Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze Burfict suspension: Here's the hit and why it's illegal under new NFL rule
Vontaze Burfict suspension: Here's the hit and why it's illegal under new NFL rule

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vontaze-burfict-suspension-heres-the-hit-and-why-its-illegal-under-new-nfl-rule/

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict once again finds himself on the wrong side of NFL discipline. The the oft-penalized defender is reportedly facing a five-game suspension for a hit on Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman during the second week of the preseason.

The reported Burfict suspension is drawing plenty of attention on Monday morning, with folks wondering whether he actually hit Sherman illegally.

In fact, it's a new NFL rule that's being used to penalize Burfict, one of the most penalized defenders in NFL history. This offseason, the NFL made it a rule that any running back or wide receiver or tight end running a receiving route would be considered in a defenseless position.

That is clearly the case with Sherman during the play in question.

Will Brinson

@WillBrinson

Don't think Vontaze Burfict hit is dirty in "traditional" sense but clearly a violation of new NFL rule making receivers defenseless.
9:19 AM - Aug 28, 2017

Here is the wording from Article 7, Section a, part 2 where the league lists players who qualify as defenseless: A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind. If the receiver becomes a blocker or assumes a blocking posture, he is no longer a defenseless player.

Sherman clearly meets the qualifications as someone who is running a pass route and Burfict pretty clearly approaches him from the side. Smith has already released the ball and Burfict (top right) isn't thinking about anything other than putting Sherman in the ground.

So you have a clear case of Sherman running a route and acting like a receiver and a pretty clear case of Burfict approaching from the side. Burfict could argue that he did not strike Sherman in the head or neck area, but it might be irrelevant given the wording of the NFL's rulebook.

There is no doubt that the contact was unnecessary. Smith had released the ball, Sherman was not catching the ball and Sherman was not going to be involved in the play. Also, it was the preseason Week 2. It was incredibly unnecessary.

Ten years ago this hit is perfectly legal and probably lands on "JACKED UP" this coming Monday. But in 2017, Burfict, who is such an aggressive defender that he was causing training camp fights with his own team less than a month ago, violated an NFL rule and initiated unnecessary contact on a defenseless receiver.

The five-game suspension is a bit stiff, but this is a repeat offender who has racked up roughly one million dollars in fines over the course of his career. The league is trying to send a message and make sure players follow the rules designed to keep other players safe.

Burfict clearly did not and now he is going to face punishment.

[Image: 1c6a51f4e132bd6640d7.jpg]
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If that's shoulder to chest is illegal.... Then football is already dead
Reply/Quote
QUOTE : " REPORTEDLY FACING A 5 GAME SUSPENSION ".....The key word, REPORTEDLY.

I know of the new rule changes and I know NFL Refs have a eye out for Burfict. Mostly though the new rule is that on these hits and any unsportsman like conduct refs are forced to kick those players out of the game per The NFL League Office. It also goes with a money penalty now that will hurt the wallets of even the high paid players.

Burfict suffered a concussion in preseason game 3. He has had many concussion, some keeping him out of many games. Doctors say the brain can only take so many concussions. Fans love the way he plays, but getting kicked out of games or not in games due to concussions is not as good as fans revel in. The concussions shows he slams his helmet into too many players. He use to launch into players with his helmet as a weapon before that was ruled illegal. Burfict comes out on the bad end of this with very serious concussions that have lasted weeks. They've tried to teach him the right way to tackle and for his health and welfare he needs to learn it, no matter what fans think.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 05:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If that's shoulder to chest is illegal....  Then football is already dead

Sherman clearly meets the qualifications as someone who is running a pass route and Burfict pretty clearly approaches him from the side. Smith has already released the ball and Burfict (top right) isn't thinking about anything other than putting Sherman in the ground. ThumbsUp

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 05:21 PM)kevin Wrote: QUOTE : " REPORTEDLY FACING A 5 GAME SUSPENSION ".....The key word, REPORTEDLY.

I know of the new rule changes and I know NFL Refs have a eye out for Burfict.  Mostly though the new rule is that on these hits and any unsportsman like conduct refs are forced to kick those players out of the game per The NFL League Office. It also goes with a money penalty now that will hurt the wallets of even the high paid players.

Burfict suffered a concussion in preseason game 3.   He has had many concussion, some keeping him out of many games.  Doctors say the brain can only take so many concussions.  Fans love the way he plays, but getting kicked out of games or not in games due to concussions is not as good as fans revel in. The concussions shows he slams his helmet into too many players. He use to launch into players with his helmet as a weapon before that was ruled illegal. Burfict comes out on the bad end of this with very serious concussions that have lasted weeks. They've tried to teach him the right way to tackle and for his health and welfare he needs to learn it, no matter what fans think.

Vontaze Burfict, LB, Cincinnati Bengals: Bengals coach Marvin Lewis brought back Burfict in 2016 despite the linebacker's repeated rules infractions that led to a three-game suspension to start last season. With Burfict facing a five-game suspension for an August 19 hit on Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman, the Bengals are left flat-footed. Perhaps the team should be used to this. If Burfict's suspension is upheld after appeal, he will have missed 27 of the Bengals' last 53 games because of suspension or injury. Lewis' reliance on Burfict as a team leader grows more mystifying each season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000836026/article/preseason-week-3-winners-and-losers-afc-contenders-take-hits

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 10:07 PM)Vambo Wrote: Sherman clearly meets the qualifications as someone who is running a pass route and Burfict pretty clearly approaches him from the side. Smith has already released the ball and Burfict (top right) isn't thinking about anything other than putting Sherman in the ground. ThumbsUp

The whole "approach" argument is fundamentally flawed.

Burfict came at Sherman at an angle yes but how was he supposed to come at him? Is he to run in an L? Run forward until he's he's exactly in front of Sherman then run in a straight line forward to hit him in the chest?

Now tell me this by this argument if a receiver is to run a short stick and turn his back completely do the defense according to this rule a defender cannot run toward said receiver. He would have to run around to the front and hit him.

This rule will competely eliminate bang bang plays.

Edit: Also keep in mind the angle at which Burfict came at Sherman is not why he's being suspended. He's being suspended for unnecessary roughness of which there are 3 variables. Launching, leading eith the crown of the helmet, and hitting a player in the neck or head area. None of which happened on that play.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:50 PM)Synric Wrote: The whole "approach" argument is fundamentally flawed.

Burfict came at Sherman at an angle yes but how was he supposed to come at him? Is he to run in an L? Run forward until he's he's exactly in front of Sherman then run in a straight line forward to hit him in the chest?

Now tell me this by this argument if a receiver is to run a short stick and turn his back completely do the defense according to this rule a defender cannot run toward said receiver. He would have to run around to the front and hit him.

This rule will competely eliminate bang bang plays.

Edit: Also keep in mind the angle at which Burfict came at Sherman is not why he's being suspended. He's being suspended for unnecessary roughness of which there are 3 variables. Launching, leading eith the crown of the helmet, and hitting a player in the neck or head area. None of which happened on that play.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 12:11 PM)Vambo Wrote:

So your counter argument about one specific play and a rule is a youtube video of former plays that aren't related to the incident in question...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I questioned the word " Reportedly Suspended "....we can now eliminate the word reportedly. Burfict is suspended. He can appeal. I think the NFL League Office has had enough of Mr Burfict and will make it stick. No harm in appealing it. Heck, I thought Pacman would get hit hard this season and only a one game suspension. They could reduce the suspension, you never know about NFL League Office. If it sticks Burfict out 5 games and out a ton of money yet again.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 12:33 PM)Synric Wrote: So your counter argument about one specific play and a rule is a youtube video of former plays that aren't related to the incident in question...

Repeat offender...he set himself up for this by being a DIRTY PLAYER.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 08:44 PM)Vambo Wrote: Repeat offender...he set himself up for this by being a DIRTY PLAYER.

Except that this play was neither dirty nor illegal...wasnt even flagged.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 08:44 PM)Vambo Wrote: Repeat offender...he set himself up for this by being a DIRTY PLAYER.

He will target only the knees in future games to eliminate any confusion on legality. So when he ends careers by massive legal knee blows, please no crying or whining.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 06:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He will target only the knees in future games to eliminate any confusion on legality. So when he ends careers by massive legal knee blows, please no crying or whining.

Here comes a Burfict rule!

Reply/Quote
Ironic to see a Brown's fan crying about Burfict in a week where they play the Steelers. Your'e about to meet "Dirty" Joe Haden who now has a license to chop, push, pull, hold, without fear of repercussion. Not to mention Harrison, Shazier, and the rest of the gang, who; every week commit one or two "Burfict" plays which are interpreted as great football plays by awesome players! The NFL even calls in the Steeler defense team to explain why what they do are just good aggressive football. Burfict's hit, while unnecessary; was not even flagged for a reason, it was a legal hit that pushed the limits just far enough for them to hit the "gotcha" button. Nevermind that over the years the great Steeler plays have taken out QB's, Defensive linemen, and yes; they can spear a RB right between the eyes, but it's OK. I see why some think Burfict is dirty, but you HAVE to be on the edge to compete with our illustrious division rivals. Until that changes, I personally condone and perhaps encourage all the "Burfict" football we can get away with.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 06:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He will target only the knees in future games to eliminate any confusion on legality. So when he ends careers by massive legal knee blows, please no crying or whining.

A player can tackle between the knees and chest and not end careers.  Happens all the time.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote