Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHOEVER GETS BAMA HEISMAN
DeVonta Smith is a rare athlete than on the right team could run the ball, go short routes, go deep routes, and be a great weapon. Andy Reid and his coaches would know how to use him. Some team will get him and this Heisman that tore up SEC and Ohio State may be best player in the draft. I'm interested in which team gets him, and bad news if he goes to an AFC North team, because he will be one tough player to defense. SEC couldn't, neither could Ohio State. He can beat a team many ways. Oh Yes, he is also a great kick returner. Just a Pure Athlete.

Some say throw out that he dominated SEC and Ohio State, their computer charts don't like him. Those same computer charts said college star Joe Montana would not be good, so Bengals took the Throwin' Samoan. Sometimes when you see a college player dominate everybody, you go with that, not some dude with a slide ruler graphics. DeVonta Smith dominating the SEC and Championship Game to be Mister Heisman means the guy can play some ball.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I guess this would be an issue if we weren't looking at Ja'mar Chase, who had an equally dominant season the year before when he played a full season and torched the SEC.

There isn't much difference between the 2, but in most minds, Chase is a better prospect.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:16 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess this would be an issue if we weren't looking at Ja'mar Chase, who had an equally dominant season the year before when he played a full season and torched the SEC.

There isn't much difference between the 2, but in most minds, Chase is a better prospect.

About 40lbs actually...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Computer charts in the NFL in 1979?!? Hardly. He was downgraded by old-school scouting. His 25 TD’s to 25 Int’s didn’t help him, nor did the 52% completion percentage. His arm was considered weak as well. Sounds like he is more similar to Mac Jones.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:07 PM)kevin Wrote: DeVonta Smith is a rare athlete than on the right team could run the ball, go short routes, go deep routes, and be a great weapon.  Andy Reid and his coaches would know how to use him.  Some team will get him and this Heisman that tore up SEC and Ohio State may be best player in the draft.  I'm interested in which team gets him, and bad news if he goes to an AFC North team, because he will be one tough player to defense. SEC couldn't, neither could Ohio State.  He can beat a team many ways.  Oh Yes, he is also a great kick returner.  Just a Pure Athlete.

Some say throw out that he dominated SEC and Ohio State, their computer charts don't like him.  Those same computer charts said college star Joe Montana would not be good, so Bengals took the Throwin' Samoan. Sometimes when you see a college player dominate everybody, you go with that, not some dude with a slide ruler graphics.  DeVonta Smith dominating the SEC and Championship Game to be Mister Heisman means the guy can play some ball.

Everyone keeps citing Smith's game against OSU as showing he was elite. Sarkisian just completely out schemed the Buckeyes D like a surgeon. He was putting him in motion and getting crazy mismatches. On the one big deep cross over the middle from the 3 spot the Buckeyes covered him with their middle linebacker Tuf Borland. He has a 1.3 RAS(he is slow and head lead in his shoes). I could have prolly gotten open.
Reply/Quote
Wait till two LBs crush the kid. His body won't hold up.
Reply/Quote
I like Smith, but think he is a pretty great risk as an early pick. I understand he stayed relatively healthy in college, but it is a proven statistic that most guys that size simply don't hold up well at the NFL level. He is a very smooth route runner, though, with excellent change of direction. The nickname "Slim Reaper" might be the funniest I have ever heard.

The chances that he falls all the way to a pitt or Balt is very slim. He isn't really what those teams look for anyways.

I'm betting he ends up in Miami. They have a real need, and he played with Tua at Bama. So did Waddle, but I think he goes first of those two.
Reply/Quote
Chase is clearly the better prospect.

With that said, desean Jackson stayed relatively healthy his first 11 years in the league and is diminutive in size. He made huge impacts on those teams.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:07 PM)kevin Wrote: DeVonta Smith is a rare athlete than on the right team could run the ball, go short routes, go deep routes, and be a great weapon.  Andy Reid and his coaches would know how to use him.  Some team will get him and this Heisman that tore up SEC and Ohio State may be best player in the draft.  I'm interested in which team gets him, and bad news if he goes to an AFC North team, because he will be one tough player to defense. SEC couldn't, neither could Ohio State.  He can beat a team many ways.  Oh Yes, he is also a great kick returner.  Just a Pure Athlete.

Some say throw out that he dominated SEC and Ohio State, their computer charts don't like him.  Those same computer charts said college star Joe Montana would not be good, so Bengals took the Throwin' Samoan. Sometimes when you see a college player dominate everybody, you go with that, not some dude with a slide ruler graphics.  DeVonta Smith dominating the SEC and Championship Game to be Mister Heisman means the guy can play some ball.

Dominantly College and dominating the pros are different things.   like any draft pick its possible he has a long productive career or possible he gets knocked out in 1 hit.
Reply/Quote
Best thing that could happen to tje Bengals is trade back to #9 and get Smith plus another second or more. Chase is a better prospect than Smith but not better than Smith plus another second.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 11:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Best thing that could happen to tje Bengals is trade back to #9 and get Smith plus another second or more. Chase is a better prospect than Smith but not better than Smith plus another second.

Hard to say. If chase ends up the next Julio/OBJ (Pre injury) while smith ends up like desean Jackson... that second round pick better be pretty good (steinbach/Zietler). If he ends up like Jake fisher, what a terrible trade.

If they think chase is the next “that guy” there is no reason to mess with it. If they grade similar it makes sense to trade back. From all indications, they feel like they can get a 1a player, and in my opinion there are only 3, smith isn’t one of them.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 10:28 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Chase is clearly the better prospect.

With that said, desean Jackson stayed relatively healthy his first 11 years in the league and is diminutive in size.  He made huge impacts on those teams.

Not clearly, several have Smith or Waddle with higher grade.  If he was 6'3 he would be a no brainer, but he's an average sized WR.  He great at contested balls and after the catch, but if there's a weakness with him, it's his ability to separate.,
Reply/Quote
I think Smith will surprise a lot of people. He's a great route runner with excellent hands, and the kind of guy its hard to get a solid hit on. He's slippery. The way he moves his body helps him take less of those big hits. He's definitely not on the level of Chase, but he's not far behind it. Also, Waddle I think will open some eyes big time. That dude is a big time playmaker in my eyes and may end up better than Smith. Either way, Chase, Smith and Waddle are all 3 primed for good NFL careers if they stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 11:43 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not clearly, several have Smith or Waddle with higher grade.  If he was 6'3 he would be a no brainer, but he's an average sized WR.  He great at contested balls and after the catch, but if there's a weakness with him, it's his ability to separate.,

95%, or more, of experts have chase as highest rated. I’d say that’s pretty clearly.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 11:50 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: 95%, or more, of experts have chase as highest rated.  I’d say that’s pretty clearly.

Eh, is there anyone who doesn't have Pitts at TE1?

I'd love to see the discussion on this board if Chase went to school at Bama, Florida or Clemson.  Anywhere but LSU.  I would bet there wouldn't be this outcry to draft him.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 12:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Eh, is there anyone who doesn't have Pitts at TE1?

I'd love to see the discussion on this board if Chase went to school at Bama, Florida or Clemson.  Anywhere but LSU.  I would bet there wouldn't be this outcry to draft him.

Pitts is expected to go 4 overall by most draft analysts. That is why he isn’t in most conversations.

Also, his production at the college level left some to be desired.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2021, 12:26 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Pitts is expected to go 4 overall by most draft analysts.  That is why he isn’t in most conversations.

Also, his production at the college level left some to be desired.

Show me any TE that has big time production at the college level.

770 Yards and 12 TDs in 8 games isn't exactly bad production

7/129 and a TD in the SEC title game.  
Reply/Quote
To me Smith will be the 1st round steal of draft if he is picked outside top 10.
Reply/Quote
I never said in this Bengals should take him at 5. Chase or Sewell.

What I'm saying is some team will get a great athlete in him. I hope it is not an AFC North team.

Look, if he could take the hits in the SEC, he can play in the NFL. Yes, The SEC is THAT GOOD. Most NFL players are SEC. The SEC is better than other conferences. If he could Dominate SEC enough to WIN the Heisman, HE IS TOUGH ENOUGH.

and to the person that tried to say Joe Montana was no good in college, WOW. Look, Montana took Notre Dame 80 yards in last minute to beat USC. He took Notre Dame 80 yards in last minute to win Cotton Bowl. He took 49ers 80 yards in last minutes to beat Bengals in Super Bowl. Any scout should have seen Joe Montana was the best 2 minute drill quarterback ever. I think it's safe to say The So Called Draft Experts who said Joe Montana wasn't good enough were wrong, The Hall Of Fame proves that. I knew Joe Montana was that good before he ever played in NFL, and this Heisman Winner from Championship SEC Alabama will be a good pick for some team. Again, I hope he doesn't end up in AFC North to play Bengals twice a year.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2021, 04:07 AM)kevin Wrote: I never said in this Bengals should take him at 5.   Chase or Sewell.

What I'm saying is some team will get a great athlete in him.  I hope it is not an AFC North team.

Look, if he could take the hits in the SEC, he can play in the NFL.  Yes, The SEC is THAT GOOD.  Most NFL players are SEC.  The SEC is better than other conferences. If he could Dominate SEC enough to WIN the Heisman, HE IS TOUGH ENOUGH.

and to the person that tried to say Joe Montana was no good in college, WOW.    Look, Montana took Notre Dame 80 yards in last minute to beat USC.  He took Notre Dame 80 yards in last minute to win Cotton Bowl.  He took 49ers 80 yards in last minutes to beat Bengals in Super Bowl.  Any scout should have seen Joe Montana was the best 2 minute drill quarterback ever.  I think it's safe to say The So Called Draft Experts who said Joe Montana wasn't good enough were wrong, The Hall Of Fame proves that.  I knew Joe Montana was that good before he ever played in NFL, and this Heisman Winner from Championship SEC Alabama will be a good pick for some team.  Again, I hope he doesn't end up in AFC North to play Bengals twice a year.

While that's true of the top end, you'll never convince me that Alabamas schedule is some gauntlet.  They have plenty of cupcakes on that list.
Reply/Quote