Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia ending reciprocity for concealed carry with 25 states
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html?tid=ss_fb

Quote:RICHMOND — Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) plans to announce Tuesday that Virginia will no longer recognize concealed carry handgun permits from 25 states that have reciprocity agreements with the commonwealth.

The State Police superintendent accepted Herring’s recommendation to sever agreements with those states, effective Feb. 1, according to Herring’s office.

The states are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Agreements will remain with West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

So at least when I am stomping through the bear country in WV I can still carry, but I'm a little irritated about the effect this has on me going to PA. I already have to pack my firearms a particular way because I have a brief passing through Maryland and their laws are stiff, but other than that I was good.

Anyway, there is a lot of uproar over this, but in all honesty I don't have too much of a problem with it. It may not even impact me much if PA will still recognize my license, which may be the case. But I don't have a problem with my state not accepting permits from states with more lax firearms laws than ours, which are pretty lax themselves.
I have to applaud his massive effort.
Clapping

It sure must have been extremely difficult to recommend anything, with all that Obama in his mouth.
Ninja
(12-22-2015, 01:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I have to applaud his massive effort.
Clapping

It sure must have been extremely difficult to recommend anything, with all that Obama in his mouth.
Ninja

I don't think my opinion will be a popular one among some of the people I know, but the fact you can get a concealed carry permit without ever having handled a firearm or reviewing the laws regarding self-defense in the commonwealth means that it is very easy to get a permit here. If it's that easy here, what does that say about other places?
(12-22-2015, 01:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't think my opinion will be a popular one among some of the people I know, but the fact you can get a concealed carry permit without ever having handled a firearm or reviewing the laws regarding self-defense in the commonwealth means that it is very easy to get a permit here. If it's that easy here, what does that say about other places?

I will agree, that's silly.
We have to take an NRA handgun class and qualify in our accuracy with the pistol.  
Sounds like VA better clean up their act before reneging on Ohio.
(12-22-2015, 01:49 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I will agree, that's silly.
We have to take an NRA handgun class and qualify in our accuracy with the pistol.  
Sounds like VA better clean up their act before reneging on Ohio.

In Virginia, any safety course will do. There are folks that have courses designed for concealed carry and they are great, but a hunter education certificate will do as well. The firearm safety there amounts to "don't point your firearm at things you shouldn't and make sure of your target and what is beyond." Good advice, but hardly comprehensive. Both that, and some concealed carry courses, can be done online.
(12-22-2015, 01:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: In Virginia, any safety course will do. There are folks that have courses designed for concealed carry and they are great, but a hunter education certificate will do as well. The firearm safety there amounts to "don't point your firearm at things you shouldn't and make sure of your target and what is beyond." Good advice, but hardly comprehensive. Both that, and some concealed carry courses, can be done online.

Wow !

We even spent 2+ hours on the ability to be aware of your surroundings,  conflict avoidance,  and procedures to facilitate escaping a hostile situation. 

There was even a extensive portion devoted to the legal ramifications of discharging your weapon in a defense situation. 
So, in a fun update to this, there is a state legislator entering a constitutional carry law into the agenda for the upcoming session of the General Assembly. This means that concealed carry would no longer require a permit. If you can purchase a firearm, you can carry it concealed.

Honestly, given the lack of training needed to get one here it wouldn't make much of a difference. All it would do it eliminate the fingerprint records and a tiny source of revenue.
(01-05-2016, 11:56 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, in a fun update to this, there is a state legislator entering a constitutional carry law into the agenda for the upcoming session of the General Assembly. This means that concealed carry would no longer require a permit. If you can purchase a firearm, you can carry it concealed.

Honestly, given the lack of training needed to get one here it wouldn't make much of a difference. All it would do it eliminate the fingerprint records and a tiny source of revenue.

Honestly I don't see why we need a license for concealed carry anyway . The real issue is the general population lacks any knowledge of gun safety or even how to use one. I still believe that gun safety and handling should be taught in the public schools. Make the basics class required to graduate and offer electives that go further.