Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vigil Video Interviews...
I watched the post draft presser announcing/interviewing Vigil and Boyd and the post practice interviews. I think that with the new players this is the only way to get to know them, their personalities, etc. And a lot can be gleamed from them when it comes to maturity and attitude.

Boyd has been a lot less SELF HYPE than he seemed in some of his comments, and THAT was relieving.

But, Vigil has blown me away in these short little snippets with just his matter-of-factness, maturity, and calmness. I've watched these post draft rookie interviews and follow ups for years and he seems, without question, to be the most pro ready attitude and demeanor wise I have ever seen from a rookie in these videos. This dude is as pro ready attitude as it gets.

If you haven't seen the Vigil interviews yet, I would watch them on a Bengals.com

Really excited to have a man on the team who used to have a street named after him. Only the street name bad to change because nobody crosses Nick Vigil & lives.

Has anyone else watched these and what's your take?
Reply/Quote
It's possible you're reading too much into those little videos. I'm pretty sure it's quickly made clear that until they get on the field and make the great plays to win games they're still just rookies, nothing more, nothing less. Shooting off as rookies during pressers is a quick way to get on the fan sh#t list not to mention the coaches sh#t list.. I doubt many want to earn that dubious reputation..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 01:11 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's possible you're reading too much into those little videos. I'm pretty sure it's quickly made clear that until they get on the field and make the great plays to win games they're still just rookies, nothing more, nothing less. Shooting off as rookies during pressers is a quick way to get on the fan sh#t list not to mention the coaches sh#t list.. I doubt many want to earn that dubious reputation..

What the hell are you talking about? If you haven't or don't want to watch the videos or don't care about them, no worries.

Also, even if they make plays to win the Superbowl, they will still be rookies until the season is over.

I'm 100% sure they don't give a flying F about fans watching those videos or any fan shit list. But these are the first interviews with the players and I would think the most honest glimpse of them we'll get.
Reply/Quote
Thanks I will go watch
Reply/Quote
I think the most encouraging thing is the amount of positive reports coming from Marvin and his staff.   The scariest thing after a draft are those care conferences that where no one is saying too much about the rookies.  

The last linebackers I recall the coaching staff raving about were Burfict (2012),   Pollack &Thurman (2005) and Spikes & Simmons (1998) -   four, eleven and 18 years ago.

So it is very encouraging the amount of praise that is being heaped on Vigil, Jackson, Boyd, Core and Billings.  They're even saying a few nice things about Westerman and Fejedelem.

The interviews are also nice.  But the rave reviews have me pretty excited.   There's a chance Vigil will be in the mix to replace Burfict at Will during his suspension.
Reply/Quote
There's a portion of this game that is physical. There are players who are just physically gifted, but that's rarely enough to make them great players. They also need other parts of the game, which are intellectual and emotional.

Vigil has been described as running our defense like he's been our Mike for the past 5 years. That's the mental part of it. He's got that, and it's awesome.

What you're picking up on, I think, from the interviews is more the emotional intelligence or emotional maturity that gives him the aura of a real professional.

He's loaded with these last two traits, and he has the quickness and speed to convince me that he has some of the physical tools. Some might see him as lacking the size and strength needed to be successful in the NFL. But he's just an inch shorter and 4 lbs heavier than a guy he's been compared to – Luke Kuechly.

Duke Tobin and our coaches grabbed this guy before Billings for a reason. Even though Billings was a player at a position of higher need (IMHO). I can't wait to see him play.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Vigil needs to bring back his rat tail, otherwise he can keep his rookie mouth shut.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2016, 01:06 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Vigil needs to bring back his rat tail, otherwise he can keep his rookie mouth shut.

Nick Vigil is right behind you my man.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Thought he sounded very intelligent and poised no question.

The coaches were really high on Vigil and it looks like for good reason.

He has lots of rare qualities in a young LB.
Reply/Quote