Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
WHY are you surprised? Most of our core left in free agency over the past 2 years...
I heard all offseason people saying we got better because we drafted 2 new shiny skill-players in Ross and Mixon. I hear we made the playoffs 5 out of 6 years.

Well, most of our core left and we haven't replaced them with quality players.

Our 2 best offensive lineman left. We replaced them with 2 inferior players. Fact: 4 out of our 5 starting lineman are backups on most playoff teams.

We've done a decent job replacing our WR's that left...so I won't harp on the Sanu and Jones losses.

Reggie Nelson left. Replaced with a run stuffing safety who isn't great against the pass at this point. This has caused Iloka to be less effective.

Peko left. Replaced with Billings who just isn't as good. Maybe one day he will be good, but not now.

It was VERY EASY to see this coming. Most of the people on this message board think the young guys that the Bengals draft are going to step in and be Superstars. That just isn't the case. You're getting sold on useless PR.

And to think that some people on these boards actually think the Bengals have some great strategy that other teams are following. There is no model. The model is to replace guys that want a lot of money with unproven or young guys who cost less...or washed up free agents on 1 year deals. Then, draft a guy who won't play much Year 1 who will replace a veteran who costs a lot in 2-3 years. Rinse. Repeat.

We had a Top 5 roster in the NFL for a season or two...and instead of addressing a couple of the weaknesses on those rosters...they saved money looking at this season. HOW IS THAT WORKING OUT?

Hey atleast the Bengals have cap space to keep this group together!
Reply/Quote
Expecting a management team that hasn't won in 26+ years to field a competitive team is just too much.

But hey...atleast we didn't sign Zeitler or Whitworth to 'bad' contracts.
Reply/Quote
The reason we lost those guys is because PB didn't want to give them any more money. PB worries that if this team would ever win a Super Bowl,he would really have to open the pocketbook to keep all the good players. And God forbid he would have to do that!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Did Zeitler and Whitworth get overpaid? Probably. But the salary cap in the NFL rises by $10 million each year. That makes salaries rise.
We won 6.5 games last year and lost our 2 best offensive lineman...and fans expected us to win 10 games?

HOW does that happen? Our roster got worse...not better.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, you knew they would suck and today they did. I think today answered one question and one question only: Does Zampese deserve this job? The answer is a resounding no.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:44 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, you knew they would suck and today they did.  I think today answered one question and one question only:  Does Zampese deserve this job?  The answer is a resounding no.

I don't think Zampese is a good coordinator. But, when you have an offensive line where 4 of the 5 guys would be backups on most teams...your offense is going to be limited.

The Ravens don't even have a good defense. Just wait until we play the Steelers! Or JJ Watt and the Texans.
Reply/Quote
0 points with the players on this team = should be sent packing
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:48 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: 0 points with the players on this team = should be sent packing

There is no quick fix for this. We need 4 new offensive lineman.

We will be recovering from this for years.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think Zampese is a good coordinator. But, when you have an offensive line where 4 of the 5 guys would be backups on most teams...your offense is going to be limited.

The Ravens don't even have a good defense. Just wait until we play the Steelers! Or JJ Watt and the Texans.

Suggs is better than anyone the Steelers have. He dominated all day.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Suggs dominated all day long. That's why he's a future HoF.

He's like 36 years old. Him dominating was more our poor offensive line than him.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's like 36 years old. Him dominating was more our poor offensive line than him.

Who on Pitt is better? 

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who on Pitt is better? 

Their scheme is better and they have a bunch of young, quick LB's. TJ Watt looks better.

The Ravens have 1 36 year old guy. They're not some dominating defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Their scheme is better and they have a bunch of young, quick LB's. TJ Watt looks better.

The Ravens have 1 36 year old guy. They're not some dominating defense.

Guess we'll see. Ravens shutout a team with plenty of weapons, bad oline or not. Steelers almost lost to the Browns. Pitt's secondary is nothing to write home about. 

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Guess we'll see. Ravens shutout a team with plenty of weapons, bad oline or not. Steelers almost lost to the Browns. Pitt's secondary is nothing to write home about. 

This isn't a case of the Ravens shutting down an offensive juggernaut. We simply put aren't that good.

We won 6.5 games last year and lost our 2 best offensive lineman and Peko who was better than Billings is now. You get worse when that happens.

Even losing Maualuga hurts some. Who thought that would be the case?
Reply/Quote
If only some people saw this trainwreck coming...
Reply/Quote
So many threads/posts start with the premise that people are somehow surprised by these results. Nobody is surprised. We all saw this coming, except for the homers that predict winning no matter what.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If only some people saw this trainwreck coming...

There were many of us screaming about letting two best OL go and not addressing it.

Knew it had disaster written all over it but was hoping somehow it would work out. 

Was always Peko supporter too.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Oh and I am a Homer !

Still read the writing on the wall this season.

It all started when we had one of the best teams in NFL and a good OL and decided to draft for future in lieu of rolling the dice on a SB.

Or at least a playoff victory.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't think most of us are surprised, Pistons.

Outside of a small handful of homerific predictions, I saw mostly guys saying we'd win 6-7 games all off-season.

I don't think we're losing because the entire roster is bad. That's where you and I differ. It's just that this o-line is so epically bad that it completely cripples the offense. Yeah the defense was bad against the Steelers, but that was a typical Marvin choke job special. I do think this is still a top 10 defense at the end of the year.

If we had a competent o-line (not even great, just competent) I still think we'd have a 10 win team. Would they still lose in the first round? You betcha, but the talent is still there outside of o-line and maybe receivers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Not surprised, mad about it actually.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote