Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Von Bell Signing Deserves More Love on Here
I know almost all of us have applauded this year's haul free agency. Obviously Reader is the gem of the group, as he should be with what ponied up for him. I've also seen a lot of talk about Waynes contract, and whether or not we overpaid, and how he fits. But I really haven't seen much discussion specifically about Vonn Bell. I'd put the talk surrounding him equal to or less than Mackenzie Alexander and XSF. So I figured why not shine a spotlight on this deal.

For me personally, this may be the best signing of the class just from a value perspective. Here's why I believe that:

-Bell is only 25. So just like these other guys he's in the prime of his career.

-Of all of these signings, no other player has been on a team that has won more. The Saints went 44-16 in his 4 years and advanced to the NFC Championship just like the Vikings did. He was on 2 13-3 teams, and made the playoffs 3 out 4 years.

-He was the #1 rated in SS in run defense according to PFF in 2019. He's been very good in the run game his entire career.

-He recovered a whopping 5 fumbles in 2019, along with forcing 2 himself.

-He's a playaker. He's got 7 forced fumbles on his career, he's got 7 recoveries, and he's taken one back to the house.

-He's spent some time in the Nickleback position as a 3rd CB. While his coverage skills may not be the best, the fact he's been moved around a bit shows some versatility.

-Draft position. To be drafted where he was as SS coming out of college shows he has the physical tools needed for the position.

-Contract. Not a lot of money per season (6 mil), nor a lot of years (3). Elite level safetys are making well over 10 mil, some as high 14. For us to pay at or slightly below market value for an average starter seems like low risk/high reward.

I'll wrap it up here shortly, as I think I've pretty much covered it all as far as positives. These are the types of signings I've been calling for for awhile now. Younger guys on managable salaries. No more AJ Hawk's or Karlos Dansbys. No more trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. We identified a huge weakness (run defense) and we helped solve by bringing in one of the best SS in the league against the run. And we didn't go cheap, but we didn't break the bank either.

This is my favorite signing. :andy:
Reply/Quote
Call me old fasioned, but I really like teams that are "strong up the middle."

In baseball, this is catcher, SS/2B, CF. In soccer, GK, CB, CM, CF. In basketball, PG & C.

Football is not a perfect parallel, but on defense, it would be NT/DT, MLB, and safety. We did a lot to bolster the spine of the defense this year. Of that group of five, three are new guys: Reader, Bynes, and Bell. Joining Geno & Bates.

Reader, Atkins, Bynes, Bell, Bates is a pretty good spine. If those 5 hold up (S. Williams and L. Wilson may play some spine too), then things get easier for Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, Pratt, ADG, and the CBs.

I am higher on Bynes than most. I'd rate he and Bell above Waynes, Alexander, & XSF in terms of the FAs. Reader being the gem, obviously.
Reply/Quote
The fact that Vonn Bell signing with the Bengals
And sincerely wanting to change the cultire
Here is not lost.
It wasnt about trying to haul in a ton of money
He signed for all the right reasons
Reply/Quote
I think you haven’t seen much talk about the Bell signing because everybody liked it and threads tend to only last when there’s a lot of disagreement and debate.
Reply/Quote
He is a great run defender bad pass defender. Not really a bad signing but not a great signing either. He seems like a good scheme fit though as an in box safety so I would be surprised if the signing didn't work out.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I absolutely love the signing, but perhaps why it didn't get as much play around here is that the position group was not that bad last year. Bates and Williams were solid at worst and Wilson showed promise.

Positions such as LB, OL, and CB were garbage and anyone coming in would be hailed as a savior.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have said all along that Bell and Reader were the best signings.

But as much as I like Bell I still think Williams will still be a part of the defense.
Reply/Quote
Loved the Vonn Bell signing myself. He is a great run stopper which is what we needed, an in the box Safety. But like J24
said he is not the best in pass coverage. We are pretty stacked at Safety at this moment. I didn't like losing Fej but Bell is a
definite upgrade on running downs over all our Safeties.
Reply/Quote
GREAT signing and an OSU product as well. Is an excelle.................whoops, I mean he sucks cause he disappears in major games. He truely is a BAD signing! Right Nicoma? Wink

Reply/Quote
I feel like Bell was our second best signing behind Reader. I know he only signed a 3 year deal, but I see him being here for a lot longer. Definitely going to be a serious pillar in the community.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 01:09 AM)RASCAL Wrote: GREAT signing and an OSU product as well. Is an excelle.................whoops, I mean he sucks cause he disappears in major games. He truely is a BAD signing! Right Nicoma? Wink

FFS man, LET IT GO!

I’ve stated I don’t have anything against OSU players (it’s mostly just their obnoxious fans). Sam Hubbard is one of my current favorite Bengals. And I love the Bell signing.

Reply/Quote
He certainly checks a lot of boxes.  He seems to be gritty, a sure tackler, clutch, makes splash plays, is aware of the sticks, and is a swiss army knife type of player.  It'll be interesting to see how this defense all comes together.  
Reply/Quote
Bell was a great signing ! We've been one of the worst D's against the run over the last 3 seasons. One of the bigger reasons why has been our horrendous tackling.

You have to start with the basics and we were awful at the basics.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 12:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I know almost all of us have applauded this year's haul free agency.  Obviously Reader is the gem of the group, as he should be with what ponied up for him.  I've also seen a lot of talk about Waynes contract, and whether or not we overpaid, and how he fits.  But I really haven't seen much discussion specifically about Vonn Bell.  I'd put the talk surrounding him equal to or less than Mackenzie Alexander and XSF.  So I figured why not shine a spotlight on this deal.

For me personally, this may be the best signing of the class just from a value perspective.  Here's why I believe that:

-Bell is only 25.  So just like these other guys he's in the prime of his career.

-Of all of these signings, no other player has been on a team that has won more.  The Saints went 44-16 in his 4 years and advanced to the NFC Championship just like the Vikings did.  He was on 2 13-3 teams, and made the playoffs 3 out 4 years.

-He was the #1 rated in SS in run defense according to PFF in 2019.  He's been very good in the run game his entire career.

-He recovered a whopping 5 fumbles in 2019, along with forcing 2 himself.

-He's a playaker.  He's got 7 forced fumbles on his career, he's got 7 recoveries, and he's taken one back to the house.

-He's spent some time in the Nickleback position as a 3rd CB.  While his coverage skills may not be the best, the fact he's been moved around a bit shows some versatility.

-Draft position. To be drafted where he was as SS coming out of college shows he has the physical tools needed for the position.

-Contract.  Not a lot of money per season (6 mil), nor a lot of years (3).  Elite level safetys are making well over 10 mil, some as high 14.  For us to pay at or slightly below market value for an average starter seems like low risk/high reward.

I'll wrap it up here shortly, as I think I've pretty much covered it all as far as positives.  These are the types of signings I've been calling for for awhile now.  Younger guys on managable salaries.  No more AJ Hawk's or Karlos Dansbys. No more trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  We identified a huge weakness (run defense) and we helped solve by bringing in one of the best SS in the league against the run.  And we didn't go cheap, but we didn't break the bank either.

This is my favorite signing.  :andy:

Good Stuff, Wes.

I can't say he is my fav signing over Reader, as I have documented this defense's struggles after they lost Peko in the middle.  Now, an even better version is in the middle to make the entire defense better.  

However, there are (as you well described) many reasons to be happy about the Bell acquisition.  This guy also has an attitude.  He plays with emotion.  And I have heard it said that tackling isn't just a skill, but a mindset.  Once a few guys are making solid tackles, you hope it becomes contagious.  

I also really like the fact that he has solid TFL and QB hit numbers.  I can't remember many occasions where I saw a Cincy Safety do that.  

The great thing about the defense is the improvements at all three levels:

Reader at NT
Bynes, Wilson, ADG, and Bailey at LB
Bell at Safety
Alexander at slot CB
Waynes at outside CB

That is a hell of an overhaul (yes, it needed it) and I think the top talent returning (Dunlap, Atkins, Hubbard, Bates, and WJIII....and maybe Darius Phillips?) will love those additions and create a synergistic improvement to the entire defense.  
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2020, 02:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The fact that Vonn Bell signing with the Bengals
And sincerely wanting to change the cultire
Here is not lost.
It wasnt about trying to haul in a ton of money
He signed for all the right reasons

This is true in more than one respect.  I can't think of many times where a FA was signed to UPGRADE an existing position instead of simply filling a gap where they already had a decent player.  Shawn Williams is serviceable.  For many years, a guy like that wasn't going to be forced to compete for anything.  No longer.  
Reply/Quote
Vonn Bell was a great signing for the AFC North that includes Lamar Jackson, Mark Ingram, Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, James Conner, and Jaylen Samuels.

They really attacked the run defense with their Free Agency and I'm really looking forward to seeing how Captain Lou uses Vonn Bell, Jessie Bates, and Shawn Williams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good Stuff, Wes.

I can't say he is my fav signing over Reader, as I have documented this defense's struggles after they lost Peko in the middle.  Now, an even better version is in the middle to make the entire defense better.  

However, there are (as you well described) many reasons to be happy about the Bell acquisition.  This guy also has an attitude.  He plays with emotion.  And I have heard it said that tackling isn't just a skill, but a mindset.  Once a few guys are making solid tackles, you hope it becomes contagious.  

I also really like the fact that he has solid TFL and QB hit numbers.  I can't remember many occasions where I saw a Cincy Safety do that.  

The great thing about the defense is the improvements at all three levels:

Reader at NT
Bell at Safety
Alexander at slot CB
Waynes at outside CB

That is a hell of an overhaul (yes, it needed it) and I think the top talent returning (Dunlap, Atkins, Hubbard, Bates, and WJIII....and maybe Darius Phillips?) will love those additions and create a synergistic improvement to the entire defense.  

Great post SHRacer. That is one hell of an overhaul. Want to see sound tackling become infectious around here. The players we 
moved on from really lost the fundamentals of tackling, all the guys we brought in LOVE to tackle and wear it as a badge of honor
in their play. Good tackling Defenses can change games and save wins, bad tackling Defenses lose games.

(06-18-2020, 11:37 AM)Synric Wrote: Vonn Bell was a great signing for the AFC North that includes Lamar Jackson, Mark Ingram, Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, James Conner, and Jaylen Samuels.

They really attacked the run defense with their Free Agency and I'm really looking forward to seeing how Captain Lou uses Vonn Bell, Jessie Bates, and Shawn Williams.

Very true, all the guys we brought in seem to fit our Division. I don't think we will be the pushover anymore like we were the last 
few years. Lou brought in his guys on Defense and they are proven, Taylor brought in his guys on Offense. But I truly believe since
Lou got the proven vets the Defense will come around faster and be legit.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 01:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post SHRacer. That is one hell of an overhaul. Want to see sound tackling become infectious around here. The players we 
moved on from really lost the fundamentals of tackling, all the guys we brought in LOVE to tackle and wear it as a badge of honor
in their play. Good tackling Defenses can change games and save wins, bad tackling Defenses lose games.

Very true, all the guys we brought in seem to fit our Division. I don't think we will be the pushover anymore like we were the last 
few years. Lou brought in his guys on Defense and they are proven, Taylor brought in his guys on Offense. But I truly believe since
Lou got the proven vets the Defense will come around faster and be legit.

Yep

The bulk of NFL games are decided on 3,4,5 plays. 3 what should have been 4 yard runs that turn into 12, 15, 20 runs and a TD can be all it takes. This team has also been awful getting off the field on 3rd down. Getting off the field even 1 or 2 more times a game makes a giant difference.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 09:22 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bell was a great signing ! We've been one of the worst D's against the run over the last 3 seasons. One of the bigger reasons why has been our horrendous tackling.

You have to start with the basics and we were awful at the basics.

Exactly. It's been frustrating as hell to watch teams be able to run so effectively against our D over the past few years. I love the focus they put on bringing in guys who can tackle and play the run well. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Reader at NT
Bell at Safety
Alexander at slot CB
Waynes at outside CB

How could you forget about Jermaine Pratt?  His development was noteworthy, in the midst of an otherwise terrible defensive season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote