Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze Burfict's uncertain future
Mounting concussions scary aspect of Vontaze Burfict's uncertain future - Paul Dehner, Jr

For the third consecutive December, Vontaze Burfict suffered a concussion and is forced to the sideline as the Bengals play out the string of a sideways season.

The concussion Burfict suffered on Dec. 2 against Denver was the sixth of the controversial linebacker’s career.

Injuries can be random and unpreventable at times, but it’s hard not to spot the trend of three years in a row and what should be a mounting concern over it.

In 2016, Burfict suffered a concussion on Dec. 18 against Pittsburgh and missed the final two weeks.

In 2017, Burfict suffered a concussion on Dec. 4, also against Pittsburgh via a hit from JuJu Smith-Schuster. He did return three weeks later against Detroit but hurt his shoulder to end his season.

He’ll now miss his second consecutive game with a concussion this weekend against Oakland. He didn’t travel to Los Angeles last week. While other players with concussions have worked their way back on the practice fields like Tony McRae and Michael Johnson – both questionable for Sunday -- Burfict is yet to make an appearance out there during a practice as a non-participant in every session since.

It brings up the scary aspect of mounting brain injuries.

“It’s got to be personal with the player,” Marvin Lewis said. “The thing with concussions, it works through the doctors and medical staff and they have to handle it in their protocol. They’ve taken it out of the hands of the coach, which is good. It is where it is right now, it’s not going to go backward.”

Burfict, 28, has played seven NFL seasons and sustained a concussion in five of the last six, including back-to-back weeks at the beginning of 2014. Back then, when asked by Enquirer columnist Paul Daugherty if he’s concerned for Burfict as a person, Lewis pointed out his history with concussions and how things are different with the focus on the issue.

“I coached defenses and linebackers for a long time and concussions didn't linger,” Lewis said then. “Now we have found that because of the media and things they seem to linger longer. There's a lot of attention paid to it. I don't know why they linger longer. I don't remember them lingering like they do now."

He admitted Friday he tries to stay away from wading into those waters, specifically in a question about Burfict.

“I don’t comment on concussions because I played a lot of football and had a lot of concussions and never had one last, so I don’t know,” Lewis said. “I don’t understand. But that’s just my opinion.”

With uncertainty across the organization entering another offseason of potential change in reaction to this disappointing year, Burfict’s future in Cincinnati is a talking point. The 6-foot-1, 255-pound former undrafted free agent saw his play on the field endure a significant dip in production and league philosophy is sprinting away from 250-plus pound linebackers.

Pro Football Focus logged Burfict with 18 made tackles, 12 assisted and 12 missed this season. His career numbers show the stark drop off. 

[*]Year: Total tackles // missed tackles

[*]2012: 114 // 7
[*]2013: 156 // 9
[*]2014: 27 // 5
[*]2015: 72 // 7
[*]2016: 99 // 13
[*]2017: 69 // 8
[*]2018: 30 // 12

Those factors make the suspensions, fines, injuries, penalties and distractions tougher to justify. Burfict is signed through the 2020 season. Letting him go this offseason would apply a hit of $1.8 million in dead money, but save $6.8 million overall against the salary cap.
Reply/Quote
I think, his drop off in play has a lot to do with the multiple concussions. There has been a serious drop off in reaction time and quick movements that just being out of shape can't account for alone. Its like suddenly he is not even seeing the plays develop. From a player who used to be the defensive play-caller this is not normal. He always behaved stupidly when caught up in a game but he was in the right spot and got his teammates in the right spot. That hasn't happened this year.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I do not see this club moving forward without moving on from Burfict. (almost have the same feeling about Eifert). Haven't enough seasons been sidetracked by players like this, who repeatedly fail to provide expected results? This is one of the ways the Bengals piss away their chances by banking on 'potential', and watch it go down the drain. Enjoyed the good games by him, and now find the bad no longer outweighs the good.

Get healthy, Vontaze. And move on to coaching. Now please.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
He is done. Not sure if done with being a Bengal or not, but as far as being the impact played he used to be? He is done. He is just a body on the field for 1st and 2nd down. He was a steal as an UDFA, but should have not gotten that deal. Too many negatives have caught up to him. Was great, when he was great.
Reply/Quote
Prime Tez was an impact player capable of taking over a game.

Current Tez is a shell who struggles to even stay in a game.
Reply/Quote
Good Post
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals will continue the trend from the last offseason where they let go underperforming vets or players that offer little value to the team and let go of Burfict.

Unfortunately, if the Bengals do release Burfict, people will celebrate as if Bin Laden was killed again. But he was a great player to watch from his rookie year to 2016 and even parts of 2017. It's a shame how the playoff game went down, but a few other factors contributed as well. I think his long-term health is more important than trying to play in a league that unfairly targets him every single game.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 01:29 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I do not see this club moving forward without moving on from Burfict. (almost have the same feeling about Eifert). Haven't enough seasons been sidetracked by players like this, who repeatedly fail to provide expected results? This is one of the ways the Bengals piss away their chances by banking on 'potential', and watch it go down the drain. Enjoyed the good games by him, and now find the bad no longer outweighs the good.

Get healthy, Vontaze. And move on to coaching. Now please.

And MJ and others

But yes this team has to cut bait with these marginal vets that just can't play a full season. I wish Burfict well in whatever's next but it's time for him to go. And I strongly feel he knows it as well.
Reply/Quote
Concussions are more of a media(and fans) concern then a player concern. They would rather get the money. Also we're forgetting that he came in to camp out of shape and lost is best friend Guenther in the off season. Those two reasons play a huge role in his demise. I honestly think he needs a change of scenery and he will be back to the old Vontaze. Unfortunately it won't be here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
For every football player they eventually have to decide between keep playing and risk quality of life in their 40s, 50s and beyond.

The decision arrives a little quicker for some positions like linebacker and tight end. If I'm Burfict, Eidert, Gronk, etc, I would seriously consider hanging them up before the next catastrophic injury.
Reply/Quote
I’ve been constantly flamed the past two years for wanting to part ways with him. Now people are starting to see reality.

Cannot wait to move on from him.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 08:22 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I’ve been constantly blamed the past two years for wanting to part ways with him. Now people are starting to see reality.

You were not seeing something others weren’t. His play was still good until this season.

If you wanted him gone because of suspensions or injuries, that’s one thing, but people (and the team) still valued him when he was on the field because he was playing well.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 08:22 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I’ve been constantly blamed the past two years for wanting to part ways with him. Now people are starting to see reality.

(12-16-2018, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You were not seeing something others weren’t. His play was still good until this season.

If you wanted him gone because of suspensions or injuries, that’s one thing, but people (and the team) still valued him when he was on the field because he was playing well.

I've been saying this as well.  Pat5775 isn't alone and I'm sure were not the only ones.
Reply/Quote
Get him to begin interning as asst LBs coach or something. As soon as Haslett retires, let Tez take over. But do NOT let him keep playing.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 08:39 PM)motoarch Wrote: I've been saying this as well.  Pat5775 isn't alone and I'm sure were not the only ones.

Yeah, there was probably like 3 or 4 of you...

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 08:47 PM)Shady Wrote: Get him to begin interning as asst LBs coach or something. As soon as Haslett retires, let Tez take over. But do NOT let him keep playing.

I definitely think he has a future in coaching. Hopefully for us.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You were not seeing something others weren’t. His play was still good until this season.

People were telling me he was “the heart and soul of the defense” and that his presence was crucial to the success of the defense, despite the fact that he seldom played.

Burfict has been unreliable, be it due to injuries or suspensions. I saw no benefit in hanging our hat on a guy like that. He was overrated by fans IMO. Our defense didn’t live and die with Burfict like many believe. He wasn’t worth the baggage.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 08:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, there was probably like 3 or 4 of you...

That’s accurate. But we weren’t wrong
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 09:01 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: People were telling me he was “the heart and soul of the defense” and that his presence was crucial to the success of the defense, despite the fact that he seldom played.

Burfict has been unreliable, be it due to injuries or suspensions. I saw no benefit in hanging our hat on a guy like that. He was overrated by fans IMO. Our defense didn’t live and die with Burfict like many believe. He wasn’t worth the baggage.

People believed that because the stats backed it up. And the heart and soul stuff, general of the defense, etc, mostly came from his coaches and teammates. Not fans.

But I guess you guys got your wish. Nick Vigil is now our best LB...

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 09:02 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That’s accurate. But we weren’t wrong

Yes you were.

Reply/Quote