Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT, DRAFT DAY or GAME DAY ?
Lets see what the answers are.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Draft day is meaningless without game day. Seems simple.
Reply/Quote
Interesting question. I think game day is the obvious answer for most fans in general. But as someone whose 'formative fan years' was during the Shula, Coslet, LeBeau eras, because the Bengals never invested in free agents, the draft felt much more important. Heck, they were usually out of the playoffs by week 8 most years so the draft was all we had to look forward to.

I used to catch a lot of he!! in college from my roommates because I'd spend hours "playing" Madden on the PS2. And by playing, I mean I would spend all my time focusing on free agency & the draft and would simulate the season. :)
Reply/Quote
More important for? Adding new talent to your roster?

Then the draft.
Reply/Quote
"Draft day" has a much bigger impact on the quality of the team than "game day".  But the only "results" that matter are what happens on game day.  

It is thrilling to get presents on Christmas and your birthday even if you don't use them on those days.

So I guess the question is too vague to answer.  
Reply/Quote
Draft day is forgotten or remembered very badly if there is no winning on game day.
Reply/Quote
Right now nothing is more important for us than the day Joe Burrow's parents got down n' dirty.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I love the damn draft. Criticize if need be, but it's like us actually making the playoffs for me.

When you have the chance to bring in a player that will be a part of your favorite team for a least 4 years, a player that can be a difference maker on the roster, it's really exciting. Brings a lot of hope and refreshment.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I would have to say draft day. There is an old expression in the business world: You hire in haste, you fire in leisure. Basically, if you make hiring mistakes you are stuck with them, at least for a while, and in the NFL it can cripple your franchise. See, Ogbuehi/Fisher selections as examples.
Reply/Quote
Draft day, coaches need good talent and this is especially true with our current way below average coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
Call it recency bias, but TB just won the SB with a bunch of guys they didn't draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Call it recency bias, but TB just won the SB with a bunch of guys they didn't draft.

They drafted Scotty Miller out of BGSU who contributed big time in the championship game against the Packers. They also had the drafted rookie OL to protect Brady.

To your point though, spending big money on the right free agents or having the GOAT QB who can persuade players to sign also helps.
Reply/Quote
Draft day can set up or set back your franchise for years to come... While game day only affects that 1 game of the season.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: They drafted Scotty Miller out of BGSU who contributed big time in the championship game against the Packers. They also had the drafted rookie OL to protect Brady.

To your point though, spending big money on the right free agents or having the GOAT QB who can persuade players to sign also helps.

Right, but for the sake of discussion that's the flavor of the week, so to speak.  I'd say gameday is more important because teams that get boatloads of high draft picks are rarely the teams that win the most championships...but then again, draft day is important because if you don't pick the right guys then you suffer the consequences on gameday.
Reply/Quote
Draft day in the spring, game day in the fall.
Reply/Quote
Let's rephrase the question. Who is more important, Duke Tobin or Zac Taylor?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 01:06 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Let's rephrase the question. Who is more important, Duke Tobin or Zac Taylor?

one will be here long after the other is gone
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 05:01 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Heck, they were usually out of the playoffs by week 8 most years so the draft was all we had to look forward to.

Agree with this.  Game day is more important than draft day up until your team is out of the playoffs.  Then you start looking forward to the draft and next season, rooting for your team to lose to improve their draft position, etc.  

I guarantee you that Jags fans are far more excited about getting their new QB this Thursday than they were about a meaningless week 17 game.
Reply/Quote
I can tell you why I asked now that some answers.

I lived through Bengal Bungles of 1990s and fans began focusing on next draft at start of seasons, which never happened in the 1980's Bengals years or even 1970's Bengals years. Since Marvin's last seasons and Zacs first seasons, I have seen fans back to talking draft on first game of season. Some want Bengals to lose every game to get Pick 1. Some want Bengals to lose every game for 2 years because they look that far ahead on college players.

I'm guessing that teams that win most seasons have fans that would never consider wanting losing seasons to set up draft day. I'm also guessing fans of teams use to losing a lot, just forget Super Bowl and winning and their Big Day is draft day. This may be why losing fans want to lose every year to set up draft. They feel the Super Bowl is so out of reach, they make draft day their big day.

So it is possible fans of winning teams talk about winning, and fans of a team with no play-off wins in 30 years talk about draft day and losing on purpose to get higher picks. I just wanted to see if any Bengals fans still care about game day, or are they already seeing some college dude that they want to lose every game in 2021 to get in 2022.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 08:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Right now nothing is more important for us than the day Joe Burrow's parents got down n' dirty.

It's pure speculation, but I'd bet those that pick draft day get down and dirty less often than those who choose game day.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote