Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze Burfict Makes Cincinnati's Defense Great Again
With Vontaze Burfict back on the field, the Bengals' defense reaches a whole new level. He had every player in the right position, called the defensive packages with outstanding results, and he was a physical presence. Even without several starters, the Cincinnati defense basically shut the Dolphins down in a display of total domination and my observation is the players respond to him positively. It seems to me Vontaze is the catalyst which makes the Bengals' defense play with more energy and, yes, play smarter too. I can't wait to see how the defense game plans and executes against Dallas.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No doubt you can tell the difference. Granted it was against a horrid opponent. We have our general back
Reply/Quote
Probably the worst offense we'll play all year but the front 7 held up for the most part regardless.
Reply/Quote
I agree. His presence alone will make this defense much better. Love the "general" tag. He seems to take charge out there and players respond to him.

Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
His football IQ is simply at a different level. He reads the offense so quickly. And more importantly his strength at defending the run allows our DBs do what they do best

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 07:40 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: With Vontaze Burfict back on the field, the Bengals' defense reaches a whole new level. He had every player in the right position, called the defensive packages with outstanding results, and he was a physical presence. Even without several starters, the Cincinnati defense basically shut the Dolphins down in a display of total domination and my observation is the players respond to him positively. It seems to me Vontaze is the catalyst which makes the Bengals' defense play with more energy and, yes, play smarter too. I can't wait to see how the defense game plans and executes against Dallas.

It is night and day with Burfict out there. He will be the greatest Bengals linebacker of all time.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I agree. I always thought it was funny when people acted like he wasn't our best defensive player... He makes the defense what it is. Without him we are only above average. With him we are elite.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:31 AM)treee Wrote: Probably the worst offense we'll play all year but the front 7 held up for the most part regardless.

Yep, I agree.  However, there's no denying that the unit looks much more in sync and high energy when 55 is on the field.  Very glad to have him back.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 07:40 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: With Vontaze Burfict back on the field, the Bengals' defense reaches a whole new level.  He had every player in the right position, called the defensive packages with outstanding results, and he was a physical presence.  Even without several starters, the Cincinnati defense basically shut the Dolphins down in a display of total domination and my observation is the players respond to him positively.  It seems to me Vontaze is the catalyst which makes the Bengals' defense play with more energy and, yes, play smarter too.  I can't wait to see how the defense game plans and executes against Dallas.

I hope it holds to be true for the remainder because, right now, I see the defense as the only possible shot in the dark to be playing after New Year's Day.
Reply/Quote
He plays such disciplined football and stays home. He doesn't over pursue and he allows malaluga to play a little more care free knowing Burfict will clean it up. he didn't make a whole slew of tackles yesterday but boy was he around the ball, and almost always in position (minus a few tackles in 4th quarter junk time on Landry)

Secondly, in the first half they kept dumping off to lead and ajaya when the DL got close. Not sure if anyone noticed he started picking that up in the second half and tannehill had no where to go, allowing the DL to continuously get to him.

He has some of the highest football IQ I have seen in a long time. He sees the game different and knows what's going to happen before it does. Not all that different than lebrons vision on a basketball court.
Reply/Quote
He is a genius when it comes to defensive fronts and how to attack offensive lines. I never realized until last night, but the D-line is league better with him commanding them.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 09:51 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I hope it holds to be true for the remainder because, right now, I see the defense as the only possible shot in the dark to be playing after New Year's Day.

The offense will come around.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:50 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I agree. I always thought it was funny when people acted like he wasn't our best defensive player... He makes the defense what it is. Without him we are only above average. With him we are elite.

I just hate depending on one guy.  I also don't remember the defense playing so poorly when he's been hurt and not playing in the past.  Maybe the difference was that he was able to have zero contact with the team.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 10:51 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I just hate depending on one guy.  I also don't remember the defense playing so poorly when he's been hurt and not playing in the past.  Maybe the difference was that he was able to have zero contact with the team.  

Nail on the head Bonnie.  When he was out the other times, he was still on the sidelines connected and encouraging!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 07:40 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: With Vontaze Burfict back on the field, the Bengals' defense reaches a whole new level.  He had every player in the right position, called the defensive packages with outstanding results, and he was a physical presence.  Even without several starters, the Cincinnati defense basically shut the Dolphins down in a display of total domination and my observation is the players respond to him positively.  It seems to me Vontaze is the catalyst which makes the Bengals' defense play with more energy and, yes, play smarter too.  I can't wait to see how the defense game plans and executes against Dallas.

Dre was out, but that was it.

(09-30-2016, 10:51 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I just hate depending on one guy.  I also don't remember the defense playing so poorly when he's been hurt and not playing in the past.  Maybe the difference was that he was able to have zero contact with the team.  

You can't take lightly the impact of having an intelligent player in the meeting and film rooms, even if he is not able to take the field.
Reply/Quote
What's great about it is, last night was a perfect "knock the rust off" game for him.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:50 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I agree. I always thought it was funny when people acted like he wasn't our best defensive player... He makes the defense what it is. Without him we are only above average. With him we are elite.

I agree with you about him elevating the play of the defense, but still think Atkins is the best player on that side of the ball (I would put Burfict and Dunlap as 2a and 2b).  I think his energy is contagious and his ability to call the defense is what makes the difference.  Geno is not much of a talker and does not get the buys fired up like Burfict.

I did not want to start a new thread about this, but anyone else worried about Sean Williams?  He seems to look completely lost multiple times per game.
Reply/Quote