Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vols having one of craziest seasons ever.
UT is 5-0 but they have had to overcome double digit deficits in 4 of their 5 wins.

-Trailed Appalachian State by 10 in the third quarter.  Forced overtime (13-13) just because Appy State kicker missed missed an XP and a 42 yard FG.  Won in overtime when UT's QB fumbled, but it was recovered in the end zone for a TD.

-Trailed Virginia Tech by 14 and came back to win big thanks to the Hoakies losing a ridiculous 5 fumbles.

-Struggled to beat 4 TD underdog Ohio University.  Tennessee lead by just 2 points (21-19) in the fourth quarter.

-Trailed Florida by 21 and came back to win.

-Trailed Georgia by 17 and came back to win.  UT's last two TDs were a fumble recovery by their defense with 3 minutes left and a 45 yard Hail Mary with no time left.

So I can see how it is easy for some people to say that the Vols have been more lucky than good.  And I really can't disagree with that.  When you look deeper than just the won-loss record the Vols have not played like I anticipated from a team returning 17 starters from a 9 win team that dog whipped a top 20 ranked Northwestern team 45-6 in the Outback Bowl last year.  Tennessee's offense is ranked #88 (of 129) in the nation and the defense is #43.

But on the other hand you have to give UT credit for finding ways to win these games.  Their defense has been missing their best LB (Reeves-Maybin) and an All-American CB (Cam Sutton). for the last two wins over Florida and Georgia.  Also their 5 opponents are 16-3 against the rest of the nation with 2 of those losses coming to top 25 teams and the third loss being a 3 overtime thriller.  Florida has only allowed 2 TD and 2 FG in 4 games against other teams but Tennessee scorched them for 38 points and 498 yards.  Virginia Tech has outscored their other three opponents 139-30.

I have watched all of their games except Ohio, and here is my take.  When they play up to their talent they could beat anyone.  When they got rolling both their offense and defense dominated Florida and VT.  But the problem is that they do not play up to their talent enough of the time.  

Their next to games are at #8 Texas A&M, and home against #1 Alabama.  After that they have an off date and 4 games they should win pretty easily.  Don't be surprised if they upset A&M or Bama, but also don't be surprised to see them lose both of those games and then another one they should win later in the season.

One final point.  The Vols biggest weakness is their running game.  They have an NFL quality RB in Jalen Hurd, but he never has any holes to run through.  It is like deja vu when I watch the Bengals on Sunday after the Vols on Saturday.
Reply/Quote
BTW last year UT only lost 4 games. Here is a recap of those losses

led Oklahoma by 17 in the first quarter and lost.
led Florida by 13 in the fourth quarter and lost.
led Arkansas by 14 in the first quarter and lost.
led Alabama by one in the fourth quarter and lost.

So maybe this year is just a karmic make-up call.
Reply/Quote