Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHAT IF...?
(09-28-2017, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They hired a baseball guy to run their football team for goodness sake. He's still probably trying to figure out why these guys don't have batting averages.  LMAO

Wasn't he just an analytics guy? 

I know plenty of people who know nothing about baseball but can run fantasy baseball like kings because they are really good at analytics. 

With all the stats and tracking available, it would be silly not to look into it.

WVU was able to find out that they actually had their WRs run roughly 5 miles I think it was in a game. Just in routes. 

That might not seem like a lot but at full speed in bursts like that is absolutely insane. Sprinting 5 miles. 

Clemson goes out and runs backup WRs against starting DBs just to wear them down for late in games while they run the ball early. 
just have your backup WRs run vert routes for a few drives and hand it off on a RPO. Brilliant stuff. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 02:00 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: What if the Browns fire Hue at the end of the year. Would people want Hue as the HC here? I really liked him as a OC, but only having 1 win in a season +3 games even if it's with the browns right is pretty bad.

No. Not a fan of Hue. At least not the one that's still living.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 02:44 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Wasn't he just an analytics guy? 

I know plenty of people who know nothing about baseball but can run fantasy baseball like kings because they are really good at analytics. 

With all the stats and tracking available, it would be silly not to look into it.

WVU was able to find out that they actually had their WRs run roughly 5 miles I think it was in a game. Just in routes. 

That might not seem like a lot but at full speed in bursts like that is absolutely insane. Sprinting 5 miles. 

Clemson goes out and runs backup WRs against starting DBs just to wear them down for late in games while they run the ball early. 
just have your backup WRs run vert routes for a few drives and hand it off on a RPO. Brilliant stuff. 

DePodesta was the GM of the Dodgers 10 years ago. He was a sabermetrics guy. Essentially Moneyball as he worked under Beane with the Athletics.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 01:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think a new offensive line coach is needed. Clean house.

HOPE you can get a new staff in to overcome management. The new coaching staff would have to be amazing at developing players to make up for who we lose in free agency.

Who are we losing in FA this year? Eifert?

That isn't terrible as he is never on the field anyways.

(09-28-2017, 01:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yeah, I was thinking about it and I'm still on the "clean slate" club. I want ALL the coaches gone. I like Guenther, Simmons, an da couple of the other ones, but I want a whole new coaching staff. If the new HC wants to re-hire those guys, I'll be okay with it.

But, even if an interim HC takes us to the playoffs, if he doesn't get us to, at least, the AFCCG, I think I'd still want to see a whole new coaching staff. But, if MB keeps him around, I'd probably still be a fan of the team.

As to your what if, I think if Lewis goes in the offseason, so will PA, if not the rest of the coaching stafff.

I agree completely and hope you are right about both Marv and PA leaving. The team will be much better for it.

(09-28-2017, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure how I feel about promoting say Guenther to Interim HC.  Because, if it doesn't work out, we're losing a damn good DC, and then we have two major coaching voids to fill.

Good point about Guenther if we did promote him during the season.

Hadn't really thought of that. Don't trust Haslett or Coyle to be a DC.

(09-28-2017, 02:20 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Why do people like Simmons? Our ST has been a huge liability this year.

He is still one of the best ST's coaches in the NFL, has been for a long time.

You don't say he is crap cause of 3 games.
Reply/Quote
What if.......a win this Sunday turns this season around and we go on to make the playoffs and actually win a game in the playoffs? 

Would you still be a fan of this team?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 02:18 PM)Paul from Dayton Wrote: If that happens, we have to keep whoever that is because they have some sort of super human powers...

LOL

(09-28-2017, 02:22 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: He's been HC of the browns for 1 season plus 3 games. And it's the Browns! You have got to be kidding me expecting that out of him so quickly. It's the f****** Browns! Cut the guy some slack. If they give him 4 years and draft well they will be a respectable opponent, anything short of that and it's just history repeating itself

For some reason, I thought Hue was on his 3rd season as HC. Still, if there's no improvement from the team (and I'm not just talking wins/losses), I'm not sure I want him as HC. To be honest, though, I'm going to be VERY picky in who I want as the next HC. The main thing though is that MARVIN LEWIS IS NO LONGER THE HEAD COACH.

(09-28-2017, 02:59 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What if.......a win this Sunday turns this season around and we go on to make the playoffs and actually win a game in the playoffs? 

Yes. Would I still want Marvin Lewis as HC? No. I would only tolerate another year of ML if he gets us to the Super Bowl. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 02:59 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What if.......a win this Sunday turns this season around and we go on to make the playoffs and actually win a game in the playoffs? 

What Bengals fan would actually stay a fan if that happens? Isn't it obvious that everyone became a fan because they love not winning playoff games? We should just rename the team to "The Cincinnati Masochists".
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 01:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And feel free to provide your own 'what if'.

[Image: 863057a8540790409a49da4bb0817bc1--teache...-stuff.jpg]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I will ask another what if that i asked Shake N Blake in the venting thread...

What if Bill Lazor is a great OC this year and is able to even overcome this poor O-line play, should he be a HC candidate in the Offseason?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will ask another what if that i asked Shake N Blake in the venting thread...

What if Bill Lazor is a great OC this year and is able to even overcome this poor O-line play, should he be a HC candidate in the Offseason?

He can be a candidate, but I don't know if I want him as a HC. I'm not sure I want someone with no HC experience to replace Lewis.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
What if the Bengals did the right thing and just gave a lot of combinations on their offensive line a shot, looked long and hard at Fej, Evans, Malone, etc. and played the rest of the year like "who wants to be here next year"?

Then, after firing Lewis, they hire Todd Haley as HC and he keeps our defensive coaches is place but brings in a new OC.

What if you weakened your division opponent and strengthened your biggest weakness?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 05:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What if the Bengals did the right thing and just gave a lot of combinations on their offensive line a shot, looked long and hard at Fej, Evans, Malone, etc. and played the rest of the year like "who wants to be here next year"?

Then, after firing Lewis, they hire Todd Haley as HC and he keeps our defensive coaches is place but brings in a new OC.

What if you weakened your division opponent and strengthened your biggest weakness?

Browns weakened us, not sure how much better they got but who gives a shit if we already stink. I like it, f the Steelers anyway we can! If we suck we're dragging you a**clowns down with us!

Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander, I want them two gone for sure !

After them the sucking goes down quite a bit so I'd be pretty much open to whatever.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 04:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: He can be a candidate, but I don't know if I want him as a HC. I'm not sure I want someone with no HC experience to replace Lewis.

Same here.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 05:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What if the Bengals did the right thing and just gave a lot of combinations on their offensive line a shot, looked long and hard at Fej, Evans, Malone, etc. and played the rest of the year like "who wants to be here next year"?

For that to happen we would have to fire PA, so guess that is what you meant by using different combinations on the OL
and letting the best man win. Wasn't Haley the HC in Kansas City when they were sukking it up?

Don't know it i want that guy here.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 01:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For that to happen we would have to fire PA, so guess that is what you meant by using different combinations on the OL
and letting the best man win. Wasn't Haley the HC in Kansas City when they were sukking it up?

Don't know it i want that guy here.

He was the OC at Arizona with Kurt Warner's 2nd rise.  I am not sure about his HC tenure at KC, but it wasn't like they were perennial powerhouses before he got there.  I just love the way he gets guys open by design.  Seriously, piggy always has a wide open outlet.  And he practices what to do when a play breaks down.  (I know, novel concept).

We will have a new HC next year and it will probably be Guenther.  But I like Haley from an offensive standpoint.  
Reply/Quote

Who wouldn't?

That's the only thing i'm looking for, improvement. If this team--as it is--were able to turn the season around and win a playoff game...i guarantee you, 98% of the people here that want him gone will be ok with him. Me included.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure how I feel about promoting say Guenther to Interim HC.  Because, if it doesn't work out, we're losing a damn good DC, and then we have two major coaching voids to fill.

Agreed. I'm a fan of Guenther and it's partly why I hope we hire an offensive minded coach. Maybe a guy like that would be willing to keep some of the defensive staff. It happened when Marv (defensive guy) kept most of the offensive staff in place (everyone but the WR coach).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 01:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: "What if"s are fun (sometimes).

Here's one: what if, after a couple more losses, Brown fires Marvin and promotes Guenther/Alexander/[Fill the Blank] and we play well, go on to make the playoffs and win a playoff game or 2. Do you still want to see massive coaching changes? Or would you be willing to ride with what seemed to work?

Thoughts?

And feel free to provide your own 'what if'.
My fantasy world is not big enough to consider that wild scenario.
If Mikey did that, I definitely would leave the Bengals if for nothing more than the idea that he would do it.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 04:11 PM)PhilHos Wrote: He can be a candidate, but I don't know if I want him as a HC. I'm not sure I want someone with no HC experience to replace Lewis.
They all gotta start somewhere. Other than PB have the Bengals ever had a HC who had been a HC somewhere else? I can't think of one off the top of my head.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote