Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BENGALS ADD TE and DB AFTER DRAFT
For the fans in the draft who said, where is a TE, where is a DB, and there were a few. Bengals added Pro Wells, TE, TCU and Antonio Phillips, DB, Ball State

Also with Gio gone, they added Pooka Williams, RB, Kansas.

TE-Pro Wells rep is he is a Red Zone Touchdown Machine at TCU. He has great Red Zone moves, Goes Up and Come Down with the Touchdown from his basketball career. He needs coached up on Line Blocking. ..and Steelers Site Fans wanted him.

DB- Antonio Phillips rep is he has been one of the best DB's in college football at Ball State. He makes interceptions, good cover skills, good on tackling. He is seen as a late round pick who's best fit is in zone coverage packages.

RB- Pooka Williams was Kansas leading rusher PLUS he was First Team All Big-12 several years. A First Team All Big 12 Running Back is worth a try, because The Big 12 has turned out many great running backs. Hard nosed football types out West.

Now I Love that 8 of the 10 draft picks were Trenches. The O Line, D Line and Linebackers were the big reason this team is losing, anyone could see that. Bengals were getting beat in the Trenches on both ends every game. Really, the Trenches began to fall apart after 2016 season when Whitworth and Zeigler were not resigned and left to go free agency. In last couple years the Defensive Front also fell apart. So No Blocking and No Tackling, I'm glad a Draft to address that.

Still, as much as I liked Bengals Draft Picks, some wondered about no TE or DB taken....As soon as Draft ended, Bengals added a TE and a DB to compete to make the team. They also added a RB, a position I felt Bengals needed.

So to me, this TE, DB and RB are icing on the cake to what I feel was an excellent Draft Weekend. Bengals got the LSU Burrow to Chase combo. They added best field goal kicker in draft. Mostly they used 8 of 10 picks on O Line, D Line and LB / D Line. 8 added Blockers and Tacklers so Bengals can put on The Big Boy Pants. In spite of rule changes, this isn't touch football. Bengals just got a lot tougher in The Trenches.

GO BENGALS....I mention these 3 only because fans were asking about TE and DB, and I was hoping a RB added somewhere. With who THE BENGALS added in Free Agency in March and now in Draft Weekend, there is reason to HOPE and yell, GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Havent seen someone with a side step as sudden and effortless as Pooka since Forte. He could be something. Definitely more of a slot receiver build though.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 05:57 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Havent seen someone with a side step as sudden and effortless as Pooka since Forte. He could be something. Definitely more of a slot receiver build though.

That works since Gio now gone was more of a pass catcher and Mixon the runner.  Bengals have Perrine. You need a stable of running backs and an All Big 12 Rusher is a good addition.   
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised we could not attract a significant receiver. We certainly ha e a need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:32 AM)3wt Wrote: I'm surprised we could not attract a significant receiver.   We certainly ha e a need.

They added a WR after draft, but you are not going to find a SIGNIFICANT WR after the draft.  I mention 3 positions Bengals did not draft.  Bengals have much depth after Boyd, Higgins, Chase, they have have other receivers besides them.  Mike Thomas I like.  Do we still have Tate and Washington ?  WR is not a needs area after drafting Chase.  We probably have more talent at WR than any team in NFL.  So I mentioned the TIGHT END, DEFENSIVE BACK, RUNNING BACK.

Tight end is a good late round pick, Bob Trumpy would have been an undrafted free agent now with just 7 rounds.

Defensive Back is a good late round pick, Ken Riley was a 6th round draft pick.

College has many running backs, so to get the All Big 12 rushing leader for Kansas is a steal after the draft.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I like Pro Wells. For a guy like who has soft hands and strong athleticism, I'm surprised he didn't get drafted- and not just because of his name Wink. And from the film that I checked out, he doesn't seem completely clueless when it comes to blocking, either. Great signing imo.

I don't know much about Phillips but from what I can tell he has good eyes and plays with (too much of?) an edge. We also needed to fortify our DBs and I was a bit surprised we didn't grab one in R5/6/7. At the same time, if we would have taken Phillips anyway then it's just as well. He looks like he has problems staying healthy, tho, and that's a definite red flag for fans like me who are worn out from all of our secondary's missed games over the years. Still, worst-case is that he'll be a serviceable special teamer and I'm glad we have him...

Not so much Pooka. He's a Gio Bernard-type who plays small, can't block, and is not a model citizen. In other words, he's not Gio Bernard or anything close lol. There were quite a few playmaking RBs in this class and if you'd told me that we'd end up with (rusty) Chris Evans and Pooka Williams I wouldn't have been too happy haha. But that's my problem. The good thing is he can help in the return game and has a diverse skillset, so it remains to be seen how valuable he can be.

I do think we need to be aggressive on the wideouts and I don't believe Chase makes any difference on that front. We're not looking for first-options, we need to add depth, and this is a class that featured plenty of guys to do that. Marlon Williams, Trevon Grimes, Antonio Nunn, Cade Johnson, Blake Proehl all went undrafted and have since been signed by others. I'm still praying for a stud like Damonte Coxie out of Memphis, who led the NCAA in 15+ yd receptions between 2018 and 2019 (69). He remains unsigned and I think he's in talks with the Bears and Colts. Coxie's 6'3", has fantastic hands, is fearless across the middle... just a playmaker who sees the field really well. A quality talent from the same program that produced Antonio Gibson (for the record, Gibson played behind Coxie).

Either way, I'm hoping for one or two guys like that to supplement our depth and build our WR corps for the future. It doesn't hurt to go into camp with some options and hungry new faces imo.

Reply/Quote