Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First "Retaliation" from Iran for ban
The Associated Press (@AP) February 3, 2017

When President Donald Trump signed an executive order limiting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries that included Iran, the Iranian government stated it would be taking "proportionate legal action" and "reciprocal measures" toward the United States. The brunt of Iran's response is being felt in the wrestling community after the country banned American wrestlers on Friday from competing in the 2017 Freestyle World Cup in Kermanshah, Iran, on February 16-17.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi said a special committee reviewed the case and, "Eventually the visit by the U.S. freestyle wrestling team was opposed." Ghasemi said the policy of the new U.S. administration left Iran no other choice but to ban the wrestlers. This comes after USA Wrestling announced Monday a team was still planning to travel to Iran for the World Cup.

It is unfortunate this is happening as these guys train very hard and to be barred from competing in the biggest event of the year it is sad.
While it really sucks for the wrestlers I have to laugh if this is the best they can do.
Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about Iran? They're right there with North Korea. Shitty little countries who are just hyper-aggressive, yet people seem to tolerate a whole lot more shit from them than a normal country.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(02-03-2017, 03:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about Iran? They're right there with North Korea. Shitty little countries who are just hyper-aggressive, yet people seem to tolerate a whole lot more shit from them than a normal country.

iran isnt really a small country though
People suck
I'm sure this has the Iron Shiek very confused:

[Image: th?id=OIP.DPvHndlYDnWC7yhzlB8nMQEsDI&pid...=270&h=181]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-03-2017, 03:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about Iran? They're right there with North Korea. Shitty little countries who are just hyper-aggressive, yet people seem to tolerate a whole lot more shit from them than a normal country.

Iran is a much more credible threat than North Korea can dream to be.
(02-03-2017, 03:50 PM)Griever Wrote: iran isnt really a small country though

18th population is admittedly higher than I thought they were.. 27th economy is probably closer to what I imagined.

It just seems like people take a lot more shit from Iran than they would from a larger country. It's strange. Even more so considering Iran has stated it's desire to wipe countries out of existence.

(02-03-2017, 04:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Iran is a much more credible threat than North Korea can dream to be.

Ehhhhh... North Korea has a nuclear missile program. They might not reach the US, but they don't really need to.

(02-03-2017, 04:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 18th population is admittedly higher than I thought they were.. 27th economy is probably closer to what I imagined.

It just seems like people take a lot more shit from Iran than they would from a larger country. It's strange. Even more so considering Iran has stated it's desire to wipe countries out of existence.

I would think they have a right to be a bit salty with us since we have politicians fighting over which one of them wants to bomb Iran the most.

"Vote for me, I'll bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran!"

"No, vote for me, I'll turn Iran into a parking lot!"

"If you vote for me we will find out if sand glows in the dark after it's been bombed a billion times!"

And so on.  
(02-03-2017, 05:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I would think they have a right to be a bit salty with us since we have politicians fighting over which one of them wants to bomb Iran the most.

"Vote for me, I'll bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran!"

"No, vote for me, I'll turn Iran into a parking lot!"

"If you vote for me we will find out if sand glows in the dark after it's been bombed a billion times!"

And so on.  

True, but I am pretty sure most of that has arisen from Iran making no qualms about wanting to wipe Israel off the map.

Iran wants to nuke Israel --> US wants to bomb Iran --> Israel wants to destroy the US --> US politicians campaign on keeping Iran in check/not letting them get nukes.

..is at least the way I thought it was.

(02-03-2017, 05:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: True, but I am pretty sure most of that has arisen from Iran making no qualms about wanting to wipe Israel off the map.

Iran wants to nuke Israel --> US wants to bomb Iran --> Israel wants to destroy the US --> US politicians campaign on keeping Iran in check/not letting them get nukes.

..is at least the way I thought it was.

The root of hostility between the US and Iran goes back to '53, when we helped depose a democratically elected leader who threatened British control of Iranian oil. We installed a dictatorial Shah who secret police killed and tortured thousands with US backing, creating a mass of opposition to the US. When he fled the massive anti-Shah and US demonstrations (the result of his and our policies), and the banned Ayatollah Khomeini returned, newly formed Revolutionary Guards took over the US Embassy.

I am not aware that Iran wants to "Nuke Israel"; So far as I know, they would like the current government of Israel to be dismantled.  And they have willingly given up a nuclear program, unlike N Korea.

I see a vast difference between Iran and N Korea. For one thing, Iran has a large number, perhaps a majority, of people who would like a more liberal gov. and would like Iran to be part of the world economy. Under Obama, our foreign policy goal was to punish the conservatives there, prevent their getting a nuke, but also to empower the "liberals" and moderates by rewarding their policy influence, whenever they had it. The idea in part is to make sure the population benefits from integration into the world economy and suffers when not. That produces internal pressure to put moderates in power and keep them there.

Nothing like this is possible with North Korea, which is hermetically sealed from the rest of the world, with a population under the most extensive mind control which has ever existed in a modern state, and a paranoid leader, who learned the lesson of Iraq for developing countries.

One of my worries about Trump/Flynn is that they will wade into the foreign policy arena now to "show strength" instead of "weakness"--with the result that moderates within Iran lose the power the were gradually gaining.

One consequence could be that Iran, with 150 billion fresh dollars, could back out of the Nuke treaty and just start rebuilding their bomb program.  Were that to occur, they might have a bomb in less than a year.
(02-04-2017, 06:29 PM)Dill Wrote: The root of hostility between the US and Iran goes back to '53, when we helped depose a democratically elected leader who threatened British control of Iranian oil. We installed a dictatorial Shah who secret police killed and tortured thousands with US backing, creating a mass of opposition to the US. When he fled the massive anti-Shah and US demonstrations (the result of his and our policies), and the banned Ayatollah Khomeini returned, newly formed Revolutionary Guards took over the US Embassy.

This.

The USA kind of had it's phallus deep in Iran's backside.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(02-07-2017, 02:30 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: This.

The USA kind of had it's phallus deep in Iran's backside.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Yeah, messing around with another country's leadership hasn't really worked out so well for the US for the last 70 years (Japan/Germany being the last ones I can point out as a decidedly positive change). Makes you wonder why they keep insisting on continuing to do so.