Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
WHAT SUPER BOWL STEELERS HAVE GOT AT PICK 31
In the AFC North, the team use to going to Super Bowl the most is The Steelers. Actually they have gone to Super Bowl a lot for an AFC Team. I would go back to Lombardi Packers but there were not 32 first round picks. As a Bengal Fan, we are not use to picking in a Super Bowl part of the draft. So who have Steelers got around Pick 31.

In 2005 at pick 30, they got TE- Heath Miller. In 2011 at pick 31, they got DE-Cameron Heyward. In 2017 at pick 30, they got LB-TJ Watt

OK, lets look at Patriots.

In 2005 at pick 32, G- Logan Mankins. In 2015 at pick 32, DT-Malcom Brown. 2018 at pick 31 is RB-Sony Michael.

If there is any method or idea here, it seems that THE BENGALS have to Wait And See and be Open Minded on who falls to them.

So people saying to grab this guy or that guy is pure nonsense, because Bengals Fans are use to picking early. On picking late, it seems the best thing to do is be very Open Minded, and if a TJ Watt or Heath Miller type player falls to Bengals at pick 31, TAKE HIM, regardless of what position he plays. What ever Top Athlete who should be Round One but is falling into Round Two, GRAB HIM.

So I would think the Bengals should have a list of who they think are the 32 First Round players in this Draft. Simply take the highest rated player that falls to them. NFL teams always surprise by taking a later round pick in Round One, it happens every year. This causes pretty good players to go down the ladder. I'm not saying the Bengals can get a TJ Watt at pick 31, but it shows good players do fall to Pick 31. Heck, The Bengals got Tee Higgins at the top of Round 2 in 2020.

I'm not even going to try to guess which Top Players fall due to a run on quarterbacks or receivers. I just know Top Players do Fall. The Bengals should be waiting there with a Johnny Bench catchers mitt to catch the Best Player that Falls to them at Pick 31, no matter what position he plays. Other Super Bowl Teams show this to be true.

GO BENGALS....The road back to Super Bowl has already begun

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Patriots pick 32 in 2025?! Thanks for the tip! Placing bets now
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2022, 11:38 AM)kevin Wrote: In the AFC North, the team use to going to Super Bowl the most is The Steelers.  Actually they have gone to Super Bowl a lot for an AFC Team.  I would go back to Lombardi Packers but there were not 32 first round picks.  As a Bengal Fan, we are not use to picking in a Super Bowl part of the draft.  So who have Steelers got around Pick 31.  

In 2005 at pick 30, they got TE- Heath Miller.  In 2011 at pick 31, they got DE-Cameron Heyward.  In 2017 at pick 30, they got LB-TJ Watt

In 2005 at pick 32, G- Logan Mankins.  In 2025 at pick 32, DT-Malcom Brown. 2018 at pick 31 is RB-Sony Michael.

If there is any method or idea here, it seems that THE BENGALS have to Wait And See and be Open Minded on who falls to them.  

So people saying to grab this guy or that guy is pure nonsense, because Bengals Fans are use to picking early.  On picking late, it seems the best thing to do is be very Open Minded, and if a TJ Watt or Heath Miller type player falls to Bengals at pick 31, TAKE HIM, regardless of what position he plays.  What ever Top Athlete who should be Round One but is falling into Round Two, GRAB HIM.

So I would think the Bengals should have a list of who they think are the 32 First Round players in this Draft.  Simply take the highest rated player that falls to them.  NFL teams always surprise by taking a later round pick in Round One, it happens every year.  This causes pretty good players to go down the ladder.  I'm not saying the Bengals can get a TJ Watt at pick 31, but it shows good players do fall to Pick 31.   Heck, The Bengals got Tee Higgins at the top of Round 2 in 2020.  

I'm not even going to try to guess which Top Players fall due to a run on quarterbacks or receivers. I just know Top Players do Fall.  The Bengals should be waiting there with a Johnny Bench catchers mitt to catch the Best Player that Falls to them at Pick 31, no matter what position he plays.  Other Super Bowl Teams show this to be true.

Tiger  Who Dey  Tiger
Nice post.  This provides perspective for all of us who have become depressingly accustomed to the rarefied air of early picks and may require acclimitization to the the heavy air at 31.

The impressive thing about this year's free agency is how it has set us up to do exactly what you're suggesting:  BPA.  It's really going to be fun to watch the draft and see what diamond falls into our lap.  

It's hard to stomach that our hated rival has struck gold so often from the 31 spot.  The good thing is that they have shown us what's possible.  Duke Tobin, go thou and do likewise.
Reply/Quote
So just for fun, I did simulations at the 4 sites to see who might be available at 31.

PFF -- no one of note. But, Howell was available. If we traded back with a QB-hungry team, 40-42 was Travis Jones, Ebiteke, Kenyon Green.

TDN -- our choice of Elam, Hill, Cine, Mafe, and Ojabo. Pickett/Howell also there. A trade back to 40-42 giver us the choice of Skyye Moore (think 4 wides and returner), LB Harris from Bama, Tyler Smith.

PFN -- Devonte Wyatt (yes, please) and Kenyon Green. Pickett/Howell there. Trade back to 39-41 for the choice of Ojabe, McCreary, and Mafe. Screw that, it's Wyatt.

Fanspeak -- Devin Lloyd and Stingley. I know, lol, but there they are.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2022, 01:48 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: So just for fun, I did simulations at the 4 sites to see who might be available at 31.

PFF -- no one of note.  But, Howell was available.  If we traded back with a QB-hungry team, 40-42 was Travis Jones, Ebiteke, Kenyon Green.

TDN -- our choice of Elam, Hill, Cine, Mafe, and Ojabo.  Pickett/Howell also there.  A trade back to 40-42 giver us the choice of Skyye Moore (think 4 wides and returner), LB Harris from Bama, Tyler Smith.

PFN -- Devonte Wyatt (yes, please) and Kenyon Green.  Pickett/Howell there.  Trade back to 39-41 for the choice of Ojabe, McCreary, and Mafe.  Screw that, it's Wyatt.

Fanspeak -- Devin Lloyd and Stingley.  I know, lol, but there they are.

I'm tempted to combine ESPN and CBS top players to see who the Top 32 are.  Here is the thing. There are always teams who take a player slated to go Round 2 or 3.  This causes Round 1 players to fall.  No way The Steelers should have got Heath Miller, Heyward or TJ Watt so late in Round One. Teams must have been taking Round 2 or 3 Players in Round 1.   So could The Bengals get a player who is in the Top 10, or Top 15 at Pick 30.  Yes, it happens.  

Lets look at Steelers getting TJ Watt end of Round 1, or Bengals getting Tee Higgins at pick 33 to start Round 2.   This shows Bengals could get a good player that should have went earlier in draft.  

So I'm not looking at who may be there at Pick 31 now, because someone much better will probably fall to Bengals.  Teams picking for Needs often take Round 2 or Round 3 players in Round One,  it happens every year.  This causes a TJ Watt or Tee Higgins to be steals as you get around Pick 31.  

We agree, it's too early to say who to draft.  We agree for Bengals to wait and see who falls, and maybe Bengals get very lucky on a player who should never still be on the board at Pick 31.   No matter what position he plays, Bengals should take a top player that should have went sooner. They won't know that until the Draft is actually going. 

I just looked at ESPN and CBS Top Prospects and Mock Drafts. Here are some possible falls to Bengals :
#1. Nakobe Dean-LB-Georgia....ESPN rates him 12, CBS 21. ESPN has Chargers taking him at 17, but CBS has him undrafted when Bengals pick.
#2, DeVonte Wyatt-DL-Georgia....ESPN rates him 20, CBS 33. Yet CBS shows him going to Packers at 22 but ESPN shows him undrafted when Bengals pick
#3. Daxton Hill-Safety-Michigan....ESPN rates at 23, CBS at 11. CBS shows Chiefs draft him at 30, but ESPN shows Bengals can get him at 31
#4. George Karlafits-DE-Purdue....ESPN ranks 24. CBS ranks 13. CBS shows Texans take him at 17. ESPN says Bengals can get him
Then at 5 and 6 are CB's of Kyler Gordon of Washington and Roger McCreary of Auburn.

So lets say one of these Georgia Defensive Players falls to Bengals at Pick 31. Bengals should be all over it. Wyatt is big enough to play DE or DT and would be a great add to Bengals D Line. Either of these Georgia players would be steals at pick 31. The Safety Hill looks like he might be around pick 31 anyway.

So the possible slips are the 2 Georgie Defensive Players, but maybe even better fall to Bengals on Draft Day. Hearing Bengals draft Wyatt would be OK to me. I have seen the name DeVonte Wyatt on Bengals.com as they talk about how Free Agency has set up Bengals to Draft Defense n Round One. Wyatt is big enough to play DE or DT, and that would add depth to both spots.

If we look at Steelers or Patriots at Super Bowl picks around 31, or Bengals at top picks in round 2, history shows a good player should fall to Bengals at pick 31. Just be Open Minded on the position this Best Available Athlete plays.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2022, 11:38 AM)kevin Wrote: In the AFC North, the team use to going to Super Bowl the most is The Steelers.  Actually they have gone to Super Bowl a lot for an AFC Team.  I would go back to Lombardi Packers but there were not 32 first round picks.  As a Bengal Fan, we are not use to picking in a Super Bowl part of the draft.  So who have Steelers got around Pick 31.  

In 2005 at pick 30, they got TE- Heath Miller.  In 2011 at pick 31, they got DE-Cameron Heyward.  In 2017 at pick 30, they got LB-TJ Watt

In 2005 at pick 32, G- Logan Mankins.  In 2015 at pick 32, DT-Malcom Brown. 2018 at pick 31 is RB-Sony Michael.

So people saying to grab this guy or that guy is pure nonsense, because Bengals Fans are use to picking early.  On picking late, it seems the best thing to do is be very Open Minded, and if a TJ Watt or Heath Miller type player falls to Bengals at pick 31, TAKE HIM, regardless of what position he plays.  What ever Top Athlete who should be Round One but is falling into Round Two, GRAB HIM.

So I would think the Bengals should have a list of who they think are the 32 First Round players in this Draft.  Simply take the highest rated player that falls to them.  NFL teams always surprise by taking a later round pick in Round One, it happens every year.  This causes pretty good players to go down the ladder.  I'm not saying the Bengals can get a TJ Watt at pick 31, but it shows good players do fall to Pick 31.   Heck, The Bengals got Tee Higgins at the top of Round 2 in 2020.  

I'm not even going to try to guess which Top Players fall due to a run on quarterbacks or receivers. I just know Top Players do Fall.  The Bengals should be waiting there with a Johnny Bench catchers mitt to catch the Best Player that Falls to them at Pick 31, no matter what position he plays.  Other Super Bowl Teams show this to be true.

Tiger  Who Dey  Tiger

The problem  is as a whole it is still a crap shoot in the draft, do think teams that knew how good Watts would be would have passed on him. In the end bengals have to trust their evaluation of players balance it with need and decide.. I prefer bpf best player fit over best player available 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 07:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The problem  is as a whole it is still a crap shoot in the draft, do think teams that knew how good Watts would be would have passed on him. In the end bengals have to trust their evaluation of players balance it with need and decide.. I prefer bpf best player fit over best player available 

"You always draft for need."    Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 08:26 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: "You always draft for need."    Paul Brown

The Bengals already say they can now look to Defense after Free Agency O Line and TE additions.   They can use D Line to LB to CB to S.   

So there is a need for a good D Lineman if one falls to them. If not, a need to draft a Safety or CB.  A good LB if that's what falls. 

Don't rule out a left guard, but Bengals admit they are looking Defense.  

As for Watt,  after JJ Watt, TJ Watt was no surprise. Neither was Heath Miller.  Steelers were just smart enough to take the best athlete at pick 31.   Bengals can be smart enough also.  

Again, this is not the usual Bengals high pick after a last place season.  This is a low pick after a Super Bowl season.  There should be a good Defensive Player fall to Bengals at Pick 31.   One of the reasons is there could be 4 quarterbacks drafted in round one.  Also receivers and O linemen.  So some Defense will go before pick 31, but not all Defense.  There should be a good top notch Defensive player at pick 31.  

As Bengals.com has said,  Bengals have not drafted round one for a CB in a while.  Even longer is Bengals drafting a round one D Lineman, or LB or Safety.   So Bengals are over due to draft Defense in round one.  Bengals Free Agency sets them up to take Best Defensive Athlete Available., but if none available, don't rule out a good left guard still on the board.  Place your bets on a Defensive Player.  If Red is offense and Black is defense, put your chips on Black before the wheel spins.

Again, I am no fan of Steelers or Patriots, but their Super Bowl seasons show good players can be grabbed around pick 31. Bengals even got Tee Higgins at pick 33 in round 2. There are always players on the board around pick 30 to pick 35 that are no surprise that they can be good in the NFL, the only surprise is that they are still on the board.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
What does everyone think of Ojabo? He's injured I know, but he's a good passs rusher.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote