Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAR by position MLB rankings
I was curious to see what the numbers looked like when comparing the whole team to the rest of MLB.

C- 23Rd 1.1
1B-10Th 2.2
2B-27Th 0.5
SS-25Th 1.3
3B-11Th 3.5
LF-21St 0.6
CF-26Th 0.3
RF-24Th 0.1
SP- 7Th 16.8
RP-15Th 3.6

I thought that the Catcher and SS positions ranked a little higher. I’m surprised that Votto and the 1B backups ranked this high. The 2B position was pathetic. That OF combination has to rank in the bottom 3 in baseball. We all knew how good the starters looked and that should be repeatable. The relievers had a higher mark than I expected, they would’ve been a positive with a better closer. The Bengals have me ready for spring training and it’s only October.
Reply/Quote
Wow

Like you say I'm amazed 1B is that high and shocked SS is that low. Makes no sense at all to me.

I don't think the Bengals have a prayer until MB is gone. And I'm not even sure they will then ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Wow

Like you say I'm amazed 1B is that high and shocked SS is that low. Makes no sense at all to me.

I don't think the Bengals have a prayer until MB is gone. And I'm not even sure they will then ?

I’m guessing that 1B must have gotten some homeruns and RBI from the bench at 1B. It makes me a tad bit less frustrated with Votto. Yep, the Bengals are a mess. I’m more optimistic with the Reds current plan than whatever the Bengals plan is. Both organizations have been poorly run. It would be refreshing if just one of them could be above average.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:13 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m guessing that 1B must have gotten some homeruns and RBI from the bench at 1B. It makes me a tad bit less frustrated with Votto. Yep, the Bengals are a mess. I’m more optimistic with the Reds current plan than whatever the Bengals plan is. Both organizations have been poorly run. It would be refreshing if just one of them could be above average.

Had to at 1B that is. But I'm not even real sure how they arrive at those numbers ?

We've got to get better in the outfield. Hopefully Aquino is the real deal. The more I think about it the more I think they should put Senzel at 2B.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Had to at 1B that is. But I'm not even real sure how they arrive at those numbers ?

We've got to get better in the outfield. Hopefully Aquino is the real deal. The more I think about it the more I think they should put Senzel at 2B.

I’m guessing that Dietrich must have had some of his HR tear while filling in at 1B. Votto has a 0.7 WAR, which is better than I thought too. I’m pretty sure that when the Outfield’s were compared as a whole that the Reds has the 3rd worst in Baseball. Moving Senzel to Second, starting Aquino, getting 2 new starting OFers, dumping Winker and keeping Ervin as my 4th Outfield would be my move.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Had to at 1B that is. But I'm not even real sure how they arrive at those numbers ?

I’d also keep Farmer or Vanmeter on the bench over Peraza. I’d send Peraza off with Winker. They’re both Shcebler type players AAAA
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:02 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote:  They’re both Shcebler type players AAAA

Until he mysteriously crashed in 2019 Schebler was a solid starter.

For the 3 year span from '16-'18 he had a .779 OPS which ranked 57th among all OFs (min 1000 ABs).  That is not bad considering there are 32 MLB teams.  Not great but better than Farmer (.689) and VanMeter (.735).
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2019, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Until he mysteriously crashed in 2019 Schebler was a solid starter.

For the 3 year span from '16-'18 he had a .779 OPS which ranked 57th among all OFs (min 1000 ABs).  That is not bad considering there are 32 MLB teams.  Not great but better than Farmer (.689) and VanMeter (.735).

Schebler has shown flashes, just like Peraza has. The Reds will always have to depend on some projects working out but they need more players with a good, proven track record.
Reply/Quote
Schebler has a very low baseball IQ. He costs the Reds runs by trying to hit a five run home run on every swing. One of the most useless batters with runners on base that I've ever seen. Only on a four year last place team('15-'18) will players like Schebler get any playing time.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 04:41 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote:  Only on a four year last place team('15-'18) will players like Schebler get any playing time.

Kind of silly to be arguing about Scott Schebler but.  .  .  

(11-04-2019, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For the 3 year span from '16-'18 he had a .779 OPS which ranked 57th among all OFs (min 1000 ABs).  That is not bad considering there are 32 MLB teams.  

57th is not bad when you consider there are 96 starting outfielders in MLB.

And that was not just his best season.  That was a 3 year average.
Reply/Quote
The Reds team batting average dropped a full .10 percentage points .254 to .244 in one season with relatively few changes. The horrendous season start was the primary reason, but it put them into such a hole they just couldn't recover. A lot of fans want to blame Votto, but despite his terrible usual start he still hit a respectable .261 for the season. If we went by the typical Votto narrative he should have hit a paltry .121 the entire season. That's not what happened. For much of the first half of the season we had ONE player hitting even over .250, Jose Iglesias and he was hitting well above his usual slash line.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2019, 07:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kind of silly to be arguing about Scott Schebler but.  .  .  

57th is not bad when you consider there are 96 starting outfielders in MLB.

And that was not just his best season.  That was a 3 year average.

I really hope nobody in the known universe is trying to defend Schebler's 2019 season. By any standard it was terrible even by minor league standards. I don't even know how he may have fared in low A ball. Heck, he might have been a big star in Billings, but I kind of doubt it. The odd part is there's every possibility his 2020 season will see him hitting .345 with 50 HR's, but don't hold your breath.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don't care about his numbers . . . his baseball IQ is small. This wasn't a new issue in 2019. He sucks with runners on base, especially when you need a ground ball to second base to advance a runner on 2nd with no outs. Nope! Five run home run swing on every single at bat, no matter the situation, usually with him walking back to the dugout looking very confused. THAT'S what I mean that winning teams don't have mediocre players like Schebler on their rosters. If you are going to have a backup on the bench to pinch hit late in games when you need a home run, sure. But he needs to be smarter at the game of baseball than Scott Schebler.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Scott Schebler in Louisville in 2019
53 games
212 plate appearances
194 at bats
18 runs
42 hits
6 doubles
5 home runs
17 runs batted in
0 stolen bases
1 caught stealing
12 walks
51 strike outs
.216 batting average
.274 on base percentage
.325 slugging average
.598 ops
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Josh VanMeter 2019 in Louisville

49 games
211 plate appearances
181 at bats
43 runs
63 hits
14 doubles
1 triple
14 home runs
43 runs batted in
8 stolen bases
3 caught stealing
24 walks
37 strike outs
.348 batting average
.429 on base percentage
.669 slugging average
1.097 ops
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 01:32 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I don't care about his numbers . . . his baseball IQ is small. This wasn't a new issue in 2019. He sucks with runners on base, especially when you need a ground ball to second base to advance a runner on 2nd with no outs. Nope! Five run home run swing on every single at bat, no matter the situation, usually with him walking back to the dugout looking very confused. THAT'S what I mean that winning teams don't have mediocre players like Schebler on their rosters. If you are going to have a backup on the bench to pinch hit late in games when you need a home run, sure. But he needs to be smarter at the game of baseball than Scott Schebler.

Agree,

Schebler is another one of those dime a dozen bench players that the Reds have had a pickup load of the last several seasons. If they want to contend this coming season they need to stop trying to put on band aids and upgrade from this bunch.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2019, 01:32 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I don't care about his numbers . . . his baseball IQ is small. This wasn't a new issue in 2019. He sucks with runners on base, especially when you need a ground ball to second base to advance a runner on 2nd with no outs. Nope! Five run home run swing on every single at bat, no matter the situation, usually with him walking back to the dugout looking very confused. THAT'S what I mean that winning teams don't have mediocre players like Schebler on their rosters. If you are going to have a backup on the bench to pinch hit late in games when you need a home run, sure. But he needs to be smarter at the game of baseball than Scott Schebler.

I had high hopes for Scott after he whacked 30 HR’s about 3 seasons ago. I thought that he could develop into that power bat that the Reds need from the left side of the plate. Losing his numbers, losing Scooter and the Votto power outage.... the LH hitting has taken a beating. Scott was never gonna hit more than .240 or .250 but he’s way messed up right now.
Reply/Quote