Poll: Who was a better Bengal?
Rudi Johnson
Cedric Benson
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vs Series: Rudi Johnson vs Ced Benson
Who you got?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Both overrated, but I will take Rudi. Only time Benson reached 4.0 YPC was when they had 6 OL and 2 TE.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Man, this was a tough one, going by the production numbers. I gave the edge to Rudi, as he began and spent almost all of his career with the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Rudi. Neither of these guys were big play hitters and neither could create for themselves very well but Benson was awful in open space and he really struggled to break tackles. There are a lot of us who complain about Mixon and his inability to break tackles and create yardage for himself, and Mixon is far and away better at it than Benson ever was. He averaged a broken tackle percentage of about 8% during his career here in Cincinnati. For comparison, Mixon averaged 10.5% last season. 

All of the advanced data points to Rudi very handily as well. Aside from 2009, Benson was in the conversation for worst starting RB in the league. He brought some fun moments and I have a lot of nostalgia of him from 2009, but he just wasn't very good. 
Reply/Quote
Rudi

He always seemed to fall for yards
-Housh
Reply/Quote
RIP Ced, but this one's not that close for me
Reply/Quote
Ced was the full-time RB for the Bengals for 3 years 2009-2011. During those 3 years, only 5 RBs in the NFL gained 1,000 yards in each of those seasons.

Ray Rice
Steven Jackson
Chris Johnson
MJD
Ced Benson

The only reason we didn't end our playoff draught in 2009 is for some unknown reason we quit running Ced it the 2nd half against NYJ. He was running over folks

Ced is the author of one of my top 5 Bengal memories when he trucked Troy P.

WTS, Rudi was the more productive Bengal RB
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Rudi, and it's not particularly close for me. Benson had the one great season when he pretty much carried the offense. A spent Larry Johnson filled in pretty nicely for him too that season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Rudi aka the Underwear thief, for me.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 09:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ced was the full-time RB for the Bengals for 3 years 2009-2011. During those 3 years, only 5 RBs in the NFL gained 1,000 yards in each of those seasons.

Ray Rice
Steven Jackson
Chris Johnson
MJD
Ced Benson

The only reason we didn't end our playoff draught in 2009 is for some unknown reason we quit running Ced it the 2nd half against NYJ. He was running over folks

Ced is the author of one of my top 5 Bengal memories when he trucked Troy P.

WTS, Rudi was the more productive Bengal RB

For me it would be Ced. I remember thinking after that Jets game loss that it was a shame to have wasted such a good game from Ced. I don't think he touched the ball without gaining at least 5yds that game. Without Shayne Graham forgetting how to kick a chip shot field goal we probably win as well. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 11:55 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: For me it would be Ced. I remember thinking after that Jets game loss that it was a shame to have wasted such a good game from Ced. I don't think he touched the ball without gaining at least 5yds that game. Without Shayne Graham forgetting how to kick a chip shot field goal we probably win as well. 

I get it's opinions, but I don't get the "it's not close" crowd. Ced was our rock for 3 years. 

Reply/Quote
Rudi, one of the Johnson's and a big willie.
Reply/Quote
Tough to say. The mid 2000s OL was awesome. I’d probably lean Rudi, but it’s close. If you have benson the 04-06 line; he might have done even more than rudi.
Reply/Quote
I miss Cedric Benson and am still saddened to think he passed away so young.

As for the better RB? Rudi Johnson. That said I think Rudi had a better surrounding cast. I mean, that was an incredible line with huge holes to run through. And defenses *had to* defend the passing game with Carson Palmer and Chad & TJ. The defense got them the ball back frequently so there were more chances to get touches as well. The result was a potent offense who just couldn't be stopped in many games.

Reply/Quote
Lopsided result.

Reply/Quote
I said this back in 2012 and I'll say it again, **** Cedric Benson.

I was at the Texans/Bengals playoff game and during warmups everyone was on the field except for Benson....he was just sitting there on the end of the bench all by his lonesome self. I commented to my gf at the time saying something like "Look at Benson down there not participating with the team, I bet he has a low effort game"

And what did he do? Mail it in. Shitty first half and then he was invisible in the second half.

I'd take just about anyone over Benson.

Edit: I forgot he passed (RIP)....but doesn't change my opinion.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 09:25 PM)basballguy Wrote: I said this back in 2012 and I'll say it again, **** Cedric Benson.

I was at the Texans/Bengals playoff game and during warmups everyone was on the field except for Benson....he was just sitting there on the end of the bench all by his lonesome self.  I commented to my gf at the time saying something like "Look at Benson down there not participating with the team, I bet he has a low effort game"

And what did he do?  Mail it in.  Shitty first half and then he was invisible in the second half.  

I'd take just about anyone over Benson.

Edit:  I forgot he passed (RIP)....but doesn't change my opinion.

We scored 1 TD in that game. Guess who got it? 

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 10:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We scored 1 TD in that game. Guess who got it? 

a 1 yard punch in on 1st down.......Doesn't change the fact he played like ass.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I think Rudi is criminally underrated. He owns the top two rushing seasons by a Bengals back, scored 12 rushing TDs 3 years in a row, was always a physical runner, but had enough speed and vision to bust a long one. I absolutely adore Corey Dillon, but Rudi outperformed him with much of the same supporting cast. Yeah, the Bengals had Chad and TJ that opponents had to worry about, but Rudi still got his, which I think makes his numbers even more impressive.

Ced Benson was a bright spot in some offenses that struggled mightily. I enjoyed watching him during his time here, but he really seemed like a feast or famine type of guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 03:32 AM)wcu Wrote: I think Rudi is criminally underrated. He owns the top two rushing seasons by a Bengals back, scored 12 rushing TDs 3 years in a row, was always a physical runner, but had enough speed and vision to bust a long one. I absolutely adore Corey Dillon, but Rudi outperformed him with much of the same supporting cast. Yeah, the Bengals had Chad and TJ that opponents had to worry about, but Rudi still got his, which I think makes his numbers even more impressive.

Ced Benson was a bright spot in some offenses that struggled mightily. I enjoyed watching him during his time here, but he really seemed like a feast or famine type of guy.
I don't remember Rudi ever going more than 30 yards. 
Reply/Quote