Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WJIII hoping to sign long-term deal with Bengals
The former first-round pick struggled at times last season, partially due to a torn labrum in his right shoulder. 

He was placed on injured reserve after aggravating the injury against the Dolphins in Week 16. 

Despite being hurt, Jackson appeared in 14 of a possible 16 games last season. He underwent surgery in January. 

“It’s nagging, and it’s telling you to fix it. It’s a lot of pain," Jackson told Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. "I’m fully healthy and ready to go. I put on some muscle. I play some big receivers this year.”

The 27-year-old is hoping to sign a long-term deal with the Bengals. 

“They picked up my fifth-year option, so that was a blessing." Jackson said. “I just go out there and have fun and let everything play out. I love it in Cincinnati. I’m comfortable. They’ve got a great coaching staff and great teammates around me.

“I would love to come back [to Cincinnati]. Right now, I’m just focused and ready to get the season started."

According to Wilson, the Bengals rebuffed multiple NFL teams that inquired about him before the trade deadline last season.
Reply/Quote
It's interesting all the FA won't come to Cincinnati talk you hear. Yet our players are always talking about how much they like the city and organization.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 03:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It's interesting all the FA won't come to Cincinnati talk you hear. Yet our players are always talking about how much they like the city and organization.

Well when you’re trying to get a new contract you aren’t going to publicly say you hate your bosses...
Reply/Quote
What a letdown from a player who looked so promising there for a bit there.

The number of times he's been put on the IR and the number of Interceptions he's had in his 4 year career are the same (2), and he was a huge disappointment last year.

I don't see how you can give him a long term deal based off of last season. Really need to see a huge bounce-back year from him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 04:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What a letdown from a player who looked so promising there for a bit there.

The number of times he's been put on the IR and the number of Interceptions he's had in his 4 year career are the same (2), and he was a huge disappointment last year.

I don't see how you can give him a long term deal based off of last season. Really need to see a huge bounce-back year from him.

At least he has played at a high level, so it's not ridiculous to think he might bounce back.  So there is at least some hope.  And I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to play with a shoulder injured enough to need surgery.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Glad to hear that he had the shoulder fixed, and has recovered well. I can attest from personal experience that having a torn up shoulder can be debilitating. Also glad to hear the optimism about remaining with the Bengals. Some may dismiss his statement as simply "Pro athlete speak", but for him to be outwardly vocal is significant, in my opinion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 05:29 PM)McC Wrote: At least he has played at a high level, so it's not ridiculous to think he might bounce back.  So there is at least some hope.  And I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to play with a shoulder injured enough to need surgery.

Yeah, we have seen his peak and it was pretty darn good (though he has never shown the ball skills you'd like from a CB). That said, if you can bring back 2017 WJ3, by all means that guy deserves to be paid. I just want to see this year if he's going to be 2017 WJ3 or continue his dive of 2019 before you do so.

The Bengals would be a whole lot better for it if he could, so I hope he does.

The injury didn't help him, but that's also concerning in itself that he's only played 16 games 1 time in 4 years and ended the season on the IR 2 times in 4 years.

Reply/Quote
Get him at full speed?

[Image: DQYYxeaW0AYzE_l?format=jpg&name=medium]

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 03:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Well when you’re trying to get a new contract you aren’t going to publicly say you hate your bosses...

And you are always going to say you want to re-sign with your current team.

Come out and say "Let's get this season over so I can get out of here" and you might not see the field as much as you need to showcase yourself for the next team.  Additionally, the next team might be less willing to take a chance on you.
Reply/Quote
So we just assume he's a liar and no one can take his words at face value any more? This is some world we're living in, ain't it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I can’t believe he’s already 27. Time flies. He’s been one of the biggest disappointments the past couple years after that promising rookie season, but I think he can bounce back if he’s fully healthy. Better players around him on the defense should help, too.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 09:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can’t believe he’s already 27. Time flies. He’s been one of the biggest disappointments the past couple years after that promising rookie season, but I think he can bounce back if he’s fully healthy. Better players around him on the defense should help, too.

It wasn't his rookie season. He missed his entire rookie season. A torn pec if I remember correctly.

Reply/Quote
I believe he'll bounce back this season.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 09:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It wasn't his rookie season. He missed his entire rookie season. A torn pec if I remember correctly.

I’m aware of that. I clearly meant his first season he played. Football is weird in that you’re not a rookie anymore even if you play in 0 games. Other sports like hockey for example it’s by number of games played. Which I think makes more sense.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 03:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It's interesting all the FA won't come to Cincinnati talk you hear. Yet our players are always talking about how much they like the city and organization.

I really don;t buy that.. we just signed a host of FAs.. it is more the Bengals as a whole are not going to shell out or get into a bidding war... and very few players that leave the team have much negative to say about the organization.. which is a good thing
Reply/Quote
He was highly rated in 2017(90) and 2018(73)by PFF but had a down year last season (53). I think he is going to have a huge year this season and the Bengals will have a tough decision between him & Lawson has who they will franchise Tag next off-season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 09:03 PM)McC Wrote: So we just assume he's a liar and no one can take his words at face value any more? This is some world we're living in, ain't it?

Nah, I think we are saying he is an intelligent dude. Only a dumbass would say something other than positive things during his contract year. He might fully be true to his word... or he isn’t but isn’t a moron...
Reply/Quote

When you are on the outside all you hear is the national media bull crap. When you play on the team you make your mind up from your experience here.
Reply/Quote
I hope he bounces back, but I wouldn't break the bank for him. If we re-sign AJ, we could target a CB in the 21 draft. Assuming we still have a country next year.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I think he is the best CB on our roster, but The Bengals really shouldn't give him a long term deal based on the way he played last year. I fully expect him to have a much better season in 2020, but I want to see it before I give him a new long term deal.

But remember that Alexander is just on a one year deal.
Reply/Quote