Poll: Who was a better Bengal?
Jessie Bates
Reggie Nelson
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vs Series: Jessie Bates vs Reggie Nelson
Both had 5 full seasons as Bengals starters...

Nelson ('11-15, 77 starts):
407 tackles (278 solo)
21 TFL
16 QB Hits
5.5 Sacks
21 INT
55 Pdef
4 FF
1x Pro Bowl, 1x 2nd Team All-Pro

Bates ('18-'22, 79 starts):
479 tackles (327 solo)
6 TFL
2 QB Hits
0.0 Sacks
14 INT
43 Pdef
3 FF
0x Pro Bowl, 1x 2nd Team All-Pro

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Reggie but it is a close call for me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 02:53 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Reggie but it is a close call for me.

That sums up how i feel as well.
Tight one, but Reggie gets the nod.
Reply/Quote
1- they're two different types of player. Nelson was more like Polamalu and Bates was more Earl Thomas.

2.) Also Nelson played with in Prime Geno and thus always had a great pass rush to make his job easier.

Bates never had luxury of a great Pass rush in front of him and the defense was built around his ability to cover the deep pass.

With all things considered I'll go with Bates but it's more Apple and Oranges.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 09:54 AM)J24 Wrote: 1- they're two different types of player. Nelson was more like Polamalu and Bates was more Earl Thomas.

2.) Also Nelson played with in Prime Geno and thus always had a great pass rush to make his job easier.

Bates never had luxury of a great Pass rush in front of him and the defense was built around his ability to cover the deep pass.

With all things considered I'll go with Bates but it's more Apple and Oranges.

Huh? Trey Hendrickson was top 5 in sacks in 2021.

Reply/Quote
Can I write in David Fulcher and Tommy Casanova? I can remember more about them than I can about Reggie. That's my old man long term vs. short term memory.
Reply/Quote
Reggie. He had a presence.
Reply/Quote
Reggie, Reggie, Reggie!!!...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah it's Nelson for me as well. Helps that we got him in a trade for David "can tackle" Jones. I think Nelson was more of a play maker where Bates is more of a smart play within the defense type.
Reply/Quote
Have to go Reggie Nelson.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 12:57 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Both had 5 full seasons as Bengals starters...

Nelson ('11-15, 77 starts):
407 tackles (278 solo)
21 TFL
16 QB Hits
5.5 Sacks
21 INT
55 Pdef
4 FF
1x Pro Bowl, 1x 2nd Team All-Pro

Bates ('18-'22, 79 starts):
479 tackles (327 solo)
6 TFL
2 QB Hits
0.0 Sacks
14 INT
43 Pdef
3 FF
0x Pro Bowl, 1x 2nd Team All-Pro

I was a 'no vote' until this post.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Nelson - no question.

Why?
Because Nelson was consistent and reliable as the sunshine. Bates "turned it on" as many said, and I think he had better overall talent, but 80% of football is half in the head, and Bates had his up his ass half the time due to being grumpy and contract disputes. FYI - "Turning it on" is the same as saying "inconsistent", which Bates was.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 10:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh? Trey Hendrickson was top 5 in sacks in 2021.

The Bengals were top 10 in sacks 4 out of the 5 years that Reggie Nelson was  starting Safety. Vs Bates where the Bengals never made the top 10 sacks in his  5 years.

Also Interior pressure is much more meaningful than Edge pressure.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 09:47 PM)J24 Wrote: The Bengals were top 10 in sacks 4 out of the 5 years that Reggie Nelson was  starting Safety. Vs Bates where the Bengals never made the top 10 sacks in his  5 years.

bingo. Atkins, Dunlap, and Johnson wrecked havoc

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Nelson no question.

But to pay Bates his due had we won the Super Bowl his play off run would have probably gone down as one of the best individually in history he was on another level. ***** refs and Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 09:47 PM)J24 Wrote: The Bengals were top 10 in sacks 4 out of the 5 years that Reggie Nelson was  starting Safety. Vs Bates where the Bengals never made the top 10 sacks in his  5 years.

They were tied for 11th in 2021 (one sack out of the top 10), and that was with them resting the starters in week 18 having already clinched the division. It’s fair to point out how good they were in the Zimmer/Guenther years, but “Bates never had a pass rush” is just not true.

And that 21 team had interior pressure. Ogunjobi and Hill had 12.5 sacks.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 11:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They were tied for 11th in 2021 (one sack out of the top 10), and that was with them resting the starters in week 18 having already clinched the division. It’s fair to point out how good they were in the Zimmer/Guenther years, but “Bates never had a pass rush” is just not true.

And that 21 team had interior pressure. Ogunjobi and Hill had 12.5 sacks.

1 year the Bates era teams had a decent pass rush. Nelson was playing on some great pass rush teams year in year out

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Reggie

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Bates. Hated to lose him but would way rather have Brown.
Reply/Quote
I am utterly surprised so many people are picking Nelson. Bates is underrated here for sure
-Housh
Reply/Quote