Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volson to RT? Hear me out...
(02-25-2023, 10:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: PFF has it as 883 total snaps, with 323 pass blocking and 560 run blocking.  Not sure which is right?  

The numbers I quoted were from the NDSU page, accumulative team stats for 2021 season.  257 passes attempted in 15 games.  I'm not suggesting that PFF is purposely passing off incorrect numbers, but I trust the team for posting their own info, and recognize the opportunity for error at PFF with the huge volume of info that they process and present.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 12:49 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I would be curious to see where you feel Jackson Carman fits in? I personally feel he is meant to play on the edge in space and from the small sample we got in the playoffs I believe he could be a legit long term RT. Given the situation he was thrown into I felt he showed very well at LT. I know he played LT at the collegiate level but I saw him as an NFL RT since his senior season. 

The guy I have high hopes for was D'Ante Smith. I really felt he had a core skillset that could be developed into a high quality OT at the NFL level.

I feel Carman's only hope is on the outside, personally.
I was counting him with Williams and Collins.
I feel the only spot available is Adeniji's (unless Collins is let go).

As for D'Ante Smith, what has he shown that gives any level of confidence?
We knew he was coming in undersized, and he's still undersized (weighed in at 294 lbs last year).
He's been in the league 2 years. He should have been able to build up the necessary bulk by now.
So personally, I feel he's expendable.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2023, 11:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is based on some scouts projections.  He never had a problem with it in college at RT.  He consistently graded in the mid 80s to mid 90s in both run blocking and pass blocking.  We have never seen him attempt RT in the NFL.  RT generally deals more with the big rushers, and not speed anyways.  Watt is the exception to that and he destroyed everyone we put on him last year.  

The Bengals put Volson at LG because they had a need there with Carman struggling.  Entirely new position for him, and he was solid after a shaky start.  Now the Bengals have a huge need at RT and I want either a veteran or someone like Volson over a rookie at the end of round 1.  Can't afford another Oguehi.  

The best way to avoid another Ogbeuhi is to actually draft a guy that's healthy and has played at a high level.  There are a few guys that have done so at RT during their college years.  Draft the best RT prospect, not some guy that is a LT and will have to switch sides.
Reply/Quote