Poll: Who you got?
Takeo Spikes
Vontaze Burfict
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vs Series: Takeo Spikes vs Vontaze Burfict
Very similar career lengths with the Bengals (70ish games) and similar stats. One was a better QB of the defense, but lacked composure.

Who you got?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Being old enough to have watched and remember both of them, I gotta go with Burfict. If Burfict would have began his career 10 years earlier, he'd likely have been a hall of famer. He had a passion for the game not often scene, and the ability to 'take over' a game, so long as he could stay on the right side of the officiating.

It's a shame that Vontaze had to play his career in a time when the league was in a serious transition towards player safety, as he would have been lauded as an all-time great back in the days of Lawrence Taylor and other such violent players. I also feel like he got the short end of the stick when Mike Zimmer went on to become Head Coach of the Vikings. I sort of feel like Zimmer had a way of communicating with Vontaze that enabled him to keep his emotions in check, and to stay focused on the game. When Paully G. took over, Burfict was left to his own demons and they eventually got the best of him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Burfict is the easy answer here. Dude could have been a HOF type linebacker if he would have just kept his head on straight. He was such a talent.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Burfict.

Spikes spent much of his career as a Bengal out of position. When the Bengals made lifetime OLB Brian Simmons their signal caller instead of natural MLB Spikes, they hosed themselves when they later switched to a 4-3 and kept Simmons inside and moved Spikes outside.

Burfict was the best overall LB that the Bengals have had since Bill Bergey. Pratt and Wilson have improved each year, but they're still not in the Bergey/Burfict level yet.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I'm already afraid that I've posted another blow out poll, so let me try to help TKO. LOL

There was a time when he was being compared to Ray Lewis.

Sure, Shannon Sharpe famously said "that's like comparing Titanic to Dude, Where's my Car?", but still, the comparison was there.

TKO was phenomenal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Vontaze Burfict.
Takeo was solid. Really fundamentally sound.
But Vontaze brought a swagger and edge to the Bengals
Defense that was badly needed. You know you got the
Right LB when the Steelers players are calling you dirty.
Vontaze like Chris Henry and JaMarr were not fazed by
That Steeler "mysticism"
I saw Vontaze take over football games.
Takeo could never put the team on his shoulders
Reply/Quote
Takeo Spikes wins because I liked using him in NFL Blitz.
Reply/Quote
Man, I might be alone on this one. I am voting Takeo Spikes and I don't think it is even remotely close. Burfict was a borderline net negative during his tenure in Cincinnati. Between being unable to play due to suspension or injury and racking up penalties on the field, he outweighed the good that he brought. He was fantastic his first two years but his value declined sharply afterwards. I think he has quickly grown into one of the most overrated Bengals in franchise history.
Reply/Quote
From a career standpoint, Spikes played almost 3x as many games as Burfict.
However, Burfict put up better stats on a per-year basis.

While I liked Burfict a lot from his rookie year through 2015-2016, I think Spikes has to take this. He was just more overly reliable than Burfict.
Had Burfict not allowed himself to get a bad reputation and arguably draw penalties/suspensions that may have been unfair because of that reputation, he could have potentially had a (way) better career.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Burfict's peak may be better, but Spikes was also one of the best LB's in the league without all the personal fouls

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Both players are tragic figures in Bengal history. Burfict for his role in the game that shall not be named, and Spikes for leaving right before the team became decent again. There's so much woulda, coulda, shoulda with Vontaze. He could take over games when he was available, Unfortunately, he missed a shitload of time due to suspension or injury.

Burfict also had a penchant to come into seasons fat. He was a super-instinctive player with a ton of football smarts, but being overweight definitely hindered him in more than one season. Sometimes he was flat-out sluggish. The greats don't come in fat. Not at that position. Dude that spent that much time off the field for various reasons has no excuse not to be in tip-top shape when he finally gets back into the game.

Spikes was reliable and a good soldier. He did his time and left, playing exemplary football in his time as a Bengal. He had some bad luck picking free agent destinations throughout his career. Escaping the Bengals did him little good in the end.

I'd take Takeo in this one. Both of these guys were excellent, but only one managed to stay on the field. Availability can't be overlooked as a consideration, especially here. Burfict missed some time for injuries, but most of his absences were due to his own lack of discipline. If I'm picking one to build a team, I'm picking the one that's going to more than likely be on the field.
Reply/Quote
Spikes

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yeah I’m on the Takeo too. One of my favourite Nengals back then. On field Vontaze was awesome to have as a Bengal, tough, intimidating and dirty. Loved him laying Steelers, and others, out but was a liability too often and not available enough.
Reply/Quote
Burfict is another in the long list of woulda, coulda, shoulda Bengals players. I don't think there's much contest in how good Burfict "could have been" vs. Spikes.

But I had to go Spikes for being way more reliable and nowhere near as much extra-curricular activity that hurt the team.
Reply/Quote
Spikes, he'd keep his cool in a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
That lunatic Burfict is in my top 3 all time favourite Bengals wore his heart on his sleeve when he played.

Now he may have occasionally crossed the line (putting it mildly) but Christ he was entertaining to watch.

Had we won that playoff game somehow, the hit on AB would have been painted in a wall downtown.

Should have him back as a ruler of the jungle specifically against the Steelers he’s a cult hero.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 05:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Burfict's peak may be better, but Spikes was also one of the best LB's in the league without all the personal fouls

This... And Burfict's peak was REALLY short.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think Spikes was way better over the course of his career. Not even close.
Reply/Quote
Burfict was one of the leaders on a good defense and played one of the greatest games at linebacker in the playoff loss.. he was that dominate. Burfict was a game changer , Spikes isn't even in the same league.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 05:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Man, I might be alone on this one. I am voting Takeo Spikes and I don't think it is even remotely close. Burfict was a borderline net negative during his tenure in Cincinnati. Between being unable to play due to suspension or injury and racking up penalties on the field, he outweighed the good that he brought. He was fantastic his first two years but his value declined sharply afterwards. I think he has quickly grown into one of the most overrated Bengals in franchise history.

I guess I was confused at the question. 

Is the question who had the better career? Or who was the better player? Like, if I had to start a team today, who would I take? Takeo or Tez? 

I'd take Tez for sure...not really taking into account any of the off the field stuff. 

But yeah, Takeo might have had a bettter Bengals career, I agree. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote