everybody has their face buried in a cell phone. People don't talk, people don't neighbor, people don't interact.

And it gets worse everyday. Kids (anybody under 30) won't even answer the phone. You call them and they'll text you back, what ? I'm playing playstation.

nailed it. get the outside. let them use there imaginations.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 09:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wish I had an answer. I believe one of the bigger reasons is the dehumanization of society. What I mean is the majority of the US, especially 40 and under live their lives in near total separation for other humans all day long. Everywhere you look everybody has their face buried in a cell phone. People don't talk, people don't neighbor, people don't interact.

And it gets worse everyday. Kids (anybody under 30) won't even answer the phone. You call them and they'll text you back, what ? I'm playing playstation.

I mean I'm under 40 and you've got like 5 times the amount of posts here and over 100 more threads started than I do.

I'm assuming (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you're older than me - Gen X or silent generation would be my guess - but you clearly spend more time here than I do. 

Now using that small amount of data, can we really assume it's millennial and Gen Z who have their faces buried in their phones all the time? Or is it just kind of the state of humanity these days?

All I'm saying is - broad strokes, my friend.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2022, 07:23 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I mean I'm under 40 and you've got like 5 times the amount of posts here and over 100 more threads started than I do.

I'm assuming (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you're older than me - Gen X or silent generation would be my guess - but you clearly spend more time here than I do. 

Now using that small amount of data, can we really assume it's millennial and Gen Z who have their faces buried in their phones all the time? Or is it just kind of the state of humanity these days?

All I'm saying is - broad strokes, my friend.

I'm a baby boomer. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 09:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wish I had an answer. I believe one of the bigger reasons is the dehumanization of society. What I mean is the majority of the US, especially 40 and under live their lives in near total separation for other humans all day long. Everywhere you look everybody has their face buried in a cell phone. People don't talk, people don't neighbor, people don't interact.

Phone calls are outdated.  It's like when we were kids and our grandparents were like "Kids these days don't even know Morse code anymore!"

I'll call you back later, im playing Atari 5200!
Reply/Quote