Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volson 4th highest compensation by NFL performance-based pay
Cordell Volson was compensated an extra $905,972 by NFL, making him the 4th highest being compensated by the NFL's performance-based pay distribution. I haven't seen how much Browning will be compensated.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39853674/49ers-brock-purdy-banks-739k-nfl-performance-based-pay
Reply/Quote
It’s so great they do this for the players
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 04:29 PM)Nepa Wrote: Cordell Volson was compensated an extra $905,972 by NFL, making him the 4th highest being compensated by the NFL's performance-based pay distribution.  I haven't seen how much Browning will be compensated.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39853674/49ers-brock-purdy-banks-739k-nfl-performance-based-pay

How can that be?  According to PFF and at least half of the JN regulars, Volson sucks...  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 04:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How can that be?  According to PFF and at least half of the JN regulars, Volson sucks...  Ninja

It is based on snaps, no quality of play I think. 

So like a creature from some horror flick, he just kept showing up...
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 04:49 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: It is based on snaps, no quality of play I think. 

So like a creature from some horror flick, he just kept showing up...

That's correct.  Volson could give up 20 sacks and still get a big check from the NFL as long as the coaches keep sending him out there bumping up his snap count.

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-announces-top-25-performance-incentive-bonuses/
Reply/Quote
Performance-based pay top 25 based on their PFF scores last year:

DaRon Bland, Dallas 90.4
Brock Purdy, SF 88.4
Quinn Meinerz, Denver 83.7
Tony Adams, NY Jets 79.0
Reed Blankenship, Philly 73.4
Camryn Bynum, Minnesota 73.2
Deommodore Lenoir, SF 72.5
Trey Smith, Kansas City 72.2
Nate Landman, Atlanta 72.0
Brandon Stephens, Baltimore 69.2
Spencer Brown, Buffalo 68.1
Jason Pinnock, NY Giants 67.7
Tariq Woolen, Seattle 67.1
Jonathon Cooper, Denver 65.2
Kader Kohou, Miami 64.5
Terrel Bernard, Buffalo 64.0
Will Fries, Indianapolis 61.2
Cordell Volson, Cincy 58.3
Rodney Thomas, Indianapolis 58.2
John Simpson, Baltimore 56.5
O'Cyrus Torrence, Buffalo 56.0
Jamaree Salyer, Jacksonville 54.2
Dan Moore, Poopsburgh Stoolers 51.7
Luke Fortner, Jacksonville 44.3
Ben Bredeson, NY Giants 42.1

Seems to be more about quantity than quality. If anything, one could argue it’s more a reminder (or an indictment?) of how they play him that much than something to be proud of. But I'm sure he'll take it. "Performance-based pay" sounds good. (* Edit: I shouldn't rip him too much. A lot of their scores are pretty brutal. Glad these dudes get an extra paycheck.)
Reply/Quote
Volson does stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 07:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Volson does stay healthy.

His key to staying healthy is minimal contact with pass rushers.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 04:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How can that be?  According to PFF and at least half of the JN regulars, Volson sucks...  Ninja

...and yet those with NOTHING to back up their stance think Volson doesn't. 

All this does is support the assertion that Volson is Pollack's love child and he refuses to explore other options. Nothing to assert he's "good". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 07:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It is performance based, according to the title.

"The program compensates players based on their playing time and salary levels with the intent to give additional money to players who performed beyond their contracts."

So it is based on performance I suppose. Just not "how' they performed; simply that they "did" perform.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 07:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...and yet those with NOTHING to back up their stance think Volson doesn't. 

All this does is support the assertion that Volson is Pollack's love child and he refuses to explore other options. Nothing to assert he's "good". 

Volson is our worse OL, but as far as a 4th round pick going into his 3rd year he doesn't suck.

He has flashes of great play at times, so there is hope for the guy. Volson played great in the 49ers game last year against Arik 
Armstead, he had some great blocks on a bunch of screens, namely the Chase Brown one that went to the house. Volson is our 
most athletic OL. As much as I dislike what Pollack has done, Volson still has a chance to be good if he gets more consistent.

Now would I take an upgrade at LG? Hell yeah I would and rather have Volson as decent depth.
Reply/Quote
Here is the top 25 list of performance bonuses.

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-announces-top-25-performance-incentive-bonuses/

I do not see a full list, so I can't see whether Jake Browning received a significant bonus. I have been assuming he would get a bump, given his low salary and seeing so much action. At least, I was hoping he would get a boost from the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 07:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: His key to staying healthy is minimal contact with pass rushers.

Hilarious   I got a good laugh out of that one.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 07:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Volson is our worse OL, but as far as a 4th round pick going into his 3rd year he doesn't suck.

He has flashes of great play at times, so there is hope for the guy. Volson played great in the 49ers game last year against Arik 
Armstead, he had some great blocks on a bunch of screens, namely the Chase Brown one that went to the house. Volson is our 
most athletic OL. As much as I dislike what Pollack has done, Volson still has a chance to be good if he gets more consistent.

Now would I take an upgrade at LG? Hell yeah I would and rather have Volson as decent depth.

That's your opinion. To date, he has performed as or near the worst starting LG in the NFL. 

I'm sure he's a great kid, works hard, and I'm rooting for him. But none of that will change my opinion (analytical data) that says he sucks. 

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 08:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That's your opinion. To date, he has performed as or near the worst starting LG in the NFL. 

I'm sure he's a great kid, works hard, and I'm rooting for him. But none of that will change my opinion (analytical data) that says he sucks. 

You also ignore the part about my post that was all true, I highly doubt you are rooting for him.

I saw PFF grades mid to late season last year where he was very good, same with Karras.
Reply/Quote
I got a Perfect Attendance ribbon in middle school.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
It's interesting that they call it performance-based pay but then have this statement explaining exactly what it is:

Quote:The program compensates players based on their playing time and salary levels with the intent to give additional money to players who performed beyond their contracts.

That's not based on performance.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The board went over this last year as well mostly related to Volson.   He was the second most compensated for the 2022 season

This bonus was put into the CBA in 2002 to reward players that had a significant amount of snaps compared to what they were being paid.  The language is a bit misleading but in this case "performance" is based on the definition of carry out an action and not the quality of the action performed.  So it is based on playing time vs. what they are getting paid.  The player performed an action, played X amount of snaps.

I suppose to avoid confusion they could rename it to the, "Played a lot but wasn't paid much bonus"  Tongue

Here is more information on the program for those interested in it:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/2023-Performance-Based-Pay-Distributions-Announced.aspx

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 10:34 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The board went over this last year as well mostly related to Volson.   He was the second most compensated for the 2022 season

This bonus was put into the CBA in 2002 to reward players that had a significant amount of snaps compared to what they were being paid.  The language is a bit misleading but in this case "performance" is based on the definition of carry out an action and not the quality of the action performed.  So it is based on playing time vs. what they are getting paid.  The player performed and action, played X amount of snaps.

I suppose to avoid confusion they could rename it to the, "Played a lot but wasn't paid much bonus"  Tongue

Here is more information on the program for those interested in it:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/2023-Performance-Based-Pay-Distributions-Announced.aspx

This link, like others I've seen, only lists the top 25 distributions. It would see that Jake Browning fits into the definition of having a significant amount of snaps (as a starting QB) compared to what being paid. But I have not seen anything about what compensation he has received, if any. I hope that he was among those compensated. Otherwise, the Bengals should have given him a bump in pay just to be fair to him. I've seen the Chiefs do that for some of their players that overperformed their contracts.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 11:13 AM)Nepa Wrote: This link, like others I've seen, only lists the top 25 distributions. It would see that Jake Browning fits into the definition of having a significant amount of snaps (as a starting QB) compared to what being paid. But I have not seen anything about what compensation he has received, if any. I hope that he was among those compensated. Otherwise, the Bengals should have given him a bump in pay just to be fair to him. I've seen the Chiefs do that for some of their players that overperformed their contracts.

I've also not been able to find a full list of players that received bonuses.   Maybe one of those NFL secrets.  Big Grin

What I can see from the list is Brock Purdy was number 24 with a $739,795 bonus.  Purdy's base salary for 2023 was $985,000 but he started all season.  Browning's base salary was $750,000.   But Browning only played in 9 games starting 7.   The link I provided from NFL communications states that $393.8 million was paid out this year in the "performance" based bonuses.  So I think it is likely that Browning did receive a bonus but no idea how much.   NFL provides some formula on the page I linked for how it is sorted out.  I'm too damn tired (plus too stupid) to try to figure it out myself though.  Maybe someone good at math can sort it out.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote