Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Votto's career average
Has now dropped under .300 to .299.

It was .302 coming into the season, and with almost 7000 career at bats it is slow to move.  But hitting .184 through a third of a season will do it.  He has 755 ABs since 2019 and has only hit .242.

Votto only had 84 ABs his rookie season ('07), but over the next decade ('08-'17) Votto was a Hall-of-Fame level hitter.  His BA (.313) was third in MLB over that span just 6 points behind #1 Miguel Cabrera.  His On-base percentage (.429) was #1 by 19 points over Mike Trout.  His slugging percentage (.540) was #5.  His OPS (SLG% + OB%) of .970 was second just 6 points behind Trout.  His Wins Above Replacement (WAR) of 56.1 was second by just 0.1 behind Adrian Beltre (56.2).

Being that good for an entire decade should get him into the Hall of Fame, but his production has really fallen off.

I thought Votto would be the type of player who lost some power as he got older but kept his average up.  Now I don't see any way possible he could get his average back over .300 before he retires.
Reply/Quote
Yes Votto was good in his day but now is washed up. He still entertains me when he bats as I expect a hit. Reality is setting in though.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Yes and the longer he struggles the more it's gonna put a dent in his HOF chances, first ballot anyways.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He remains the F-bomb king though on either radio or tv you can hear him quite clearly.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 08:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes and the longer he struggles the more it's gonna put a dent in his HOF chances, first ballot anyways.

I'm curious if he'll really be a first ballot HoF'er. He reminds me of Todd Helton and Helton hasn't come close to getting in. Both players also were in player-friendly hitting parks, which voters seem to care about. Votto does put up good numbers that metrics-front office guys like so he has that advantage.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 01:19 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm curious if he'll really be a first ballot HoF'er. He reminds me of Todd Helton and Helton hasn't come close to getting in. Both players also were in player-friendly hitting parks, which voters seem to care about. Votto does put up good numbers that metrics-front office guys like so he has that advantage.

Votto is @ .198 now and we're over 1/3 thru the season. He's gonna have to crank it up pretty big to get to .250-.260 range by the end of season. And that's still gonna continue putting big dings in his career BA. He's never really been a true power hitter/RBI guy which is what 1Bmen are supposed to be.

I'd venture to say at this point his 1st ballot chances are in serious jeopardy,
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 01:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Votto is @ .198 now and we're over 1/3 thru the season. He's gonna have to crank it up pretty big to get to .250-.260 range by the end of season. And that's still gonna continue putting big dings in his career BA. He's never really been a true power hitter/RBI guy which is what 1Bmen are supposed to be.

I'd venture to say at this point his 1st ballot chances are in serious jeopardy,

No.  He is not a first ballot Hall-of-Famer.

Some will argue that he is not a Hall-of-Famer at all.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  He is not a first ballot Hall-of-Famer.

Some will argue that he is not a Hall-of-Famer at all.

I'd guess he's on the bubble right now for making it a few years down the road after he becomes eligible. But the longer he plays and continues to drag his average numbers down the less likely he's gonna make it at all, IMO.
Reply/Quote