Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Votto on a tear
5 games in a row with a home run and 2 games in a row with multiple home runs. Where has he been? Someone mentioned he changed his stance at the plate and that is the difference. Too bad we get a good Votto near the end of his career.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
He has a swagger right now that I haven't seen from him in a few years. He's hunting and reacting instead of just reacting. Plus he's been a hell of a cheerleader pumping up his team mates. MLBtv has started letting Reds Live post game show onto their games and Tuesday, Votto talked a bit about his key foul ball catch-throw double play but really stressed how proud he was of his team mates' defensive play as of late.

The last few games, Winker seems like he went back to the start of the season when the team was still scarred from that pathetic playoff against Atlanta and were focused on hitting line drives. They fell away from that approach for awhile, it almost cost India his job, but they've been hitting much better lately. They seemed to go into team wide shock for about a week at the loss of Castellanos but they stepped up led by Votto, India and Farmer.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I was getting ready to do this same thread. I've been hard on Votto the last couple seasons as have many people. He's took a lot of criticism and much of it was deservedly so IMHO.

What exactly the problem was ? He seemed to not have a drop of aggressiveness in him, looking to walk no matter the situation.

Whatever switch in him flipped the other way and he looks like the Votto of few seasons back. Perhaps even more aggressive ? If these bullpen moves help and we get Castallenos back soon. I could see this team putting the challenge on the Brewers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've never been on the trade Votto bandwagon like many have. He's stuck with this team through thick and thin. He could very easily have signed a free agent contract elsewhere all those years ago and probably made a whole lot more money than he already has, but the guy is the cornerstone of the team for better or worse and more times than not it's been better. 
Anyone ever imagined him playing with the BRM? How about a 37 year old 1st basement belting out HRs in a WS chase? I could live with that..
He's been a joy to watch over the years and is still a joy to watch..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 01:38 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote:  Too bad we get a good Votto near the end of his career.

Pardon me, but.  .  .  

WHAT THE ****?!?

How is this a bad thing.
Reply/Quote
Votto has actually been on a tear since the second week of June

Last 43 games: 15HR... 40 RBI... .323 BA... .418 OB%... .665 SLG%... 1.082 OPS

He has raised his BA by 52 points (.216 to .278) His OB% by 63 points (.310 to .373) and his SLG% by 151 points (.405 to .556)
Reply/Quote
Another homer!!! 7 games in a row and 1 short of tying the MLB record!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
This is unreal.

Reply/Quote
Fun to watch
Reply/Quote
Still f-in’ bangs
Reply/Quote
[Image: k2ryrfppvpnmj9muywiw.png]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Off the top of the wall tonight and his streak ends at 7 games. Hope he still keeps hittin' them.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pardon me, but.  .  .  

WHAT THE ****?!?

How is this a bad thing.

I was just saying he is about to end his career with the Reds and now he gets good again. I wish he played this good every season.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
What are the chances Votto makes it to 400 home runs?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 12:28 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What are the chances Votto makes it to 400 home runs?

Oh I guess there's a chance but if I had to bet I'd go with no. 
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 02:10 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I was just saying he is about to end his career with the Reds and now he gets good again. I wish he played this good every season.

He basically has. 2019 is the only full season where he wasn't good. 2020 had a whole lot of players do way worse than their norm or way better since it was such a short season.

2019 and 2020 are the only two seasons in his career where Votto wasn't at least 24% above average offensively. In comparison, Jay Bruce only had 1 season in his career where he was at least 24% above average offensively and he was at 24% on the dot. Even in 2019, and 2020, he was still 1% and 14% above average offensively. He's never been below average. Ever.

Maybe because Votto's highs were so high (3 seasons where he was >70% above average) it felt like when he didn't reach them he was doing terribly, but even his "lows" have been very good baseball. In 2018, he was still 30% above average (and an All Star) despite hitting for almost no power that year.

- - - - -
I'll admit I am curious as to how many bombs prime Votto could have hit if he used this approach. He wouldn't have hit .320-.330 and had a .450+ OBP, but I am curious as to just how many he could have hit if he sold out for power in his prime.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 12:28 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What are the chances Votto makes it to 400 home runs?

Probably very slim, but I would love to see it happen so long as he can keep his career BA above .300 as that seems to be a big milestone for HoF voters. He's at .303 right now.

He reached 300 homers this year, and 1,000 RBI. Just 12 more hits and he's at 2,000 of those. That should probably seal his HoF bid. Voters love those nice big milestone numbers.

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2021, 02:10 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I was just saying he is about to end his career with the Reds and now he gets good again. I wish he played this good every season.

For almost a decade ('09-'17) Votto had the highest OPS in the major leagues.  His .980 (min 2500 AB) was better than Trout and Cabrera and everyone. He was first in OB%, 3rd in BA, and 5th in SLG%.  He won a Gold Glove and finished in the top 7 in MVP voting 6 of those nine years. 

No player in Reds history has been that dominate for that long of a period of time.
Reply/Quote
Votto was infamous for getting walks. Now, he is getting more hits again. I think that he maybe has gotten his confidence at the plate back instead of being defensive.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 02:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Probably very slim, but I would love to see it happen so long as he can keep his career BA above .300 as that seems to be a big milestone for HoF voters. He's at .303 right now.

He reached 300 homers this year, and 1,000 RBI. Just 12 more hits and he's at 2,000 of those. That should probably seal his HoF bid. Voters love those nice big milestone numbers.

I think he's in. The reason i asked the question was because of his current pace, he would only need to average like 23 home runs for the next 3 years for 400. 

There was a web page i found, that i forget the name of now, but it showed the averages for MLB hall of famers. Votto is right at or on pace to match or exceed pretty much all of them. I just think 400 homers would be icing on the cake.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote