Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video gamers! I need your help!!
So, my birthday was this past Monday - thank you, thank you. But I don't get paid until this weekend. Ergo, my birthday present of which will be 2 new games for my Xbox Series X has to wait until Thursday before purchase. Now, 1 of those games will be Resident Evil 4 Remake. The other is where I will need your help.

I can't decide between Hogwarts Legacy and Evil West (HL and EW respectively as I do not want to fully type out each name for the rest of this post). Now, I'm no Harry Potter superfan but I did enjoy the movies. I wasn't originally ever planning on playing HL but I was bored and decided to see what the fuss was about and I gotta admit, the gameplay looked like a lot fun.

EW has been on my radar for awhile and what's not to love? Vampires vs Cowboys? Everything seems to point to a fun, if somewhat flawed game.

I can't decide between these 2 so I'm asking for your opinions. Feel free to share other games you think I might enjoy, but note I owned and played a lot of games (also a GamePass Ultimate subscriber) . Currently in the midst of playing Diablo IV. Started Diablo after finishing Jedi Survivor.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I bought Hogwarts Legacy for my kids and have ended up playing it myself lol. The combat is harder than I expected.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Xeno about to write you a novel...I haven't played either so I'm of no help.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 04:19 PM)basballguy Wrote: Xeno about to write you a novel...I haven't played either so I'm of no help.

LoL i have actually not played Either Evil West or Hogwarts Legacy... Both are still on my Too Buy list.

Hogwarts looks like an Excellent RPG  i'm not a huge Harry Potter fan so i didnt rush in.  But this i believe is set before Harry Potters time so if your a fan of the world/Lore but not harry himself you might like it.

Evil West is more of a Shooting Action game. That has COOP  and looks really fun reminds me of Darkwatch from older systems.. That said it is likely a lot shorter of a game overall about 10-12 hours vs hogwarts 60-100 (minus replays)  if that matters to you.

***gamepass
If you havent tried High on Life and you like that Dirty Humor give it a shot lol

If you are looking for a great coop game  It Takes Two     (my buddy and i are enjoying a lot)

Any of the Newer Assassin Creed Games  Origins. Odyssey. Valhalla were all good (some of these are on gamepass)

Shadow Warrior 3  was a blast (plays like Doom eternal)
The Outer Worlds is also worth a shot

Other than that if you like Jedi Survivor you might like Sekiro / Lies of P (out soon)

Some games like Diablo
Wolcen and Grim Dawn.  Look interesting haven't tried though
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 10:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So, my birthday was this past Monday - thank you, thank you. But I don't get paid until this weekend. Ergo, my birthday present of which will be 2 new games for my Xbox Series X has to wait until Thursday before purchase. Now, 1 of those games will be Resident Evil 4 Remake. The other is where I will need your help.

I can't decide between Hogwarts Legacy and Evil West (HL and EW respectively as I do not want to fully type out each name for the rest of this post). Now, I'm no Harry Potter superfan but I did enjoy the movies. I wasn't originally ever planning on playing HL but I was bored and decided to see what the fuss was about and I gotta admit, the gameplay looked like a lot fun.

EW has been on my radar for awhile and what's not to love? Vampires vs Cowboys? Everything seems to point to a fun, if somewhat flawed game.

I can't decide between these 2 so I'm asking for your opinions. Feel free to share other games you think I might enjoy, but note I owned and played a lot of games (also a GamePass Ultimate subscriber) . Currently in the midst of playing Diablo IV. Started Diablo after finishing Jedi Survivor.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

HL is an excellent game.  It has nothing to do with HP himself as it is set during the Goblin Rebellions, which were mentioned in the books and movies.  All of the HW sets/scene and Hogsmeade scenes are from the movie sets and the graphics are fantastic.

The combat is very challenging.  The most important spell is Repulso, which allows you to deflect most spells and other attacks.  When upgraded it is completely OP, BUT necessary.  It never gets repetitive either.  The problem with the combat and difficulty is that success relies so completely on defense (repulso and rolling out of the way), that you better not miss one.  On Easy and lower difficulty you get a color cue AND get shown the key to press to Repulso (Flashing yellow icon Yellow and Y button on Xbox) and roll (Red and B) that missing them can be very very bad. On Normal and higher difficulties you get a very subtle yellow or red clue but no button indicator, so until you're used to looking for the color instead of the icon, I'd suggest starting on Easy difficulty.  Once you've faced 20 goblins/dark wizards at once, Easy won't feel easy, trust me.

Talents - 
CORE are all critical.  
SPELLS - make sure youl ike using the spells before you upgrade them.
Repulso - upgrade everything about it.  At max it stuns (Stupify), damages and curses the enemy.

Flying:  Once you get a broom, if you're having an issue getting to a ledge or place, even if it's just a the second level of an abandoned building, skip the platforming puzzle they intended and jump on your broom instead.  Never forget about your broom, it really shrinks the "open world" (good thing).

Start on Easy or the combat will eat you.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 09:24 AM)Stewy Wrote: HL is an excellent game.  It has nothing to do with HP himself as it is set during the Goblin Rebellions, which were mentioned in the books and movies.  All of the HW sets/scene and Hogsmeade scenes are from the movie sets and the graphics are fantastic.

The combat is very challenging.  The most important spell is Repulso, which allows you to deflect most spells and other attacks.  When upgraded it is completely OP, BUT necessary.  It never gets repetitive either.  The problem with the combat and difficulty is that success relies so completely on defense (repulso and rolling out of the way), that you better not miss one.  On Easy and lower difficulty you get a color cue AND get shown the key to press to Repulso (Flashing yellow icon Yellow and Y button on Xbox) and roll (Red and B) that missing them can be very very bad. On Normal and higher difficulties you get a very subtle yellow or red clue but no button indicator, so until you're used to looking for the color instead of the icon, I'd suggest starting on Easy difficulty.  Once you've faced 20 goblins/dark wizards at once, Easy won't feel easy, trust me.

Talents - 
CORE are all critical.  
SPELLS - make sure youl ike using the spells before you upgrade them.
Repulso - upgrade everything about it.  At max it stuns (Stupify), damages and curses the enemy.

If find myself switching spell sets for different mobs. Huge groups of spiders and zombines I like Accio over Repulso. I can gather them in groups and AoE lol.

I agree to start out on easy which is something I never do in games and the combat had a massive learning curve on normal.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I haven’t played either of those so I couldn’t tell you which way to lean. But HL looks like a game you can always start up and have / find something to get into. EW looks like one of those “play it once, maybe twice for the trophies, and hardly play it again” types. I could be wrong though, as again I’ve not played either of these titles.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: ***gamepass
If you havent tried High on Life and you like that Dirty Humor give it a shot lol

Tried it and while I found it hilarious, I found the gameplay kinda boring.

(07-19-2023, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If you are looking for a great coop game  It Takes Two     (my buddy and i are enjoying a lot)

Played it and beat it with my daughters. 

(07-19-2023, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Any of the Newer Assassin Creed Games  Origins. Odyssey. Valhalla were all good (some of these are on gamepass)

Played and beaten every Assassin's Creed game including the ones, what were they called Chronicles? India, Russia, and a 3rd one I can't remember. Hell, I even have played all Prince of Persia games, too.

(07-19-2023, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Shadow Warrior 3  was a blast (plays like Doom eternal)

SW3 is aboslutely awesome. Hilarious and fun. (Beat it, BTW)

(07-19-2023, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The Outer Worlds is also worth a shot

Tried it, but I just can't seem to get into it. Maybe I'm just too tired of the Fallout/Skyrim type games.

(07-19-2023, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Other than that if you like Jedi Survivor you might like Sekiro / Lies of P (out soon)

Bought and played Sekiro awhile ago. Got all the way to the last boss and eventually gave up. He was too hard. Been meaning to try it again, but I've got way too many games to get through before I get back to Sekiro.

(07-19-2023, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Some games like Diablo
Wolcen and Grim Dawn.  Look interesting haven't tried though

Wolcen's on my wishlist but not looking to get it righ tnow

Thanks for the input, Xeno!
Reply/Quote
If you never Tried the First Remnant: From the Ashes... You might like it especially if you have coop partner. (not split screen i dont think) 2nd one is out soon as well. (But these are also challenging)

Deaths Door was also an excellent little indie title.

I tried looking thru your played games but your list is almost as long as mine lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 02:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If you never Tried the First Remnant: From the Ashes... You might like it especially if you have coop partner.  (not split screen i dont think)   2nd one is out soon as well. (But these are also challenging)

Yeah, I tried Remnant and had fun at first, but something turned me off to the game and I don't recall what it was.

(07-20-2023, 02:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I tried looking thru your played games but your list is almost as long as mine lol.

Oh, I know. My kids dropped their jaws when I showed them how many games I own digitally. lol
Reply/Quote
*smacks Philhos*

Acknowledge me demmit!
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 05:45 PM)Stewy Wrote: *smacks Philhos*

Acknowledge me demmit!

I ended up buying Evil West instead of Hogwarts Legacy.

*runs away like a little ******

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 09:54 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I ended up buying Evil West instead of Hogwarts Legacy.

Mellow

hahahaha
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 09:54 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I ended up buying Evil West instead of Hogwarts Legacy.

Mellow

Let us know how it is  its on my Radar.      Just been waiting for a deep discount
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 10:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Let us know how it is  its on my Radar.      Just been waiting for a deep discount

Will do, but be warned, it's going to be awhile till I get to it. I don't like to play more than 1 game at a time. I'm currently working my way through Diablo IV (just finished Act 2 over the weekend). Next up after that is Resident Evil 4 Remake and THEN I plan on playing Evil West. Also have Sifu that I also bought but that'll probably be after Evil West.
Reply/Quote