Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Virginia/New Jersey Governor races
(11-08-2021, 09:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: We're not talking about a legitimate theft. We're talking about some Democrat with the prominence of Trump telling millions that Trump's win was a stolen election.

... and the millions believing and acting on the lie, as in storming the Capitol, and preparing to challenge elections and throw them to state legislatures.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 05:14 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL and no I phones.  That's why we don't have video of Dems storming the capital, and no record of Gore refusing to concede and vowing to run again, while Dems vow to primary Congressmen who don't agree the election was stolen. 

I was unaware that Gore convinced 50 million Dems an election was stolen. Apparently so was Gallup.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/2296/public-opinion-election-2000-stalemate-summary.aspx

By Nov. 19, 2000, the vast majority of Dems were willing to accept Bush as legitimate. 
How do the majority of Repubs view Biden 10 months into his first year?

I'm wondering if maybe there aren't some essential differences between these cases
--differences which mean we ought to be be paying very close attention to the Trump case right now.

You should probably jump up a couple months.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 07:34 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: They are a big deal, but most folks on here aren't paying attention to them. Obviously, as a Virginian, I've been heavily invested in the races here. I'm not shocked by the outcomes for us. Despite so many of the liberals in my area, as well as the media, trying to say Virginia is a blue state, it has been and will remain purple. The Dems tried hard to paint Youngkin with the Trump brush, but that didn't stick very well. Youngkin isn't someone who has spent a ton of time in politics, so he doesn't really have a policy background that they could point to that would really portray him as a Trump-style individual.

Meanwhile, McAuliffe was just a terrible idea and many of us were saying as much from the start. That, combined with him really stepping in it during the debates and a poorly run campaign (IMHO), spelled his doom. There isn't a ton of tolerance right now for the political elite in the Commonwealth, and McAuliffe is a member of that group. And then there is the whole Biden factor, which hurts all Democrats running but especially those with a strong tie to the establishment.

This is also just what you all do

What is it, in like 11 of the last 12 election, you all have elected someone of the opposite part of who just won the presidency? Wasn't McAuliffe the only one to break the trend in 2013?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Terry McAuliffe was doing great in the polls until he told Virginia parents their children belong to the state and told parents to shut their pie holes about their childrens’ education.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 07:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Terry McAuliffe was doing great in the polls until he told Virginia parents their children belong to the state and told parents to shut their pie holes about their childrens’ education.

People love tossing their kids onto the state for stuff like education, but if you call them out on it suddenly they get all "I'm in charge here!" on the situation.  
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 07:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Terry McAuliffe was doing great in the polls until he told Virginia parents their children belong to the state and told parents to shut their pie holes about their childrens’ education.

I wouldn't say he was doing great in the polls. That race was close well before those comments. It was riding the margin-of-error in most polls for a long time, the comments just caused it to flip more in Youngkin's favor. Considering this was a state that Biden won by 10 points and there was only one poll, a Fox News poll on October 14, that put him ahead by that much, this race was always a tough one.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

That's what I heard him say--"Your children belong to the state."  

Or wait. Maybe that was how Hannity put it.

Anyway, that sure threw fire on anti-CRT movement. Parents opened their pie holes to rid schools of what wasn't there. 

NO ONE could stop them!  

And perhaps that wedged off enough voters in Loudon, Fairfax etc. to cost McAuliffe the election. 

VA is in good hands now. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 11:56 PM)Dill Wrote: That's what I heard him say--"Your children belong to the state."  

Or wait. Maybe that was how Hannity put it.

Anyway, that sure threw fire on anti-CRT movement. Parents opened their pie holes to rid schools of what wasn't there. 

NO ONE could stop them!  

And perhaps that wedged off enough voters in Loudon, Fairfax etc. to cost McAuliffe the election. 

VA is in good hands now. 

You have to respect the anti CRT people since they led the kids by example by not educating themselves on CRT first. 
Reply/Quote
https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/11/03/fact-check-is-critical-race-theory-taught-in-virginia-schools/
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 10:03 AM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/11/03/fact-check-is-critical-race-theory-taught-in-virginia-schools/

And? Can you explain to me what is wrong with utilizing CRT when developing a curriculum?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 10:03 AM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/11/03/fact-check-is-critical-race-theory-taught-in-virginia-schools/

So this article contains some documents circulated among educators proposing CRT as one perspective, among others, for addressing
problems in the VA school system. 

It does not establish that CRT is "taught" in VA schools, only that some administrators are trying to keep up with advancing knowledge in their field. E.g., one piece of "evidence" is a proposal addressing school discipline, how to better understand and deal with racial disparities in punishment. The stated goal of the superintendent's memo is to "facilitate dialogue." It recommends a book for educators to read. 

The reference to Christofer Rufo is instructive here. He is the Fox contributor who almost single handedly elevated CRT into a movement against "cultural marxism." (See my post below.)

Also, I don't see a source for this definition: 

Critical race theory holds that race is the prism through which all aspects of American life should be analyzed, categorizing individuals into groups of either oppressors or victims of oppression.
Reply/Quote
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-inquiry/how-a-conservative-activist-invented-the-conflict-over-critical-race-theory

As Rufo eventually came to see it, conservatives engaged in the culture war had been fighting against the same progressive racial ideology since late in the Obama years, without ever being able to describe it effectively. “We’ve needed new language for these issues,” Rufo told me, when I first wrote to him, late in May. “ ‘Political correctness’ is a dated term and, more importantly, doesn’t apply anymore. It’s not that elites are enforcing a set of manners and cultural limits, they’re seeking to reengineer the foundation of human psychology and social institutions through the new politics of race, It’s much more invasive than mere ‘correctness,’ which is a mechanism of social control, but not the heart of what’s happening. The other frames are wrong, too: ‘cancel culture’ is a vacuous term and doesn’t translate into a political program; ‘woke’ is a good epithet, but it’s too broad, too terminal, too easily brushed aside. ‘Critical race theory’ is the perfect villain,” Rufo wrote.

He thought that the phrase was a better description of what conservatives were opposing, but it also seemed like a promising political weapon. “Its connotations are all negative to most middle-class Americans, including racial minorities, who see the world as ‘creative’ rather than ‘critical,’ ‘individual’ rather than ‘racial,’ ‘practical’ rather than ‘theoretical.’ Strung together, the phrase ‘critical race theory’ connotes hostile, academic, divisive, race-obsessed, poisonous, elitist, anti-American.” Most perfect of all, Rufo continued, critical race theory is not “an externally applied pejorative.” Instead, “it’s the label the critical race theorists chose themselves.”

The next morning, Rufo was home with his wife and two sons when he got a phone call from a 202 area code. The man on the other end, Rufo recalled, said, “ ‘Chris, this is Mark Meadows, chief of staff, reaching out on behalf of the President. He saw your segment on ‘Tucker’ last night, and he’s instructed me to take action.” Soon after, Rufo flew to Washington, D.C., to assist in drafting an executive order, issued by the White House in late September, that limited how contractors providing federal diversity seminars could talk about race. “This entire movement came from nothing,” Rufo wrote to me recently, as the conservative campaign against critical race theory consumed Twitter each morning and Fox News each night. But the truth is more specific than that. Really, it came from him.
Reply/Quote
From the last paragraph in the above article byBenjamin Wallace-Wells, which also includes a phone interview with Kimberly Krenshaw:

The rebranding was, in some ways, an excuse for politicians to stage the same old fights over race within different institutions and on new terrain. At my lunch with Rufo, I’d asked what he hoped this movement might achieve. He mentioned two objectives, the first of which was “to politicize the bureaucracy.” Rufo said that the bureaucracy had been dominated by liberals, and he thought that the debates over critical race theory offered a way for conservatives to “take some of these essentially corrupted state agencies and then contest them, and then create rival power centers within them.” I thought of the bills that Rufo had helped draft, which restricted how social-studies teachers could describe current events to millions of public-school children, and the open letter a Kansas Republican legislator had sent to the leaders of public universities in the state, demanding to know which faculty members were teaching critical race theory. Mission accomplished.

Am I the only one who finds it fascinating how quickly this is turning into control of curriculum from outside the school by non-educators from one political party? Get a list of those college professors for the new McCarthyites!

In her interview in this article, Krenshaw situates this current conflict in the larger, longer term project of reaction to progressive race politics, cyclical and generational.  

YoW I just realized--she is viewing this phenomenon through the lens of CRT! Busted!!
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 01:15 PM)Dill Wrote: Am I the only one who finds it fascinating how quickly this is turning into control of curriculum from outside the school by non-educators from one political party? Get a list of those college professors for the new McCarthyites!

Nope. We even had people from a different county come to our city's school board meeting (so not even the county in which our city sits) to complain about curriculum and library books in the high school. All of them were spouting the talking points provided by the Koch funded astro-turf propaganda against CRT. It's ridiculous. It's just yet another boogeyman that is being used to raise fear among segments of the population which gathers the base.

Reply/Quote