Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze Burfict
(03-18-2019, 08:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Y'all are crazy. Defensive coaches are NOT avoiding this place because of Burfict, when he's on, he's one of the best linebackers in the league. There's no word on him being let go yet because they are not letting him go..... Hilarious

This....^^^ why does everyone want to get rid of our best defensive player.
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping for a return to form for Vontaze... Just blind faith, but he's one of my favorite players. Antics aside, I always liked watching him wreck shop.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Why can't we blame his issues on the coaching staff we let go? Don't we want to see if the new system resurrects his career, as well?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 07:57 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. I’ve thought about this quite a bit. He’s very smart and a leader. Well, except leading by example. He does have that dark side. But think he would/could be a decent if not good coach.

Plus, without trying to sound too much like a shrink, I worry about his mental health and his life after football.  I think if he is able to stay close to the game and have something to work for he has a much better chance for a good life.  Sure, he has done some bone-headed things, but we all know those things are not penalties if you are wearing black and gold.  He has made some amazing plays as well.  I just hope for the best for him, long term.  

The autopsy of Chris Henry revealed a lot of lesions around his brain, which were deemed to be from multiple concussions.  They attributed some of his behavioral issues to that I guess.  I hope Burfict doesn't fall the same fate as slim.  
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 10:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: This....^^^ why does everyone want to get rid of our best defensive player.

We have 2, maybe 3 guys on defense that are better than Burfict.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
OK, just went to the posts and took closer looks, I thought I knew the roided guy's face; Dontay Moch has become an absolute monster:

[Image: Bu6-GTTBV-K]

EDIT* Not Sure if the pic will show up.
Reply/Quote
With a 38 million dollar contract he's only been fined a paltry 347 thousand.. Seems like a lot, but subtract it from 38 million he still takes home over 37 1/2 million bucks.. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's kind of like fining a multi billionaire the price of a piece of penny candy for outright murder.. 
Most of us when fined go through financial hardships.. He's not having financial hardships from any of this. 
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but to me fines really should be based on a person's actual income. In other words, what would be a million dollar fine to me and you should be 10 million to someone making 10 times what the rest of us make instead of saying, "We want your belly button lint for the season!" 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 11:03 AM)grampahol Wrote: With a 38 million dollar contract he's only been fined a paltry 347 thousand.. Seems like a lot, but subtract it from 38 million he still takes home over 37 1/2 million bucks.. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's kind of like fining a multi billionaire the price of a piece of penny candy for outright murder.. 
Most of us when fined go through financial hardships.. He's not having financial hardships from any of this. 
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but to me fines really should be based on a person's actual income. In other words, what would be a million dollar fine to me and you should be 10 million to someone making 10 times what the rest of us make instead of saying, "We want your belly button lint for the season!" 

You also have to factor in the game checks he did not receive while being suspended. Add those in, and it's in the millions....
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 10:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: This....^^^ why does everyone want to get rid of our best defensive player.

Because he did not play well last year and it is impossible for him to stay healthy for a full season.

They guy has only been able to play 43 of the Bengals last 80 games and at least 6 of those 43 games he was on the sidelines with an injury at the end of the game.

Burfict was one of the few elite players we have had here recently, but he has had way too many concussions.  Plus he does not play that well anymore.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 11:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You also have to factor in the game checks he did not receive while being suspended. Add those in, and it's in the millions....

I did some really squirrely math counting his contractual salary prorated back to when he played his first game (which isn't even close to accurate by the way) and his total missed games, 37 of a possible 112.. He missed out on an extremely inaccurate 12 1/2 million. Being he didn't sign that big contract till the 17 season I'm gonna assume that 12 1/2 million isn't even close and even if it was I could probably live with 25 million bucks. It would be tough, but I might be able eek out an existence.. 
Just for the record I really suck at math.. Shocking, huh? 

Every now and then I get in the mindset that says any player being paid upward of 38 million bucks should have almost no excuse for not playing without breaking both legs, every spinal bone and extreme brain injuries.. Yeah, I know.. You wanna protect them and wrap em in bubble wrap, but still..... Nervous

All this aside, is there any kind of definitive data that says he can't have another great season before he's completely done? If there is I don't see it.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
He is bad in coverage. I just want to keep reminding people he has been atrocious for two years covering anything. We had the worst LB group in the league by far last year in pass coverage. If we run the same group out there again we will again be one of the worst groups in pass coverage.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 10:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: OK, just went to the posts and took closer looks, I thought I knew the roided guy's face; Dontay Moch has become an absolute monster:

Yep, he has a PED suspension under his belt too lol.
Reply/Quote
The question we have to ask ourselves (and hopefully the Bengals are) is is it worth keeping Burfict and his 7m cap hit in hopes he is healthy. Just to lose him after the first two games.

Or use that 7m on a player (Zach Brown etc) who has a better chance of contributing.

The problem is they have no intent on using that 7m on a free agent that would help free up the draft and fix a position of need. And that is why there is no urgency with the Burfict decision. They likely aren't thinking of extra cap space, or what they could do with the savings they would get by cutting Burfict.

If he's healthy, they should try to trade him. But they suck at the trade game. Browns would have gotten a significant return for him. They know how to rebuild, this team isn't sure what it's doing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 11:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yep, he has a PED suspension under his belt too lol.

Indeed lol
Reply/Quote

I hope this was sarcasm and you forgot to tell us.

Do you think Burfict looked like our best defensive player in 2018?

Better than Geno?
Better the Dunlap?

I think he looked slow, out of shape and dizzy anytime he hit someone or tried to make a tackle in 2018. he was a huge liability on the field, but then we had no back up who was better so we went down hill when he was off the field.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 11:30 AM)jj22 Wrote:  Browns would have gotten a significant return for him. They know how to rebuild, this team isn't sure what it's doing.

You have to be kidding.

About all the Browns have done recently is trade their former first round picks for middle to late round picks.  That is the opposite of "rebuilding".
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 10:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: OK, just went to the posts and took closer looks, I thought I knew the roided guy's face; Dontay Moch has become an absolute monster:

Here's a video from a couple days ago:

Reply/Quote
He looks in good shape.

The issues with him, outside of will he show up in shape are:

1 ) He's 1 questionable hit away from a season long suspension.
2 ) Concussions
3 ) Knee injuries

Just doesn't seem worth it. Plus, his play declined.

That said, we do need to replace him before we get rid of him.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 11:30 AM)jj22 Wrote: The question we have to ask ourselves (and hopefully the Bengals are) is is it worth keeping Burfict and his 7m cap hit in hopes he is healthy. Just to lose him after the first two games.

Or use that 7m on a player (Zach Brown etc) who has a better chance of contributing.

The problem is they have no intent on using that 7m on a free agent that would help free up the draft and fix a position of need. And that is why there is no urgency with the Burfict decision. They likely aren't thinking of extra cap space, or what they could do with the savings they would get by cutting Burfict.

If he's healthy, they should try to trade him. But they suck at the trade game. Browns would have gotten a significant return for him. They know how to rebuild, this team isn't sure what it's doing.

The Browns were the team that drafted guys in the 1st Round and traded them for like 4th and 5th Round picks a year or two later. Corey Coleman is one example. There are others. Justin Gilbert comes to mind.

I love how everyone thinks Cleveland is the model franchise because after 15 years of being horrible they have a good roster finally.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 12:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's a video from a couple days ago:

Yup, that's the one.

Absolute monster lol
Reply/Quote